Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Re: Character Prepping for an adventure - what do you take? What is your choice of Ge

Looks like Irish Rover knows how to travel light....and prepared.

- Ed
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Nymdok

Default Re: Character Prepping for an adventure - what do you take? What is your choice of Ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Here's the situation: <snip>
Standard modern adventure loadout:

Layered look - Tshirt, long sleeve flanel overshirt, blue jeans and possibly steel toed work boots, bandanna, leather work gloves.

Mirror - Great for looking around corners and singnaling. Normally no more than about 3 inches in diameter.

Flashlight/penlight - If temporal journeys prevent this, then at least matches.

Trenchcoat/long overcoat - Great for holdout, good against elements.

Leathermen/Swiss Army Knife - Although I still have NO idea what a 'leather punch' is good for, the blade and screw driver tips are worth it.

Crescent Wrench, Channel Locks, Vice Grips - All good multipurpose tools for when a leathermen or SWK just doesnt cut it.

P-38 can opener - If your bumping around the earth in this century, and your hungry, these are damn handy, fit on a keychain and open cans easily.

All of these items can easily fit in a small backpack.

Thats what I would take REGARDLESS of where Im going. More situation specific....

1.) See above

2.) See above

3.) Add lockpick 'gun' to help gather up zombie killing utilities (medical, firearms, food, hardware store items)

4.) Depends on rescue mission, but firearms are more than likely mandatory for this expedition. That said, if you can find some at the ectraction point, theres little need to bring your own if you have high skill/broad familiarity. For foreign countries, a phrasebook of local languages, map and tourists guide could help also.

5.) If the aliens are friendly, bring culture (Movies, music, art, literature) and a first aid kit. If they arent, bring a very large explosive and the stones to use it! :)

6.) Knowing that nothing on earth is going to help you FLY an alien spaceship. Guns to assit me in the securing of other peoples property. A flat bed tow truck with wench in case I cant fly it out. Wire cutters for fences.

7.) Vampires normally have particular vulnerabilities, but what those vulnerabilities are changes from setting to setting. Depending on vulnerabilities: HOly water; Garlic Extract; sharpened chopsticks or other wooden stake, edged weapons for decapitations, depressing book of whiny angsty emo nhilist poetry to stun them with enui.....and Kate Beckinsale.

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 05-06-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post

P-38 can opener - If your bumping around the earth in this century, and your hungry, these are damn handy, fit on a keychain and open cans easily.
Makes me wonder if I still have some of the little leather cases my grandfather made up for them. Basically a slip cover and snap. The reason for them was that he and I both kept ripping open our pockets when pulling out our keys.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
Luke Bunyip

Most of the above. Might add a hand mirror and a roll of gaff tape. Would not leave home without my Vinyl Man TM
Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
trooper6

It really depends on the PC.

The PC I made who was the high femme fashion model face woman with a brick in her purse would have a very different load out than the PC bruiser.

I always try to think in character and pick things that make sense in character.

So it would depend greatly on the PC concept.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #16
SimonAce

My list is similar to Ed's

Assuming I know I am going into an adventure as vs just traveling and I expect danger

Long Pants with pockets
T-Shirt
Underwear
2 Pair Socks
Long Sleeve Shirt
Bush Hat
Light Jacket
Boots
Wallet with Usuals
Wrist Watch
Belt

P38
2 Pocket Knives (1 tactical, 1 swiss army)
Mini First Aid Kit (with extra immodium)
Food Bars (2-4)
Stimulant Pills (If I can't legal get go pills then caffeine pills)
The strongest painkillers I can get legally
Trail Mix with Extra Chocolate Expresso Beans
Small Flashlight
Zip Ties
Paracord
Handkerchiefs 2-3 colorful
Extra Money
Canteen
Sierra Cup
Water Pure Straw
Common Handcuff Keys
Duct Tape
Little waterproof notebook
2 pens
Toilet paper
Magnifying Lens
Lighter
Little Bitty Hygiene Kit
Little Pocket Tarp
Light stick
Whistle
Wire Saw
Leatherman Tool

This all fits on the body and belt

If needed heavy duty belt with

Sidearm 3 reloads (* see options list) holster
Hunting Knife with sharpener and fire-bar on sheath
Mag Lite

Carried either a go bag (I won't detail that here) or a full on pack with
Towel (I do know where my towel is at)
Ground Cover
Head rest
Shelter
Larger First Aid Kit
Hygiene Kit
Gun cleaning kit (very small)
MRE's and other food
Another Knife
Knife Care Kit
Water Bag
Various Plastic Bags
Flashlight Batteries
Light sticks
Duct Tape and lots of it
Drink Mix
Crank Radio
Spare Set of Clothes
Something to do in my spare time
Pen and Notebooks
Lock Release Gun
Rope
Gloves
Spare Clothes
2 sets extra socks
Mirror maybe on a stick
More toilet Paper
Light Weight Shovel with ax edge
Light Weight but strong Sleeping bag
Thermal Underwear
Flares
Smoke Bomb
Wire
Matches
Lighter
Com gear (as per mission)
Hygiene Kit

If I have the weight, maybe a Halligan Bar , and some combo of walking stick, hatchet and or and machete

If I am in any of the spaceship scenarios I am going to carry a lot of extra gear not listed here. After all I can just put it next to me. basically adds a huge duffel full of stuff

I would certainly take an extra .22 probably a Henry AR-7 with suppressor barrel and spare mags if I can get it and lots of ammo, 4 bricks at least or a Ceiner Milspec Ruger Mark 2, 4 extra clips, crimson trace laser grips and loads of ammo

Monster hunting? Add whatever stuff said gribbly is vulnerable to and a gun.

For time travel I include localized kit where possible and gold and silver coins. Also extra ammo

Armor include body armor, keen pads, elbow pads , goggles and PASGT helmet

OK weapons will depend on mission

Zombies? Semi Auto M4 with Shotgun and Flashlight undermount -- 10 mags, .223 -- full load 12 gauge, 6 extra doorbuster shells plus 20 shells and 300 rounds in pack. Sidearm ? Glock 9mm with tritium sights , and laser, 3 spare mags, 4 boxes ammo, 1 elongated 33r clip (reloads all 1 time) Night Scope or Reflex Sight also depending on how they sense the living. If its by sound, a suppressed gun is a must if I can get one

Rescue ? Small handgun 2-3 spare loads -- If I can get a suppressor, I'll consider an auto . if not a snub revolver is fine Also a taser, 2 reloads and possibly a chloroform and rag. Creepy I know but the less dead bodies the better. You can tase them, gas em, zip em up and move on

If I need a long gun, the M4/Glock combo as above no shotgun or long clip

Time Travel (Known)
If possible the sidearm and the long gun will be able to use local ammunition. Select accordingly

Others as for Rescue

Sidearm choices are actually easy

Sidearm : 9mm Glock or .357 Ruger ( I Like Rugers)
Smaller gun : Snub Revolver (Ruger, Colt or Custom Charter Bulldog) or 9mm Glock 26
Third Gun: .22 probably NAA Black Widow with laser (silly I know but its tiny and easy to conceal, optionally the new Ruger LCP 380 with laser and extra mags

extra equipment can be selected as needed

Last edited by SimonAce; 05-07-2010 at 01:52 AM.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

When I see long lists like this, I often wonder what people would say if I put this spin on things:
The overarching theme is "surviving on the run." You have neither a base nor a vehicle. You are moving constantly, primarily on foot, and are rarely able to revisit areas you've left; your odds of returning to claim a cache are low. As a result, you nearly always carry everything you own on your person.

The terrain is primarily enemy-controlled urban. Most action scenes will be Parkour-like – climbing, sliding down rails, leaping gaps between tall buildings, running along high steel, etc. Unplanned swims aren't out of the question. Dress appropriately.

You do not yet know who your foes are, but assume that they are slow but tireless, like zombies or armies of less-fit men who can give chase in relay. You will often have to run for extended periods to increase the gap enough that you can get out of sight and hide. Cardio is vital . . . and so is not being weighed down. Pack light.

Fighting will be with stragglers. If you stop to fight the bulk of pursuers, you will lose. You can leave "surprises," but the enemy is effectively numberless and relentless, so taking down 1, 10, even 100 of them with a trap simply buys you time in the latest chase. It doesn't help you defeat their side, and isn't a useful deterrent. If you try to shoot them all, you will run out of bullets.

