Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #1
giganerds

Default [Powers] Mass Effect Biotics

Recently, I bought a XBox 360 and simply comes addict to play Mass Effect. With a side effect my mind start to shinning in make some convertions to GURPS. I don't put anything on paper yet, but I thinking about the biotics yesterday.

My first question is about an ability called Warp. This power causes the atomic structure to become more fragile for everyone catched in the area. So the targets taken a cycled damage (with a cosmic enhancement to ignore the DR) and the DR drops. The first part is quite trivial, but my doubt is the second.

An affliction which drops tha target DR appears to be the right choice, but the armors and shields from advanced TLs tend to be fairly high. So this affliction can become quite costly to overcome the target deffence, aside this some of them have hardned and (semi) ablative modifiers.

1) Have a way to create a power who simply cause DR drops to a fraction? (While this sense some Munckinknism, I could pass through the solution when consulting Basic Set and Powers)

2) If not, the resulting affliction must have the damage reduction based in the most costly version of the trait correct? (For example, if the scenario have an defensive tech with six levels of hardning and force field, then the affliction must have this reflect in the cost)

Another catch, is the cooldown time, I know this is created to make the game playable (is one of the tecniques used in various video games to not make the character absolutely powerfull). Obviously this can be simulated with limited use or another limitation similar. But the technology have the Amps (Amplifiers), some kind of battery which boost the power reducing the cooldown, amplifing damage, etc.

3) How cost this (in credits) to make it fair in the game?

Thx in advance.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Powers] Mass Effect Biotics

Check out Corrosive Damage for the DR-reduction.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
giganerds

Thx for the response Molock, but I seen about a effect to reduce the DR for a while. Corrosive attacks are permanently until a force field regenerating or a armor be fixed.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganerds View Post
Thx for the response Molock, but I seen about a effect to reduce the DR for a while. Corrosive attacks are permanently until a force field regenerating or a armor be fixed.
Well, you can cheapen them very much by making them temporary. Not quite RAW, but seems like a good way to avoid the Resistance roll that Afflictions have.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganerds View Post
If most-attacks are Armor Piercing and most defenses are hardened (a reasonable assumption for the setting, I think), then you could define Warp as negating the Hardened Advantage rather than the DR itself.

Each point of DR costs 5, and hardened is a +20% of advantage, so to negate Hardened 1 on 1 point of DR is +1%, Hardened 2 is +2% per point, and so on.

You could also tack on (Based on Other Attribute, +20%) to shift the resistance roll to the Armor's HT -- usually only 12.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Refplace

Affliction Vulnerability
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Affliction Vulnerability