Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
ThisisDog

Default Fantasy hypothetical dream Munchkin sets thread

I know SJGames doesn't discuss future plans, but I thought it would be cool to have a thread to discuss your ideas of what you'd love from a Munchkin set. This is not a requests thread, just a place for ideas and hopefully fun discussions.

Me, personally, ever since the Dragons sets came out I've wanted to see Dinosaurs, either a 15 or 30 card Booster or a themed core set, like 1,000,000 Munchkins B.C. or something. I love Dinosaurs.

Also, looking at the IPs that USAopoly has designed games around, I think games like Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age would make for awesome sets, all are packed with races, classes, weapons and monsters. Dragon Age would feature Fantasy races like Elf and Dwarf, but also Qunari and Darkspawn. New classes would be Grey Warden and Inquisitor. Elder Scrolls would be similar but with a Dremora race, and classes like Blade, Companion, Dark Brotherhood, Nightingale, Mythic Dawn etc.

Mass Effect would be completely different, with races like Asari, Turian, Krogan, Quarian and Drell, and classes like Spectre, Cerberus, Blue Suns and more, plus Biotics in a similar role to Powers.

I know other people have ideas they'd like to fantasize about, as I've seen threads pop up. This could be a good place to talk about them.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
Damon Griffin

Default Re: Fantasy hypothetical dream Munchkin sets thread

I'm not sure this is the case, but it's possible that for legal reasons SJGames might be less inclined to create future sets based on [fairly specific] unsolicited messageboard suggestions; that they'd strongly prefer to come up with them on their own.

If this is the case, you may be less likely to see a Munchkin Mass Effect game now that you've described it here.

I hope it's not the case, because I've described similar things on these boards. (Not similar in any way to Mass Effect, just in that I've described one or more Munchkin sets I'd like to see.)

Munchkin Dinosaurs is generic enough that it should be safe in any case, but describing -- perhaps even naming -- individual cards outside of the Card Suggestions web page is probably a good way to ensure those cards are never created.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Damon is correct when it comes to specific card ideas (although if you're merely suggesting an obvious name from a licensed property, we aren't going to worry about it too much). Card ideas are ALWAYS better on the Card Suggestions page. Do not use the Card Suggestions page for SET suggestions, however; we routinely delete those.

As for game ideas, it is extremely unlikely, but not impossible, that you might suggest an idea we haven't already thought of. Right now, we are happy to let USAopoly handle licensed Munchkin games other than the ones, such as Pathfinder, that we are already handling ourselves. So a new license idea is not something we're likely to take up, regardless of how good the idea may be. And our schedule is MORE than full with the non-licensed ideas that we've already generated; 2017 is filling up quickly, and today I asked our project manager to put something on the schedule for mid-2018.

To be blunt, it has been a long time since I saw a game or expansion idea here that was practical and was something we hadn't previously thought about. We brainstorm ideas all the time and our Wanna Do list is far longer than our Able To Do list can handle. We have a lot of fantastically creative people on our team, all thinking all the time about new things we can add to the Munchkin line.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from presenting ideas, but we won't be commenting on them here (for legal and practical reasons) and the chances that any of them will ever come to fruition are slim.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:17 AM   #4
ThisisDog

Which is why I suggested this be for fun, and completely hypothetical. I used the word 'ideas' possibly misleadingly, this isn't meant for pitching things to Andrew, Phil or anyone else who shows up here, just trying to get a bit of a conversation going. We already know that SJG are on a strict schedule, and that everything that will be released is already set in stone. If anything anyone does say does eventually come into fruition, it's definitely coincidental.

Hell, after buying Munchkin: Adventure Time the other day, I'll likely buy anything with a Munchkin name on it anyway, regardless of it's theme.

EDIT: Wow that sounded ungrateful. I meant that in no way as a slight on the game, more on Adventure Time as a show, which I still hate after watching most of the first season. The Munchkin set is actually a really nice set, the best of the USAopoly sets so far.

Last edited by ThisisDog; 03-02-2016 at 03:34 AM.
ThisisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
Damon Griffin

Okay. Well, here's one that's not currently especially popular, so would probably be an unlikely licensed property in any case: Babylon 5. (I would assume this is among those SJG has already thought of, though I can't hazard a guess as to what they thought of it.)

Races: Human, Minbari, Centauri, Narn
Alliances: Earth, Mars, Vorlon, Shadow
Classes: Ambassador, Telepath, Military, Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
As for game ideas, it is extremely unlikely, but not impossible, that you might suggest an idea we haven't already thought of.
Challenge accepted. Munchkin: On Burroughed Time combines the stories and worlds of Tarzan, John Carter, Carson Napier and the Land That Time Forgot.

Last edited by Damon Griffin; 03-02-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Griffin View Post
Babylon 5. (I would assume this is among those SJG has already thought of, though I can't hazard a guess as to what they thought of it.)
I am a ginormous B5 fanboy, so I would LOVE to make this set happen, but I think you're correct that the potential audience is too small to make it a worthwhile effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Griffin View Post
Challenge accepted. Munchkin: On Burroughed Time combines the stories and worlds of Tarzan, John Carter, Carson Napier and the Land That Time Forgot.
You're thinking too small. Munchkin Pulp covers all that and more. Unfortunately, that's close enough to Munchkin Steampunk that we're unlikely to do Pulp as well.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote