Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #41
SimonAce

Default Re: Character Prepping for an adventure - what do you take? What is your choice of Ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
If you do - could you use the name Charlton in the flavor text story that usually opens a chapter?

My little thread seems to have sparked some interesting discussion here.

- Ed Charlton
It would be my pleasure Cole. R. Charlton sound good? ;)
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #42
SimonAce

Default Re: Character Prepping for an adventure - what do you take? What is your choice of Ge

Quote:
You forgot something - I am the likely GM for the scenario. (Or someone a lot like me stylisticly speaking)

In my games its never a "no win scenario".

There's always a possible win - you just got to use your brains and apply some creativity to the situations and possible combats.

- Ed
Never had the privilege of gaming with you, good Klingon. If you ever get out LA way look me up.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #43
Jabani

Quote:
any mention of survival brings out the big lists of gear and military planning instead.
I was going to say that that's because talking about taking nothing would be boring, but actually, it's not - trying to minimize equipment is in some ways more fun (notably when you actually have to carry it). But people get in the mindset of covering every possible scenario, which to me is the exact opposite of how one should look at the situation: there are far too many unknowns and unplannables, especially in that scenario where you are always on the move, to try to cover. I think people forget that military personnel have huge support systems behind and around them to deal with all of the details, and that military surplus stockpilers have a fixed location. On-the-move survivalists, on the other hand, are more like hitchhikers with towels and a moldy satchel and little else.

So, with that being said, here's my list for Kromm's scenario:

Clothes I'm wearing
Extra clothes suitable to the environment

And that's it. I would go for a small backpack or carrying case of some kind, but if there's much parkour going on, I'd have to nix that, as I'd rather live than sleep comfortably.

Optional gear:

Multitool - more for coolness than anything. Possibly for B & E in the quest for shelter.
Small crowbar - a better B & E device and bludgeoning weapon to save the knuckles and shins from doing the dirty work.
Iodine tablets - because they make me feel safe, not because I'd want to end up in a situation where I needed them.
City map - this one I would legitimately want, but it's more of a plot piece than gear.
Jabani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #44
quarkstomper

I once was in a game run by a GM notorious for eccentric home-brew games. This particular game was going to involve characters displaced in time. He told us to each come up with a character concept and ten personal possession.

Because I'd heard about his meat-grinder dungeons before, I was as particular with my ten items as I could: (shoes, clothing, etc.) I didn't want to assume anything.

Then when the game started, he said: "Okay, chose two items off your list of possession; that's what you have with you."

Ack!

I guess that's what you get for trying to second-guess the GM.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #45
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6

So, with that background, here's my equipment list:

Fancy Digital Camera
Extra Batteries
Extra memory sticks
Cool Photographers Vest
Press Pass
Buck Knife
One of those travel belts that you use to hide your Passport (which she'll use as one of the places she'll hide memory sticks with The Truth).
Personal Basics
Wearing a set of clothes
Set of Lockpicks
You forgot lenses for the camera. Cameras that photojournalists use are usually (D)SLRs, and they require lenses, but you can change the lens on the camera according to your requirements.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #46
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
It would be my pleasure Cole. R. Charlton sound good? ;)
Sounds good.

Tho my Dad insists the male side of my family have a tradition of the name Wayne for middle names. My grandfather, Dad and I all have that for a middle name.

IF SJG publishes that one as a pdf. - then guess I'll finally have to learn how to purchase one over the internet.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #47
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
You forgot lenses for the camera. Cameras that photojournalists use are usually (D)SLRs, and they require lenses, but you can change the lens on the camera according to your requirements.
Ooh! Good catch! So add that to my list!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #48
reb

i was assuming a pre-planned operation.
for something that happens so quick you don't have time to prepare thats hard.
in a urban e&e scenerio,
clothes that are non descript and blend in.

if weather supports it,a jacket that has two colors inside and outside.
(so you can switch colors of outside clothing real quick)

a gym bag with several colored shirts and some different hats.
(to dissapear somewhere and change your clothing appearance)

a buck folding knife

a folding tactical knife

alternate i.d possably several

cash no cards unless a gift card
(to not leave a trail to follow,gift cards can be purchased with cash and be used almost anywhere)

procure a throwaway cell phone(several if possable)
never use a particular phone more than a couple of times so they can't track your # down,shut it off and destroy it)

ballistic vest

gerber multi-tool

smoke grenades h.c (high concentration)
(nice destractive device,throw in a bldg or high traffic area to create confusion)

several tear gas grenades
(same as above)

high capacity 9mm pistol
4 mags
silencer

hoodie

power bars

peanut butter packets (high protein)

a set of clothes to look like a street person.
(every city has homeless who are ignored usually)

a portable radio (walkman)
(to listen to the news and blend in)

Last edited by reb; 05-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.
reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #49
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!

Quote:
Here's the situation:

Its a modern or contemporary setting, lets say sometime between 1995 to the present.

What do you take?

What do you arm yourself with ?

What kind of footwear?

Clothing (or 'armor')?

What kind of communications Gear?
(Assume a team with at least 2 to 3 others as allies)

IF it makes a difference, does the choice of gear change if the situation is:

1) Time traveling to a known destination.

2) Time traveling to a random decade or century.

3) Heading to a Zombie-infested city or town

4) Rescuing friends without permission of the authorities. "Off the Books" (Modern-day, with contemporary/modern-day politics)

5) Invited to be a passenger or crewmember on an alien spacecraft that has visited Earth...and is about to leave

6) Part of a Group of modern-day humans who have decided to STEAL an alien spacecraft that landed here by mistake.

7) You are part of a new group of allies or friends that hunt Vampires or other monsters.

- Ed Charlton
1. For time-traveling to a known time, anything that will ensure my survival or be worth bartering. Plans to set oneself up into business (e.g. a laptop loaded with schematics) would be most useful, and a sidearm.

2. For time-traveling at random and zombies, I'd go loaded for bear, strictly as a soldier.

For the aliens scenarios, I'd bring momentos.

Commo: walkie talkies and plenty of batteries. A solar-powered battery-charger would be handy.

Footwear: hiking boots.

Weapons: varying from self-protection (sidearm) to hunting rifle (30.06, 7.62mm).
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #50
Frost

Quote:
Here's the situation:

Its a modern or contemporary setting, lets say sometime between 1995 to the present.

You or rather your character can only take with him or her what you could reasonably carry on yourself while walking or running. However, that does include an average-sized backpack and maybe an over-the-shoulder duffle bag.

What do you take?

What do you arm yourself with ?

What kind of footwear?

Clothing (or 'armor')?

What kind of communications Gear?[/SIZE]

IF it makes a difference, does the choice of gear change if the situation is:

1) Time traveling to a known destination.

2) Time traveling to a random decade or century.
There are a lot of variables here, what character I am using, who my backup is, what am I doing, how long I am going to be there and in case 1) when and where I am going?

If we assume a slightly cinematic version of me (still not that much to work with) in a standard modern gaming party (at least around my group) of diplomat (probably me based on my few relevent skills), medic, driver/mechanic or tech and weapons man, for short term recon then I would need:

Torch, leatherman, basic hygene kit, a small first aid kit (including painkiller, strong antiseptic, imodium and anti-malarial drugs), basic temperate or urban survival kit, radio (for group communications), camera, PDA or small laptop, solar charger, notebook, pencil, compass a good quantity of tea and a small bottle of scotch.

Add food, small mess kit, alcohol stove or hex cooker and a bivvy if I don't know where I am going or I know I am going to be away from civilisation or something that will pass as a good amount of local money if I know I will be.

Weapons wise a small or medium framed .38 or 9mm with spare amunition I won't be useful enough in a fight to need more than a sidearm. Hopefully other, more compitent, people will have this area covered more fully.

If I am going for case 1) in a rural area or case 2) the traditional layered clothing and hiking boots seem to be the order of the day. In an urban case 1) two sets of local middle class semi-formal clothing. In either case I would be wary about taking armor unless I knew I was walking into a battlefield, it is going to be extra weight and discomfort and I am not planing to go toe to toe with anybody.

Last edited by Frost; 05-21-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, gear