To win, you have to adventure for a long time, get to the source, and cut things off there. Pack for the long haul.

What do you bring?
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
When I see long lists like this, I often wonder what people would say if I put this spin on things:
The overarching theme is "surviving on the run." You have neither a base nor a vehicle. You are moving constantly, primarily on foot, and are rarely able to revisit areas you've left; your odds of returning to claim a cache are low. As a result, you nearly always carry everything you own on your person.

The terrain is primarily enemy-controlled urban. Most action scenes will be Parkour-like – climbing, sliding down rails, leaping gaps between tall buildings, running along high steel, etc. Unplanned swims aren't out of the question. Dress appropriately.

You do not yet know who your foes are, but assume that they are slow but tireless, like zombies or armies of less-fit men who can give chase in relay. You will often have to run for extended periods to increase the gap enough that you can get out of sight and hide. Cardio is vital . . . and so is not being weighed down. Pack light.

Fighting will be with stragglers. If you stop to fight the bulk of pursuers, you will lose. You can leave "surprises," but the enemy is effectively numberless and relentless, so taking down 1, 10, even 100 of them with a trap simply buys you time in the latest chase. It doesn't help you defeat their side, and isn't a useful deterrent. If you try to shoot them all, you will run out of bullets.

To win, you have to adventure for a long time, get to the source, and cut things off there. Pack for the long haul.

What do you bring?

All I need is suicide pill and a gun and grenades if I can get them. Shoot and boom till I am out of bullets save one than swallow the pill. No way can I even try to complete the mission. This is almost certainly a no win situation for anyone other then a parkour expert. There is no way to carry supplies, no real way to rest and one injury (virtually 100% certain in such scenarios) equals death. Its not a relay hunt across a flat plain in turf . In game context its a Kobiyashi Maru.

However assuming that there will be a win condition thats feasible I'll keep my body kit as above.

Long Pants with pockets
T-Shirt
Underwear
2 Pair Socks
Long Sleeve Shirt
Bush Hat
Light Jacket
Boots
Wallet with Usuals
Wrist Watch
Belt

P38
2 Pocket Knives (1 tactical, 1 swiss army)
Mini First Aid Kit (with extra immodium)
Food Bars (2-4)
Stimulant Pills (If I can't legal get go pills then caffeine pills)
The strongest painkillers I can get legally
Trail Mix with Extra Chocolate Expresso Beans
Small Flashlight
Zip Ties
Paracord
Handkerchiefs 2-3 colorful
Extra Money
Canteen
Sierra Cup
Water Pure Straw
Common Handcuff Keys
Duct Tape
Little waterproof notebook
2 pens
Toilet paper
Magnifying Lens
Lighter
Little Bitty Hygiene Kit
2 Little Pocket Tarp
Light stick
Whistle
Wire Saw
Eye Protection
Ear Plugs (these probably won't get used but are tiny and near weightless)

Everything there is light weight and designed to have the basics ready at hand and in pockets.

I am pretty sure the whole rig weighs 20lbs or less with ammo and weapons as I designed that set up exactly for a run and gun scenario.

For that scenario I will want lighter shoes with reinforced toes and light gloves, bike helmet, shin pads knee pads and elbow pads to reduce common crippling injuries. I might consider a flotation device as well.

The sidearm is going to be the Glock 9mm, in a nylon holster every ounce I can save helps. The laser is light weight and stays. However I might sub out the flashlight in kit for a tacticool flashlight mount with detachable light This one scenario where such a thing will be useful. Any time the light is used, use the gun. Ammo will be 3 extra mags and subject to weight 9mm rounds in plastic speed strips or the like for reduced weight. Tuck them into pouches and in loose areas . Ammo is heavy but you might need it and I have to assume that I won't get any more and will need some for the BBG or at least one last round for suicide .

The big knife gets dropped for a multi tool. I don't need melee capacity but I may need pliers and the Maglite has to go. I love them but they are too heavy :(

Now as for my bag, An on the run urban scenario means you can get some equipment and shelter so, whats carried has to be useful and expendable.

