Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Inveet

Default Presenting a hit location to an enemy?

Basic set about striking a random hit location:
Quote:
you can always just strike at “whatever target presents itself.”
Are there any rules, or any reasonable ways to houserule presenting a hit location to someone? The benefit of course being that some hit locations might be better armored than others, and as such could absorb the hit without too much of a problem, forcing his opponent to take penalties for targetting smaller hit locations like the neck, or feet.
Inveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Presenting a hit location to an enemy?

There are some in GURPS: MArtial Arts - Gladiators.
You can present a side targeted attacks at that side is 2 easier (ie, not penalty for arms and legs, only -2 for hands and feet). And the n2 harder for the far side.

It doens't include rules for random location, but if using this rule, I would say that instead of keeping "right arm" and "left arm" as two sepperete locations on the Random hit locations-table you simply note an "arm hit", and then roll 1d6. Only on a 6 do you hit the far side.

The Neck doesn't really become more difficult to hit as it stays pretty much in place.

----

Someone once suggested, that for shield users, instead of using the shield to block (or to get the DB bonus), you could use it as cover to cover specific body parts. I don't remember the details though.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Someone once suggested, that for shield users, instead of using the shield to block (or to get the DB bonus), you could use it as cover to cover specific body parts. I don't remember the details though.
I think these rules from T-Bone are what you're most likely talking about.

If you wanted to use shields as cover, I'd suggest just using the regular cover rules and giving shields the 'thin slab' DR levels. But then you have to guess where the shield is. There could be a better way to figure out which areas are covered, if someone wants to come up with some house rules for that. I think you'd need to come up with something for each particular shield, and of course it would vary by person (since a 7' tall person will get different protection from the same shield than a 5'2" person).

As for presenting a certain location, I think there could be better rules for that as well. I would want to incorporate weapon reach. Maybe say that the side that's not presented counts as being +1 hex farther away, so it can't still be punctured by shortswords without moving in closer.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Kromm posted a table that said "what target happens to be exposed at this particular time" once. It was a neat little addition.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

That would be this table in this thread.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote