Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Armin
GCA Prime

Default DFRPG and Grappling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
So, is it possible to actually edit the DX score and attach an attack? I can put it on Wrestling and the like just fine, more or less how Doug described, but don't know how to do this with characters who lack a grappling skill but who still want to make a grappling attack.

(Mods, feel free to move this diversion to the GCA forum.)
Yes, you could edit DX and add a mode to support 'grappling,' but I'd suggest adding a new attribute instead, much as Kick and Punch have attributes to support their attacks. (Admittedly that requires using a data file, but it's available to all characters that way.)

I suggest that primarily because editing DX to get an attack mode means that the attack may well show up on sheets (and QuickView) named 'DX' instead of as the 'grappling' mode that you add, and that's not really desirable.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
cbower

Default Re: DFRPG and Grappling

This is what I came up with using the values from Hall of Judgement, as I plan on trying these rules myself. It displays on the Phoenix sheet correctly as far as I can tell. I'm not a programmer so if I've made any errors anyone should feel free to correct me.

Code:
[ATTRIBUTES]
Control Maximum, display(no),
	basevalue( _
		"ST:Lifting ST" + _
		@max( _
			@if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+1 then 2 else @if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" = ST:DX then 1 else 0)),
			@if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+1 then 2 else @if("SK:Wrestling::level" = ST:DX then 1 else 0)),
			@if("AD:Wrestling Master" = 1 then @if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX then "SK:Wrestling::level" - "ST:DX" else 0)),
		) _
	)

Grapple, display(no), mode(Grapple), mods(Combat Table),
	damage( _
		@thr("ST:Control Maximum") + _
		@max( _
			@if("SK:Judo::level" > ST:DX+9 then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else @if("SK:Judo::level" > ST:DX+3 then @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else 0)),
			@if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+6 then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else @if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+1 then @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else 0)),
			@if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+3 then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else @if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX then @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else 0)) _
		) _
	), damtype(ctrl), reach(C), parry(0), skillused(ST:DX, SK:Judo, SK:Sumo Wrestling, SK:Wrestling), damagebasedon("ST:Grapple"), basevalue("ST:Control Maximum")

[ADVANTAGES]
Wrestling Master, 10, page(P3-111:13), cat(Paranormal, Mental), description(Pyramid 3, #111, Page 13)
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
This is what I came up with using the values from Hall of Judgement, as I plan on trying these rules myself. It displays on the Phoenix sheet correctly as far as I can tell. I'm not a programmer so if I've made any errors anyone should feel free to correct me.

Code:
[ATTRIBUTES]
	basevalue( _
		@max( _
			@if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+1 then 2 else @if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" = ST:DX then 1 else 0)),
			@if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+1 then 2 else @if("SK:Wrestling::level" = ST:DX then 1 else 0)),
			@if("AD:Wrestling Master" = 1 then @if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX then "SK:Wrestling::level" - "ST:DX" else 0)),
		) _
	)

damage( _
		@max( _
			@if("SK:Judo::level" > ST:DX+9 then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else @if("SK:Judo::level" > ST:DX+3 then @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else 0)),
			@if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+6 then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else @if("SK:Sumo Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+1 then @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else 0)),
			@if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX+3 then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else @if("SK:Wrestling::level" > ST:DX then @basethdice(ST:Grapple) else 0)) _
		) _
	), damtype(ctrl), reach(C), parry(0), skillused(ST:DX, SK:Judo, SK:Sumo Wrestling, SK:Wrestling), damagebasedon("ST:Grapple"), basevalue("ST:Control Maximum")

[ADVANTAGES]
Wrestling Master, 10, page(P3-111:13), cat(Paranormal, Mental), description(Pyramid 3, #111, Page 13)
Wow. GCA integration for HoJ.

Now there's no excuse. Everyone buy it. From Warehouse 23 so SJG says "hey, we need more of these!"
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:

Code:
[ATTRIBUTES]
	basevalue( _
		@max( _
		) _
	)

damage( _
		@max( _
		) _

[ADVANTAGES]
I don't know the specifics of the rules, but your code looks good, so if it appears to work right, it is almost certainly working right.

Very nice. Thank you.

My one question is: What's in the Combat Table mods?

Thanks very much for posting.

Armin

Oh, yeah, my one question, but a different one, so really two questions, but this is one: Is this shared as a file anywhere for others to download?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
cbower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
My one question is: What's in the Combat Table mods?
Good question, I copied the skeleton of this from the Punch attribute so that may be an empty reference I changed because something wasn't working.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, my one question, but a different one, so really two questions, but this is one: Is this shared as a file anywhere for others to download?
Not really, I use a heavily modified basic/worldbook file for my personal games and I just sort of threw this in at the bottom.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Good question, I copied the skeleton of this from the Punch attribute so that may be an empty reference I changed because something wasn't working.

Not really, I use a heavily modified basic/worldbook file for my personal games and I just sort of threw this in at the bottom.
Okay, thanks.

Would you be okay with me sticking this into a simple file and making it available for download? I'll happily credit you in the file however you'd like.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
cbower

Quote:
Okay, thanks.

Would you be okay with me sticking this into a simple file and making it available for download? I'll happily credit you in the file however you'd like.
Be my guest. Chris Bower will work.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Be my guest. Chris Bower will work.
Thank you.

(And it looks like Combat Table is a set of modifiers Eric put together for adjusting how/what appears in the attack listings.)

ETA: Okay, the file is currently available on my OneDrive. I'm actually a bit ignorant of Technical Grappling, and not having read Hall of Justice yet, if anyone with knowledge would please check the file content, and let me know how better to label/comment this, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Armin; 09-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
Rasputin

Quote:
This is what I came up with using the values from Hall of Judgement, as I plan on trying these rules myself. It displays on the Phoenix sheet correctly as far as I can tell.
Where does Control Maximum appear?

The Grappling line does appear in the attacks, so it's loading.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
cbower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Where does Control Maximum appear?

The Grappling line does appear in the attacks, so it's loading.
If you're using the Phoenix sheet you can add it to the secondary attributes manually. I'm not sure how else to get it to display.