2 Beach Towels (I do know where my towel is at)
Ground Cover
Larger First Aid Kit
Hygiene Kit
Gun cleaning kit (very small)
MRE's and other food, repackaged
Another Knife
Cord
Knife Care Kit
Water Bag
Various Plastic Bags
Flashlight Batteries
Light sticks
Duct Tape and lots of it
Drink Mix
Lock Release Gun
Mirror maybe on a stick
Wire
Matches
Hygiene Kit
Shelter Half
Optionally Light weight grapple and rope
a light weight sleeping bag (a Big Agnes horse thief weighs less than 2 lbs)
Halligan Bar this weighs less than a lb and while less useful than the heavier gear, its better than nada
last one luxury I am considering, a pump up pad and pillow comob. This is 2 lbs but some comfort in sleep is life saver.

The whole bag is maybe 25 lbs with extra ammo and as time goes, items will be dropped as they are used Since this is urban I'll assume limited resupply

2 items if they can be had, a suppressor for the 9mm and grenades (2) will also add weight.

My Target weight is less than 30 lbs kit + 20 body and clothes

This should keep me in light encumbrance ;)

Last edited by SimonAce; 05-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Kromm has the basic gist of the idea.

However, two of those seven framing scenarios imply a possibly 'calmer' situation...but still situations where there might be combat or adversaries.

Here is the core of it :
__ __ __ __
The whole idea is that your player character involved in this KNOWS that he or she is about to get into a risky adventure of some kind - and for whatever reason he or she has volunteered to do this or they have to out of necessity for some reason.

The equipment or gear is what you grab for such an event when you got less than 24 hours to prepare and very limited or no knowledge of whats ahead of you.
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

I was on the verge of putting this in the GURPS section - but the other two thirds of me thought it made more sense for the Roleplaying In General section.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post

This is almost certainly a no win situation for anyone other then a parkour expert [...] I game context its a Kobiyashi Maru and I'd refuse to play .. Sorry Herr Doctor
Naw, it isn't "no win." The Warriors won in The Warriors, and the survivors in Left 4 Dead can win round after round, too. Remember that you're in urban terrain. I'm assuming everything that goes along with that: stuff to scavenge, places to hide temporarily, and cracks in the infrastructure. It's just that you can't lug 200 lbs. of guns and ammo around, or rely on returning to your Secret Base; you can't afford to be burdened; and your pursuers aren't the Big Bad, so you're fighting to flee from them for long enough to solve the problem that put them on your case, not to defeat the Big Bad by chipping away at his/her/its army.

Crossing a good-sized sprawl or conurbation on foot could be the focus of an entire campaign, really. You might need months to get to the other side if you have to investigate the Big Bad's plots, pause to scavenge, hide and let wounded friends heal, and pick your way through the city a few feet at a time to avoid being seen. That doesn't mean the heroes are doomed, only that they have to be resourceful survivalists used to choosing flight and stealth over confrontation and bravado. Rats and roaches, not wolves and bears.

I'm just curious, because I've always been partial to regarding equipment as secondary to innate traits, and basically disposable. I think it would be cool to run a campaign where the solution to every problem isn't sufficient firepower punctuated by "I have it in the humvee." And I'm curious as to what people would pack, knowing that they'd have to maintain it on the run, supply themselves by scrounging, and keep their loads light enough to allow belly-crawls through ducts and rooftop escapes.

In fantasy terms, this would be akin to a thieves-only campaign, without meat-shield fighters, heavy armor, and foes meant to be defeated by combat. The goal would be to sneak, steal what you need without getting caught, and stay light enough to climb, cross tightropes, etc. There's an entire genre of video games about this, in fact.

I feel that such a campaign would be a nice change, because weapons and fighting would become secondary instead of being the primary focus that they are in so many RPG campaigns. Given warning, it's easy to choose weapons: identify target weaknesses, stock up, and go in loaded for bear. Planning for an extended stealth run requires a lot more thought and foresight, and the results interest me. It's common to draw out fighting or investigation from a single encounter to a full adventure and even a full campaign, but stealth and scavenging rarely get this kind of long-form treatment.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, gear