Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default Vampires off Earth

Classic vampire disadvantage Nocturnal becomes problem when not on Earth...
Would Metab Control 10 (Hibernation, -60%; Trigger "Day-time") [20] be an excessive alternative?

Day-time being as guaranteed Day/Night for Nocturnal, but Hibernation allowing Will to resist and wake if injured advantage over same. But 20cp seems too high a charge due to Daylight frequency. Perhaps 10cp?

Trying for a gene-mod accidental "disadvantage" for a "perfect" human:)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Vampires off Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Would Metab Control 10 (Hibernation, -60%; Trigger "Day-time") [20] be an excessive alternative?
Personally I'd just go with "blinded by UV"
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller

Day-time being as guaranteed Day/Night for Nocturnal, but Hibernation allowing Will to resist and wake if injured advantage over same. But 20cp seems too high a charge due to Daylight frequency. Perhaps 10cp?
Hibernation probably isn't the way to go. You might consider limited versions of Doesn't Breathe and Doesn't Eat or Drink. That should get the price down to an acceptable level.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
jacobmuller

I was considering adding a vulnerability to UV.
The main thing was Nocturnal = dead from dawn to dusk, period, as in magical.
Hibernation leaves the character apparently dead to the untrained eye, able to resist the desire to hibernate, able to wake if injured, able to elect to hibernate. The standard triggers, extreme cold, hunger, are rated as 60%. Extreme cold and hunger can be avoided. Daytime cannot.

I guess, by using Daytime as the trigger, I'd effectively make this form of hibernation a new Disadvantage:
Eosophobe [-10]* cf Hibernation but trigger is Daytime and cannot elect to hibernate. Effects of resisting are as for missed sleep.

There is also Sleepy, 1/2, [-8] but that's just extra sleep that can be considered hibernation but you don't necessarily appear dead...
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Victor Maxus

Just a reminder that in the story Dracula, the count was very much able to walk about during the day time. His powers were limited in some regards. But the point is, if you want, for Sci Fi space vampires, dump being affected by light, or put some limitations on them if they are caught in direct sunlight (Or the UV as already suggested.)
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Mgellis

You could still use Weakness vs. sunlight. Determine some point in space where "sunlight" becomes "starlight" (probably around the orbit of Jupiter in our solar system...sunlight is at 4% strength at 5 A.U.) so you know where it just stops doing damage.

If you wanted to be picky, you could add Variable, -40% for vampires hiding in the asteroid belt, where they would only take half damage...on the other hand, most vampires would probably avoid Venus and Mercury at all costs!

As far as Nocturnal...hmmm...in theory, a vampire will Nocturnal would be paralyzed in Earth orbit space because it is ALWAYS day, unless he is on the moon, where it is night two weeks out of every month. A vampire with Nocturnal and Draining would probably not like the moon, though...those two-week days mean he's going to lost a lot of HP while he is stuck in his coffin.

Hmmm...if a vampire could get behind a small asteroid, does that count as night? How large does an asteroid have to be for its shadow to count as night (night is, after all, just the shadow of the Earth)?

Last edited by Mgellis; 02-25-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
malloyd

What with having to sleep in their original grave and being unable to cross running water, vampires don't move around much.

If you are using a version which is mystically connected to their native soil, but can transport some with them to survive out of their homeland, you might still use the day/night cycle of that homeland. This does mean that vampires living in another time zone will often be operating in local daylight, but that may not be a problem.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
Opellulo

What about Astronaut werewolves on the moon?

For Vampires i would go for the Sunlight/UV vulnerability too, I find quite cool the idea of a drifting spaceship as a "mobile castle" for a space vampire: Castelvania meets Space Hulk.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
another_nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller
Isn't Trigger: Day-Time -40%?, this of course takes you over the -80% limit but even if you calculate it at that it takes it down to 10 points. But it does seem as more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

Most modern vampires seem able to be active during the day and rather are just succeptible to daylight and/or UV light. If its some mystical curse then UV protection probably wouldn't work but if its UV light then they should be able to be active with sufficient protective clothing (like in the Blade movies), also I'm pretty certain spaceships NEED UV shielding anyway so they would have no problem being active on spaceships. Of course it would stop vampires being able to depressurize and go on spacewalks without spacesuits (which actually would be rather sweet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo
What about Astronaut werewolves on the moon?
the 3e Creatures of the Night had a very cool type of monster which could cause the birth of Midwich style creepy kids with a short lifespan that were connected to the moon. One of the adventure seeds revolved around a group of them attempting to travel to the moon in hopes that they would be able to extend their life span which I thought was a cool idea.

Werewolves on the moon might be stuck in wolf form, but might also become uberwolves, giant monsterous creatures that become something more fearsome than a wolf. Or perhaps the proximity would cause an increase in their mental faculties allowing them to act at human or superhuman levels of intelligence, if they retained their bestial thought pattern they would be terrible predators but if it uplifted them beyond that they might become callous masterminds.

Ships taking off from worlds with rooms might require health tests to stop werewolves boarding incase they fell under the influence of the moon in orbit. A werewolf on a spaceship or space station would be a Baaaad thing.

Of course one theory (heard most recently on "Being Human") is that the transformation is triggered by the tidal pull of the moon so I expect on the moon that would switch to the tidal pull the Earth has on the moon, I don't know how this would vary but my cause differences in the transformation. This would be simpler to stat.

More problematically would be werewolves on worlds with two or more moons, more regular transformations and what happens when theres a double or triple full moon?
another_nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Maxus View Post
But the point is, if you want, for Sci Fi space vampires, dump being affected by light, or put some limitations on them if they are caught in direct sunlight (Or the UV as already suggested.)
This is probably the solution I would go with as well but I am an old school kind of guy when it comes to vampires anyway.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geneering, nocturnal, space alien creation, vampire