Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Psychotime

Default Face changing?

Hiya, Silly Rookie here.

Ok, I'm trying to make a character that's a Noppera-bō.

I'm new to pen and paper RPGs, and I'm trying to find out how exactly I would apply the main trait of the creature: The ability to change their face. While it's essentially shape-shifting, it's limited to only one place. And it's a racial trait. How do I apply something like this?

Last edited by Psychotime; 06-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Face changing?

Hmmm ... there's others who are better steeped in "Gurps Fu" than me, but I'd call "Face Only" a 10 percent limitation on Shapeshifting.

To my mind, it's similar to the "Flawed" limitation in GURPS Powers (also 10%) where every form you change into has a cosmetic imperfection that keeps you from duplicating somebody. In this case, the imperfection is that your body doesn't change with it. That limits its utility for impersonation, since in most scenarios, people will be able to tell that the Sailor Moon head doesn't go with the rest of the body. (At least, as long as a TV monitor, webcam, or some other sort of tight-frame vision isn't involved.)

As for the fact that it's a racial trait, it depends on what you mean by that. Is the power magical, and thus not likely to work when magical energy is weak or gone? (10 percent limitation for "Magical"). Does it require the creature to use its own energy reserves to power the ability, costing it Fatigue? (10 percent limitaiton for "Biological") Or is it something that's simply a neat detail but has no further game effect? (No points)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Phantasm

There's a trait which handles this perfectly: Elastic Skin, for 20 points, page B51.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
There's a trait which handles this perfectly: Elastic Skin, for 20 points, page B51.
D'oh! <smacks own forehead> And next someone will need to remind me that Steve Jackson owns Steve Jackson Games ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Psychotime

Cool! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
transmetahuman

Elastic Skin has been described by Kromm in such a way that it seems to cover a lot more than its name would suggest - basically Elastic Skin is Cosmetic Morph without the ability to change your mass, overall body structure, or voice, and trading the ability to scan and memorize others for impersonation for the need to use Disguise skill (lost the url for his post on it, sorry). You certainly seem to be able to change skin color and texture, fine bone structure (jawline, frex), hair color/length/texture and maybe even turn skin to scales or feathers. All of which supports using it for this; I just wanted to point out its versatility, and suggest you put a limitation on it if you can only change your face.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
(lost the url for his post on it, sorry).
Was it this?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Was it this?
Oh, those halcyon days! When rules questions were weighty, important issues! ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers