Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Fnugus

Default Items as allies?

I'm not totally sure how the mechanics of the Allies advantage handles this.

A friend of mine made a character which had a special sword, which he made as a character, much like this:

ST set to 5 [-50]
DX set to 0 [-200]
IQ set to 0 [-200]
FP set to 0 [-30]
Basic Speed [-50]

HP set to 50 [90]

Duplicate
Innate Attack (cut)
Unkillable 2
Unaging
Regeneration Extreme
DR 40

All this, for an ally that is bought at the 75% of character value, where character point total is 150.

What troubles me is that I can't seem to find any recommendations as to how items are created, and if done using the above mentioned method would result in super powerful weapons at very low point costs.

Any good advice on how to get my point across that it's an improper way of making equipment?

And how should I go about building items using character points?

Regards,
Fnugus
Fnugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Items as allies?

Thaumatology has a chapter on intelligent items.

Although if all the character wants is a sword with plot protection (which this seems to be), use signature gear instead.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Fnugus

Problem is, the item is not intelligent (hence the IQ 0), and in the description of the Allies advantage states that you can have nonsentient allies. But what is a nonsentient ally?

I prefer the use of Signature Gear, but if the rules can be bended in this way, it's far more profitable for characters to do it this way.

Fnugus
Old 08-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnugus View Post
Problem is, the item is not intelligent (hence the IQ 0), and in the description of the Allies advantage states that you can have nonsentient allies. But what is a nonsentient ally?
In theory you can write up the Millennium Falcon (for example) as an ally. In my current game, a certain race has mecha-like battle constructs, which for PCs I use Ally, as the creations are basically unique. Alternatively you can use abilities with gadget limitations (which is how Supers does it).
Quote:
I prefer the use of Signature Gear, but if the rules can be bended in this way, it's far more profitable for characters to do it this way.
A sword isn't going to be more a point as signature gear. Your sword as character write-up is missing some things: Compartmentalized Mind (Controls), the Innate Attack should have ST based, Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous, No Head, No Neck, No Eyes, No Blood), Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, Accessory Perk: Sword, and so on; that should raise the point value.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Fnugus

Quote:
A sword isn't going to be more a point as signature gear. Your sword as character write-up is missing some things: Compartmentalized Mind (Controls), the Innate Attack should have ST based, Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous, No Head, No Neck, No Eyes, No Blood), Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, Accessory Perk: Sword, and so on; that should raise the point value.
This doesn't seem to make up for the 500 points released from just reducing the basic and secondary attributes to 0 (ST, DX, etc).

As far as I've read in the chapter in Thaumatology, it suggests setting DX to somewhere between 10 and 14, IQ depending on the item (1-5 being willfull, 6+ actually having personality), and HT 11-13, but not really giving any reasons as to why you shouldn't just reduce them all to zero. I mean, just a sword, supposed to be wielded and used to be fought with, why should DX be anything else than 0, when it's not moving on it's own. Why should IQ be anything else than 0 if it's not supposed to be sentient?

Fnugus
Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
HT 11-13, but not really giving any reasons as to why you shouldn't just reduce them all to zero.
HT can't be 0, see the Injury to Objects rules in the Basic Set.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Fnugus

I didn't mean to include HT in that. It's the other attributes that worries me.

Last edited by Fnugus; 08-21-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I didn't mean to include HT in that. It's the other attributes that worries me.

Kromm on Vehicle DX
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnugus
As far as I've read in the chapter in Thaumatology, it suggests setting DX to somewhere between 10 and 14, IQ depending on the item (1-5 being willfull, 6+ actually having personality), and HT 11-13, but not really giving any reasons as to why you shouldn't just reduce them all to zero. I mean, just a sword, supposed to be wielded and used to be fought with, why should DX be anything else than 0, when it's not moving on it's own. Why should IQ be anything else than 0 if it's not supposed to be sentient?
Because if it is just a sword, then you probably should not be building it as a character. Check the section Items as Characters on p118, especially the third paragraph.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Sentience is defined on B 15. And yes, this build is arguably rules legal. Except to the extent all nonsentient allies explicitly contract the description of Ally which includes "He *will* disagree with you from time to time" (emphasis original).

Personally I consider non-sentient allies to be a mistake. I'm sure it was intended as an attempt at "Ship Patron" and the like - a way I give the PCs really expensive equipment without them being really rich, a recuring character design problem in GURPS - but it doesn't do that particularly well. Certainly if it can't do *anything* independently, I wouldn't approve it as an Ally. I suppose it needn't actually be sentient to be capable of independent actions, so I guess there is some middle ground there for programmable devices,

Tags
allies, gear