Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
cptbutton

Default Re: Disadvantages for a naive, blue-eyed PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Is "blue-eyed" a Swiss idiom for "naive"?
I know it as something like that in the US, usually as a "blue-eyed innocent". I recognized it immediately, FWIW.

Of course as a geek, my fist thought was that in Tsolyanu it means Social Stigma (Cursed of Avanthe) (-5).
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I know it as something like that in the US, usually as a "blue-eyed innocent".
Interesting. I might have said "wide-eyed innocent". The joy of language.

Quote:
Of course as a geek, my fist thought was that in Tsolyanu it means Social Stigma (Cursed of Avanthe) (-5).
Or that you've channeled all the blue luxin you're going to be able to in this lifetime. Or just eat a lot of melange.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Edges

I find this thread offensive.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #14
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
It's a Danish idiom, but rather archaic. Probably it's a standard European (or Germanic) thing, and may be more current in Switzerland than in Denmark. It still made perfect sense to me, though.

I think it's a reference to babies (apparently?) being born with blue eyes regardless of what their later eye colour will develop into (or is that only Caucasian babies?).
Just so.

Babies are blue eyed and thus blue-eyed-ness is perceived as a naive and childish thing to be.

Of course, not all blue-eyed people are naive, any more than Tyrion Lannister wears motley. But that's the idiom.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #15
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Is "blue-eyed" a Swiss idiom for "naive"?
It's actually a Standard German synonym for "naive" that most native speakers would use without even thinking twice about the literal mean, even though it can also mean that. Here's the explanation. Of course such things don't translate well.

Back to the topic: I think the quintessential part is Gullibility with a healthy dash of Xenophilia. "Oh, you're a secret policeman! That's fascinating. I bet you catch a lot of evil guys who want to bring down the free country of Iran." Combine that with a few quirk-level Delusions and a marked lack of Current Affairs and possibly History and Area Knowledge and you got your "blue-eyed" boy.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #16
Anaraxes

Thanks for the language lesson. So, no extra Disadvantages we have to hunt for.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #17
Onkl

Thank you all for your input! The creative juices are flowing again! And yes, blue-eyed was just another word for a young, wet-behind-the-ears, green adventurer...

Cheers!

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
"Not dry behind the ears (yet)" is Danish idiom too, and seems to me to be somewhat less archaic than "blue-eyed".

But blue-eyed has stronger connonations of being naive, whereas "wet" refers to youth and perhaps also lack of life experience. So not quite the same, although clearly related.
And if anyone was interested, this holds more or less in Swedish as well - although I don't think "blue-eyed" sounds very archaic.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #19
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I know it as something like that in the US, usually as a "blue-eyed innocent". I recognized it immediately, FWIW.

Where as I instantly associated it with a white dragon. This is much simpler. Is there a specific total we are shooting for with Disadvantages and if so, have we reached it yet? I mean even in a "the character has what it has" build, sometimes a concept calls for a limit so that the character isn't too helpless. ;)

Oh, did we get Reluctant Killer and possibly Combat Paralysis? If it doesn't fit the concept it doesn't fit, but it seems pretty reasonable that the innocent would have a harder time dealing with such things than the more experienced.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue-eyed, disadvantage, gullibility, naive, overconfidence