Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
hal

Default Fatigue Loss and spell casting

Just for veracity sake...

Lets say that you have the following events that occur during gaming.

A) Caster concentrates on starting up a spell that takes 2 or more seconds to cast. On the second turn of casting, the spell caster aborts the spell.

Does the spell caster lose one fatigue?

B) Caster has cast a spell with a duration of 60 seconds. The caster aborts the duration of the spell after only 10 seconds.

C) Spell caster is in the middle of concentrating on his spell when he is interrupted by outside events. Failing a Spell Concentration check at Will-3, the spell caster fails to cast the spell despite his full intentions of doing so.

The rules as written under Cancelling spells (page 10 of GURPS MAGIC for 4e) indicates that you can specify the duration of a spell as less than its normal duration if so desired for no extra energy cost. Cancelling a spell however after casting it for its intended duration does cost 1 fatigue.

So, what, if any, penalties acrue with that of having a spell spoiled in mid-casting? In my campaign world, spoiled attacks cost the same energy as spells that fail unintentionally. Since I need to know what the official standing is on this for other reasons, I figured I'd verify it here first :)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Harald387

Default Re: Fatigue Loss and spell casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
Just for veracity sake...

Lets say that you have the following events that occur during gaming.

A) Caster concentrates on starting up a spell that takes 2 or more seconds to cast. On the second turn of casting, the spell caster aborts the spell.

No. See Magic, page 8; "You may abort an unfinished spell before it is cast, at no penalty, but you must start all over if you wish to try again."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
B) Caster has cast a spell with a duration of 60 seconds. The caster aborts the duration of the spell after only 10 seconds.

Yes, as per Canceling Spells on Magic p.10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
C) Spell caster is in the middle of concentrating on his spell when he is interrupted by outside events. Failing a Spell Concentration check at Will-3, the spell caster fails to cast the spell despite his full intentions of doing so.

No; this is the same as deciding to stop casting before the spell is finished.

Think of it this way instead: A caster may pay one fatigue at any time to end the effects of any spell he is maintaining (that is, any spell that counts as a spell 'on', whether he intends to pay the maintenance cost or no).
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: Fatigue Loss and spell casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387
No. See Magic, page 8; "You may abort an unfinished spell before it is cast, at no penalty, but you must start all over if you wish to try again."
I suspect you're correct on this - as it verifies my own reading of the rules ;) Just wanted to verify it before I made a public commentary on tactics of fighting mages with non-mage fighters :)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote