Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Algarik

Default Banestorm - Talent Bonus reaction for Magery (Need opinions)

Banestorm Mages quite are rare. Talented one even rarer and they get recognized quickly.

Would you feel like it would be too much to add a reaction bonus to those who would recognize the magical potential within a mage character, just like talents awards bonus reaction in relevant situation.

I'm thinking ''+1 when recognized as a talented mage in a situation where magic could matter significantly.''

That would make talented mage reassuring to have for their side to have or respected as worthy and fearsome opponent from the other side.
Algarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Banestorm - Talent Bonus reaction for Magery (Need opinions)

I would allow a mage in such a setting to buy such reaction bonus, but I would not add any further bonuses to magery as it is overpowered already as a talent that gives a bonus to hundreds of skills and extra bonuses.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarik View Post
I'm thinking ''+1 when recognized as a talented mage in a situation where magic could matter significantly.''
Magic could always matter significantly. This is virtually universal.

The real issue is whether the mage's spells are remotely appropriate to the situation.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If I'm working with "socially realistic mages", I just require them to buy status and wealth. Magery is good enough as it is, and mages would naturally get a LOT of respect, at least from those who don't command dozens of others. So I wouldn't give a bonus to reactions at all, unless maybe from other mages.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
Algarik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Magic could always matter significantly. This is virtually universal.

The real issue is whether the mage's spells are remotely appropriate to the situation.
I guess i was rather vague with my first ''draft''. But i also don't think people are gonna notice how talented his a mage just by the color of his hat, to get recognized as a talented mage you'd actually had to ''prove'' it. But i think you're still right maybe i could add a reaction bonus towards other mages, as they are the most likely to recognized other talented mages, and they understand what's it's like to get there.

Mages in my game already get access to status and wealth with less explanation needed than other characters.

Beside i get that mages are generally stronger than other character, but to be honest, gurps is among least balanced game their is, so i don't think it is such an issue.

Anyway thanks for your opinions guys :)
Algarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Solexe

There are 2% people with magery on Yrth.
I assume, about 80% of people live in villages, 20% in cities
Probably about half of the mages move to work in cities.
So of 100 mages (of 5000 total population), 20 already live in town and 40 move into town.
You get around 60 mages in town, where 5000*0.2=1000 people live.
It's already 6%.
Every 16th person you meet in the street is a mage!
Solexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I agree with the take that Magery is "good enough." To reflect the impact of being one of the rare, the few, the privileged in a setting – any setting – and not do too much violence to the social hierarchy, consider this option:

Everybody with Magery must buy Social Regard. They have to buy at least one level. They may opt to buy up to levels equal to their Magery level. They can pick Feared if they're a fiendish necromancer, deadly battle-mage, etc.; Respected if they heal, bless crops, serve the monarch, or whatever; or Venerated if they're, say, the classic wizened sage or village witch.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote