Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Angry Doll

Default Question about rules

Me and my friend both at level 9, it is his turn and he kick the door revealing a floating nose. I instantly use potion of halitosis to kill his monster. In this case who win the combat and go to level 10? It is his monster, but I use my card to kill steal it.

Thanks
Angry Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Question about rules

It was his combat and his monster. The only way for you to have gotten the level was to have stolen the entire combat with a card such as Transferral Potion. He gets the level and wins the game. Words such as "you" and "your" on cards refer to the combat owner in cases of combat cards or a cursed player in cases of curses and not to the person who played the card.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Mister Ed

Unless the card specifies that the rewards for combat go elsewhere, they always go to the person whose turn it is. And if the card KILLS the monster, and doesn't specify that you don't get levels, then the person who was facing it gets the levels he is due.

I'd need the card in front of me to judge based on its exact text, but those are the general rules. All rewards from combat go to the combat owner (treasure is then distributed to any helpers according to their agreement) unless a card specifies otherwise. And killing a monster gets you the levels due, no matter who made it possible for you to kill it, unless the card used to kill it specifies otherwise.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

The Potion Of Halitosis clearly states it kills the Floating Nose, so that issue is one we can avoid discussing.

Unless a card says otherwise, the rewards always go to the player in combat. Playing Potion Of Halitosis on the Floating Nose when you are not fighting it is a nice way to give the player who is fighting it a level and 3 Treasures (assuming he doesn't have other Monsters left to fight, whom he'd have to defeat to get his rewards).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Angry Doll

Thanks for the clarification guys!
Angry Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Bearget

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
(assuming he doesn't have other Monsters left to fight, whom he'd have to defeat to get his rewards).
By "rewards", do you mean the Treasures earned by killing the Nose, or both the Treasures and the Level? I am not clear on whether a player is guaranteed a Level after having immediately killing a monster, even if later events in the same combat force him to Run Away. The FAQ also discusses this situation, but also uses the ambiguous term "spoils".

My gut reaction is, even if you immediately or automatically kill a monster (or several), if you Run Away from the combat you don't gain either Levels or Treasure for any of it. Is this correct?
Bearget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Mister Ed

That is correct. If you have to Run Away, you do not get the Treasure OR Levels from a combat, even if you killed one of the monsters in said combat in some way.

I suppose some cards might break that rule, but that IS the general rule, and any card that broke it would have to be very explicit about it.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Bearget

Is it safe to say that the only results which would prevent you from gaining the level after you have killed one of the monsters in combat are a) being forced to Run Away, b) somehow being killed before combat is resolved, or c) having a card reset the entire combat as if it never happened?

That is to say, as long as the combat is resolved in such a way that the player is alive and did not Run Away, he will at the very least gain the level for the Nose?
Bearget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating nose, potion of halitosis