Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Kadezter

Default 2 Questions; one what are item enhancers? two, the loaded die...

So I have two questions, after looking quiet a bit around on different sites and the official FAQ I cannot find these answers.

One: Are item enhancers consider items, or do they work like monster enhancers? Can they be played in the middle of combat, and to your helper's item as well, to win you the combat? Monster enhancers are covered and items are covered, stating exactly what time they can be played, but item enhancers are never clarified (again I've only read anything about one-shot items which of course state on the card when they can be played) but I'm taking about cards like the ones that make an item you already have cameo or survival versions. When can those be played?

Second: About Loaded die, I read the new version of the card on the main page and it now reads 'your roll', etc. Someone used the loaded die card after one of my rolls to make me auto roll a one, does that work? when it specifical says your own roll on the card?

thanks
Kadezter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: 2 Questions; one what are item enhancers? two, the loaded die...

Loaded Die has only ever worked on "your" roll, which means that only the player who rolled the die may play Loaded Die. Reloaded Die, however, may be played on someone else's roll. The only change ever made to Loaded Die was to make it extremely clear that the die result can never be other than what the die has on it: 1-6 for the six-sider provided with the game. The roll result can be more or less because of bonuses or penalties to the roll, but the die portion of the roll result can never be different than what the die has available.

As for Item Enhancers. . . They specifically say that they improve the bonus of an Item, are rather clear that they are not one-shot Items (no gold piece value, no "usable once only," and they state that the card goes with the Item when lost), and the rules say, "Once you expose a monster card, you must resolve the fight with your equipment as it stands, plus any one-shot items you choose to play." I've emphasized the part in the rules which is making me say you can not play Item Enhancers while in combat.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Clipper

And no, you can't play an Item Enhancer onto another player's Item even if you aren't in combat.

Although I guess they could agree to trade it to you, you enhance the Item and then you trade it back... Again, all three parts of that need to be done outside of combat (due to the reasons MM emphasised).
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Kadezter

Okay, so item enhancers do work like they are items and follow the same guidelines. I just couldn't find anywhere in the rules that exact line. In fact i found a section on item enhancers in one rule book that still didn't state the times it could be played. And thus because we couldn't find anything barring the use of item enhancers in the middle of combat, they all kept saying they could do it, then on top of it he used it on his helper's item not his... But i guess i wasn't looking in the right section.

Side note to CLipper: i do know that once an item is enhanced the enhancer can't be removed and traded back, it must be sold or discarded with the item its attached to.

Thanks about loaded die as well, yes he was using loaded die. I didn't realize at the time about what it specifically said, so you could say he got us all by the 'cheat' rule of the rule book to which if no one reads the card and the user gets away with its misuse then it stands. I was reading random FAQ's when i ran across an answer stating its reworded version and was like... o.O i died because someone used loaded die on me. :[

Thanks again everyone.
Kadezter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadezter View Post
Side note to CLipper: i do know that once an item is enhanced the enhancer can't be removed and traded back, it must be sold or discarded with the item its attached to.
That's not what I was talking about. I mean trading Items between players, not selling them for levels. If you wanted to play an Item Enhancer on a different player's Item (assuming you are making a deal for something else yourself), you can do it via three actions. Let's say somebody had some Headgear and you had . . . Of Doom and you made a deal to enhance it for him, you can do the following:
  1. He gives you the Headgear.
  2. You enhance it into the Headgear Of Doom.
  3. You give the Headgear Of Doom (both cards) back to him.

Edit: I'll note that you aren't actually trading the Item Enhancer to him, as it's not an Item, but when you give him the Item back, the Item Enhancer goes with it.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-21-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote