Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Unkillable 3 vs. a Black Hole?

What the title says... what do you all think?

EDIT: Ok, so maybe a bit more than just the title is in order. Basically, the advantage says you become a disembodied spirit... so would a spirit be able to escape from a black hole? I realize there is no way to know the truth, but that's kinda why I'm asking what you all THINK...

I'm designing an alien species that is very, very rare and isn't able to self-replicate. The creation of more of them is banned because they have Unkillable 2, but I was kind of thinking... what if they had Unkillable 3? Would they then be truly unstoppable? Is Unkillable 3 just THAT good? There is absolutely positively no way to kill or contain unkillable 3?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 06-01-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Unkillable 3 vs. a Black Hole?

Uh...what? You are torn apart by tidal stresses, come back to life elsewhere. That's all there is to it.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Ragabash Moon

So you don't think that the "there is no escape from a black hole" would apply to a disembodied spirit?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Either you are caught in a cycle of revival and death within the black hole until it eventually destabilizes and explodes, or you die once and revive somewhere else.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Nope... Would end an Unkillable 2 character quite nicely though!
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
So you don't think that the "there is no escape from a black hole" would apply to a disembodied spirit?
Escaping a black hole simply means one must exceed the speed of light. Since a spirit has zero mass, nothing in physics prevents it from doing exactly that.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Uh...what? You are torn apart by tidal stresses, come back to life elsewhere. That's all there is to it.
Pretty much unless the GM wishes to make a Black Hole or similar levels of destruction (heart of star perhaps) to require the cosmic enhancement on Unkillable 3.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Are "disembodied spirits" subject to gravity?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Before hitting the event horizon anything solid will be ionized And the UK3 kicks in. The possessor is then a ghost, energy pattern or some other sort of incorporeal spirit.

There might conceivably be some sort of combination of Power Source and "energy pattern" that was still vulnerable to ultra-strong gravity but generally I would say no, gravity doesn't bother you any more.

A GM have the character keep physically coalescing within range of the black hole's gravity but that's an .....aggressive use of his discretion and might lead to hard feelings. The GM certainly isn't under any obligation to make that happen. the character can materialize back in his own bedroom just as well.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Not

By my reading of the rules, no. You can bind a spirit with magic but not gravity. You're giving me an idea for an anti-ward that works like a spirit roach motel, though.
Not is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, unkillable