Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #1
(E)

Default What to package with Magery?

A recent post regarding packaging Social Regard with magery got me thinking about what flavour can be added to a game when you make more complicated packages for mages.
Personally I have used Innate attack (weak but improvable, flavoured to match the culture) and a very small handful of common skills.

Have other people played with more complex magical packages? If so what have you used?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:06 AM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: What to package with Magery?

The Innate Attack advantage sounds to me like you're using Magic As Powers? Nothing wrong with that, but it'd be useful to know.

Personally, I like to give mages some Accessory perks, so they can, frex, create light and small flames without spending skill points / FP and/or rolling dice for tiny effects that should be standard fare for every mage. One to three levels of Telekinesis might also be appropriate.

Rank, if there is a Maging Guild.

ETA: Could you link to that other thread, please? I seem to have missed it. Thanks!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Charisma for D&D-style sorcerers.

Extended Lifespan in a setting where the role of wizards are meant to be ancient (and wise).

Serendipity and/or esoteric builds of Obscure in a setting where magic is meant to favour subtle nudges anyway, such as an MtA-like setting.

Escalating levels of Regeneration (FP Only) if more powerful mages are meant to recover much faster from expending their power.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

As magic is at it's basis altering reality, I always added varying levels of Luck and Serendipity. And of course a Power Reserve.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Actually, I find innate attacks are a good match for any magic system, including standard. But I especially like them in conjunction with RPM. If the base magic system is slow, but you have innate attacks, you get Harry-Dresden like wizards, which can be nice. I would not require it for wizards though.

Generally, I require Status and Wealth. The exact level depends on the setting and the power of the wizard, but as a rule of thumb battle wizards should at least have the social standing of knights: skilled warriors with special equipment. A wizard either has useless magic, or they have an in demand ability that puts them above peasants in terms of earning potential, often far above. I generally start with status 1 and Wealthy (x5) (which is enough to give the status for free).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
The Innate Attack advantage sounds to me like you're using Magic As Powers? Nothing wrong with that, but it'd be useful to know.

Personally, I like to give mages some Accessory perks, so they can, frex, create light and small flames without spending skill points / FP and/or rolling dice for tiny effects that should be standard fare for every mage. One to three levels of Telekinesis might also be appropriate.

Rank, if there is a Maging Guild.

ETA: Could you link to that other thread, please? I seem to have missed it. Thanks!
I'm using the Innate attack as part of a package with skill based magic. In this case it a very low powered (and cheap) attack that represents throwing raw magic. Players can of course buy it up to make it more effective.

Link to the post I was referring to is here
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Prince Charon

Depending on the style of magic, Affliction may be more appropriate than Innate Attack. Also, some concepts for Magery that I've been thinking about package it with Weirdness Magnet.

Depending on the culture, Social Stigma or Secret may be more appropriate than Social Regard.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

A lot of folks seem to recommend Innate Attack. If an Innate attack is part of the package, wouldn't there also be a form of inborn defense? A defense bonus or just straight DR vs Magic?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 AM   #9
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
A lot of folks seem to recommend Innate Attack. If an Innate attack is part of the package, wouldn't there also be a form of inborn defense? A defense bonus or just straight DR vs Magic?
Magic Resistance with 'Improved, +150%,' maybe (allows you to have MR that doesn't block your own Magery)? Then again, one concept of magic I think I've seen has the more powerful mages also being more sensitive to magic, so for every level of Magery, they might have a level of Magic Susceptibility.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
RyanW

One idea I've been chewing on lately was to replace Magery Zero with Intuitive Mathematician, and spells cannot exceed Mathematics (Pure).

Tags
magic, packages