Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Stealth

Default Anyone interested in playing virtual tabletop GURPS?

My brother, loki_racer, and I are thinking of starting up a GURPS game (he'd be GMing). Since we live in an area with few gamers, we're looking into using virtual tabletop technology to expand our potential player base. We haven't decided on which program/site to use yet, but it'll need to be available for both Windows PCs and Macs (since he has the former, and I the latter).

Please don't post your recommendations, since there are other threads devoted to that topic; instead, I'm looking for people who would be interested in playing with us. If you are interested, though, and already use a VTT, then mentioning it wouldn't bother me at all.

We're tossing around two setting ideas, so if you're only interested in one, or interested in both, but more in one, then please say so.

1) Based on the movie, Jumper. The players would be playing the part of Jumpers, against the Paladins. This would, of course, be implemented with GURPS, using some custom rules.

2) Based on the real world, with one exception: the players (only) have one (significant) superpower. "One" is key here; we don't want someone with flying AND superstrength. However, this one superpower could consist of multiple advantages as long as they could be described as one superpower, such as Regeneration and Regrowth. loki_racer might allow multiple superpowers if they're closely related enough, such as supersight and superhearing, but that'd be up to him.

We're tossing around a couple different ideas for how to implement this (in GURPS, of course). We might have the players create non-superpowered characters, then give them extra points to be spent only on superpower advantages. Another way would be for the player to describe in loose terms the superpower they'd want, and loki_racer would figure out which advantage(s) they'd get to represent it. He might also decide to have the players roleplay the characters' discovery of their powers by having the players provide a list of superpowers in which they'd be interested, from which loki_racer would choose one; thus the player wouldn't know which superpower his character has.

We're looking to run the game once a week.

Last edited by Stealth; 06-29-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Adding info about frequency of play
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: Anyone interested in playing virtual tabletop GURPS?

I'd be interested (more in choice #2 than #1), but my ability to play would depend upon frequency of play, and may be somewhat limited by my work.

I'd be interested to hear more about it, at any rate. Oh, and I don't have any experience with virtual tabletop programs.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
... my ability to play would depend upon frequency of play ...
We would want to play once a week. I also added this info to the end of my original post.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Tyneras

I would certainly be interested. I am sorta leaning to the super powers (#2) because I dont know anything about Jumper.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Exeter

My interest is piqued. What sort of software would I need to install on my computer to participate?
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I'd be more interested in #2. But first I want to find the GMing style, campaign genre, power level etc.

Is it gonna be a lighthearted mini-supers game, a Jericho-clone Black Ops game, or a game of running away from MIBs because they want to put us into a lab (or something along the lines of Witch Hunter Robin)?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
We would want to play once a week. I also added this info to the end of my original post.
I likely will not be able to do this, but I wish you the best of luck with the game, and I'll be interested in hearing about how it goes.

Tags
looking for group, powers, virtual tabletop