Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Anders

Default [C1920] Big Bad

So, making a vampire for the Chill-1920 campaign. And labeling the thread so that my players know to stay out of this thread. And making the title oblique so that they don't learn what to expect...

I'm placing him in West Virginia, in the Appalachians, where there supposedly are isolated valleys, clannish people and white-capped mountains. This is the first part of the his background - since his powers and weaknesses stem from his history I thought it wise to start there.

Quote:
Background
The Man (1721-1779)
Luke Terrence Jackson was born the seventh son of William Terrence Jackson and Matilda Amanda Jackson in modern West Virginia on 7th August 1721. It soon became apparent that the young boy had a good head on his shoulders and in 1752 he traveled to Harvard to study law. Although he was indeed intelligent he was an indifferent student at best and when the French-Indian war broke out he left Harvard to defend his home state.
He served under Braddock in the disastrous expedition against fort Duquesne in 1755 and was commended for bravery during the retreat. In the following years he was promoted to Captain and was present at the capture of Fort Ticonderoga.
After the war was over, Luke returned to Harvard and got his law degree. He was a devoted republican and spent a lot of time arguing against the tyranny of Parliament and, later, the King. Returning to Virginia as a lawyer, his business thrived and he soon became quite wealthy. He married Audrey Martha Richardson and settled down in Richmond.
When the Revolutionary War broke out, he was quick to enlist and was made a Major. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1777. Late in 1778 he led operations against the Indians on other other side of the Ohio river when the weather suddenly became catastrophic. Supplies ran out, and the unit was forced to resort to cannibalism to survive. Of more than 300 men, only thirteen made it back.
When news of this reached the Continental Army headquarters it shook them to the core. Although they could tolerate many things, cannibalism wasn't one of them. Luke Terrence Jackson was condemned to death by the sword while his 12 accomplices were hanged.
But three days later something crawled out of the grave where the Lieutenant Colonel had been buried. And he was thirsty for warm, red blood...
I'm thinking of letting him retreat from enemy forces (which would largely be Native Americans in the Western Theatre, right?) into the valley where he now lives. Maybe even have him build his house on that fateful spot where he first tasted human flesh... Him being killed by the sword rather than being hanged is a plot point - hanging represent a forfeit of all military honor, and it is one of the ways to kill him permanently.

Any major anachronisms or improbabilities?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [C1920] Big Bad

The only problem with being executed for cannibalism is that it has long been considered "acceptable" as a means to survive the worst of situations. As long as the dogs and horses were eaten first, of course.

A little something to suggest cannibalism after the weather cleared up, no matter how minor, would be enough for a trial/court martial to go from "you did what you had to survive" to "monster!"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
adm

Overall it looks like a good outline.

A couple of flavor points, 1)western Virginia did not become the state of West Virginia until the U.S. Civil War. 2) The Republican party started in the 1840s. 3) Revolutionary War period, there was a very real civil war with various communities sharply divided and some being Loyalist, and some being Rebellious. The fighting in western Virginia could be between these two groups.

This is the biggest difference between the 1776 war and the 1860 war, the 1860 war was much more of a war between the states, instead of a war between neighbors. However; for the 1860 war West Virginia/Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri border areas was much more of a war between neighbors, you have a nice set up for a variety of vendettas between the various local factions.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The only problem with being executed for cannibalism is that it has long been considered "acceptable" as a means to survive the worst of situations. As long as the dogs and horses were eaten first, of course.

A little something to suggest cannibalism after the weather cleared up, no matter how minor, would be enough for a trial/court martial to go from "you did what you had to survive" to "monster!"
Or a suggestion that they started early. Hmm... a lot of this will be information available to PCs with the proper skills so I have to figure out how to put it. Thanks.

Maybe he refused to sacrifice his horse? That could mean something like horsemeat being repulsive to him still.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Or a suggestion that they started early. Hmm... a lot of this will be information available to PCs with the proper skills so I have to figure out how to put it. Thanks.

Maybe he refused to sacrifice his horse? That could mean something like horsemeat being repulsive to him still.
If he rode home on his horse, then yes, this would make sense. Now, unless this guy has IQ Brick, he's NOT going to be going by his real name over a century later, so the PCs will have to do a little extra work.

Maybe being the one guy who owns multiple horses can be the one thing that makes him stand out.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post

A couple of flavor points, 1)western Virginia did not become the state of West Virginia until the U.S. Civil War.
True. But there was a movement among settlers of the area to establish a new colony there, named Vandalia. People of the region thought of themselves as a different polity than Virginia or Pennsylvania.

Quote:
2) The Republican party started in the 1840s.
He could be a Whig.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
If he rode home on his horse, then yes, this would make sense. Now, unless this guy has IQ Brick, he's NOT going to be going by his real name over a century later, so the PCs will have to do a little extra work.

Maybe being the one guy who owns multiple horses can be the one thing that makes him stand out.
Maybe he makes a point of using the names of his victims?
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
which would largely be Native Americans in the Western Theatre, right?
Largely, yes. There were some British troops and loyalists.

Quote:
2) The Republican party started in the 1840s.
The post says he was a small-r republican.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
Maybe he makes a point of using the names of his victims?
That would be an unusual quirk.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:

A couple of flavor points, 1)western Virginia did not become the state of West Virginia until the U.S. Civil War. 2) The Republican party started in the 1840s. 3) Revolutionary War period, there was a very real civil war with various communities sharply divided and some being Loyalist, and some being Rebellious. The fighting in western Virginia could be between these two groups.
1) I know about Wester Virginia, but he'll be in modern-day West Virginia.
2) I didn't know what term to use. I meant he was firmly opposed to Parliament and King. AFAIK, the demand for Independence was a relatively late development. He'd be one of the first to jump on that bandwagon.
3) I didn't know that but I'll take that under consideration.

Quote:
He has had several names over the years, fighting in all U.S. wars except the First World War (he doesn't think the U.S. should fight outside the Americas). Although he has had several names, he always sticks with one of the four Evangelists. As for riding home on his horse - he is quite arrogant and I can see him thinking "I've done nothing wrong, so why shouldn't I?"

Tags
big bad, horror, vampire