Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #41
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Link an historical character to the cited advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
No, sorry, that's just a handwavy excuse to do something that I think is excessive and wouldn't allow in one of my campaigns. I don't believe there are any realistic cases, not in the entirety of history.
It is possible by TL11 according to Biotech. In any case, there must be people at the appearance (very beautiful/handsome) level.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #42
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
It is possible by TL11 according to Biotech. In any case, there must be people at the appearance (very beautiful/handsome) level.

The very top levels tend to be culturally and even personally subjective.

I'd pick Marylin Monroe, just because she stands out above the rest in an era we can see well but not get swallowed up in the details of.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #43
whswhs

Quote:
The former point of course doesn't establish that people at that level have ever existed historically.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #44
jason taylor

Quote:
However I want to know who do you consider to be the most beautiful/handsome people in the world.
Some possible picks.

Jane Seymour (the actress)

Grace Kelly

Vera Lynn
Old 07-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #45
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Some possible picks.
By reputation, some choices are Semiramis, Helen, Cleopatra, Diane de Poitiers, and Ninon de l'Enclos (the five choices of Noctambule). Nefertiti also has a very high reputation. Of course these are all women; fewer stories are told of beautiful men. And this entirely omits women (and men) of East and South Asia and regions of the Earth without written records.

It's really hard to judge, though, because even those who were painted may have been enhanced by the painter's art.

Addenda: Doing some looking around I find that the Daily Mail has an image claimed to be a reconstruction of Nefertiti from her mummy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...Nefertiti.html .

Last edited by whswhs; 07-17-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #46
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Strength - Sultan Murad IV of the Ottoman Empire.
There are known genetic mutations which can give those possessing them much higher strength than a normal person, albeit usually with other medical problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
He had to dramatically slow his movements so they would be captured by the video cameras of his day.
In GURPS terms this isn't so much increased overall DX (which also covers things like balance, hand-eye coordination, and manual dexterity) so much as levels of Extra Attack (Punching) or very high Basic Speed (assuming that Sifu Lee was as fast on his feet as he was when throwing punches).

At the time, standard film speed was 1/24 second per frame, and there are other martial artists who are/were similarly fast in developing hand speed. Again, not to diss Bruce Lee, but as an indicator that his remarkable skills could/can be replicated, at least by some.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #47
Pursuivant

Quote:
There are plenty of Very Handsome/Beautiful people in the world. Anyone good-looking enough to be a supermodel or movie star is likely to be at that level of Appearance. They might not be to your particular taste in terms of appearance/personality/whatever, but on average they're going to pretty much be at the apex of human good looks.

I'd call it an order of magnitude phenomena. Attractive appearance, at least for a young adult, might be about 1 in 10. Handsome/Beautiful might be about 1 in 100. Very Handsome/Beautiful might be 1 in 1,000. The same ratio might hold for unattractive or worse Appearance, although anything more than Ugly should probably be reserved for people who suffer from serious injuries or medical problems.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #48
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
There are plenty of Very Handsome/Beautiful people in the world. Anyone good-looking enough to be a supermodel or movie star is likely to be at that level of Appearance. They might not be to your particular taste in terms of appearance/personality/whatever, but on average they're going to pretty much be at the apex of human good looks.

I'd call it an order of magnitude phenomena. Attractive appearance, at least for a young adult, might be about 1 in 10. Handsome/Beautiful might be about 1 in 100. Very Handsome/Beautiful might be 1 in 1,000. The same ratio might hold for unattractive or worse Appearance, although anything more than Ugly should probably be reserved for people who suffer from serious injuries or medical problems.
Exactly thank you! This is another reason for which Appearance (Transcendent) is legit, since we probably do not know any other supermodel from the human history, even when they were "at the apex of good looks", but we do know some women from history such as Helen, Cleopatra and Nefertiti.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
Exactly thank you! This is another reason for which Appearance (Transcendent) is legit, since we probably do not know any other supermodel from the human history, even when they were "at the apex of good looks", but we do know some women from history such as Helen, Cleopatra and Nefertiti.
The effect on the reactions of those who are sexually attracted to your category of people seems far too strong. With a +8, half the potentially interested people will fall lastingly in love with you. Even the one out of four for Very Beautiful seems excessive.

As for Nefertiti et al., consider that the population of the world was far smaller then, probably less than the current population of the United States. For any given level of pulchritudinousness. about 35-40 times as many women now have it as then. So a given level of beauty was probably rarer, even ignoring the benefits of modern medical care and diet.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #50
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'd pick Marylin Monroe, just because she stands out above the rest in an era we can see well but not get swallowed up in the details of.
Marilyn Monroe was a bit of an outlier because not only was she physically beautiful, she had a sensuality that she could apparently turn on or off at will. When she "wasn't being Marilyn," she could be as "incognito" on a busy city street as any other beautiful and famous woman could, but when she turned on the sexiness, she could draw crowds of men even without trying to do so.

There were plenty of other actresses of her era (e.g., Elizabeth Taylor, Sophia Lauren) who were just as sexy, but they didn't have the same "charisma."

In GURPS terms, I'd call that Very Beautiful plus levels of the Allure Talent.