Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 09-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Tenex

Default Banned users last posts

So in an attempt to stay between the lines, I have looked back at some banned users last few posts. Are the mods deleting the offending posts? I ask because there is nothing in Jim Kane's or TankSoldier's posts that made me think they warranted discipline.

Not that my opinion matters, discipline is a matter for the mods and I don't rate to give input. It's not like the mods have to answer to me for their decisions. But for those of us who are trying to be civil, looking at some banned users last posts is unenlightening.

To be blunt, looking at some banned users last posts I think I am at any minute in danger of being permanently banned. I just don't see the obnoxious factor.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
rosignol

Default Re: Banned users last posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
So in an attempt to stay between the lines, I have looked back at some banned users last few posts. Are the mods deleting the offending posts? I ask because there is nothing in Jim Kane's or TankSoldier's posts that made me think they warranted discipline.
Disclaimer: I am not a mod, do not represent SJGames in any capacity, etc, etc. With that said, I have been around long enough* to have noticed a few things, one of which is that the Mods dislike discussing moderation policy, so I am making this post so that you don't think you're being ignored.

First, posts that violate board policy is almost always removed, this means you are very unlikely to gain any insight into why a ban happened by looking over recent posts by the banned person.

Second, while the mods are all-knowing and all-seeing, they are also capable of mercy... unless they think you're being deliberately obtuse. If someone PMs you with a suggestion that you dial it back a bit, possibly with an Infraction (for added emphasis, I think), it is a good idea to dial it back a bit.

tl;dr: Read the board policies, stay inside the lines, pay attention to your PMs and you will almost certainly be fine.

*12 years? How time flies...
Old 09-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

He and I were temp-banned for PMs not public posts.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 AM   #4
Tenex

Ok, thanks.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
First, posts that violate board policy is almost always removed,
This is not true. We sometimes remove posts that either go off-topic or are nothing BUT inflammatory, but we don't have a standing policy of deleting posts in those cases; it's moderator discretion. In some cases, where several posts have started a derailing discussion on a thread whose purpose needs to stay focused (for instance, the "Errata" thread in the TFT forum), we will delete those to remove the derail.

It is also worth noting that looking at someone's last post to determine what is ban-worthy is not a particularly useful exercise. It may not have been their strictly last post that caused the ban, and in some cases it may have been the totality of their participation rather than one specific message. If, in our judgment, a user is persistently straddling of what we consider acceptable forum behavior, whether through design or ignorance, we reserve the right to decide that we can do without that user's input even if no single post is so egregious as to constitute a bannable offense.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
Tenex

That's enlightening, thank you.