Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
The Benj

Default Re: Secret - lose a hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Should probably be -10, with the One Hand advantage be -15 of the -20 and the other -5 being Social Stigma: Criminal.
Yep, that's the ticket.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Otaku

In a culture where theft is punished by lopping off a hand, doesn't a -1 Social Stigma seem a bit... low? I mean, it can't be too terrible (don't want it to become a "Kill on sight" kind of thing), but... well do I just not know the RAW guidelines?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #23
Anders

It's the standard Social Stigma (Criminal) disadvantage. I'm setting this in a medieval setting, and in medieval times ludicrously hard (by our standards). Remember, Jean Valjean was sentenced to five years for stealing a loaf of bread - and that was in a more enlightened society. In earlier times, he might very well have lost his head.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #24
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
In a culture where theft is punished by lopping off a hand, doesn't a -1 Social Stigma seem a bit... low? I mean, it can't be too terrible (don't want it to become a "Kill on sight" kind of thing), but... well do I just not know the RAW guidelines?
Social Stigma: Criminal Record isn't just a -1 to reaction penalties; it's also a bar to any activities prohibited to criminals, which by itself can be pretty severe in an adventuring context.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #25
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It's the standard Social Stigma (Criminal) disadvantage. I'm setting this in a medieval setting, and in medieval times ludicrously hard (by our standards). Remember, Jean Valjean was sentenced to five years for stealing a loaf of bread - and that was in a more enlightened society. In earlier times, he might very well have lost his head.
Nah, he was a commoner; they'd have hanged him.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #26
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I hope this is not derailing, since I think this is relevant to your comment, I would just throw out there that crime and punishment was not always the case that later = more enlightened, or earlier = harsher. For instance, in England, compare the early medieval weregild (paying compensation to the injured party for injury/death/theft) to the Renaissance/Enlightenment era Bloody Code (frivolous executions).

Don't feel obligated to make things super-harsh for being a medieval setting, although don't let me stop you if you prefer it that way.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, one hand, secret