Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #301
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Minor League Supers [Powers/Supers]

Of course, an alternative to Dark Vision that would probably be thematic would be Vibration Sense (Reliable, +10, +50%; Sense of Perception, +100%) [25], which would represent a supernatural awareness of their surroundings. While characters could not see in darkness, they could easily sense things in darkness (as well as invisible enemies) well enough to fight effectively.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:28 AM   #302
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Okay, I've been looking over the commentary for the Von Fangula Family Template. A lot of good stuff here ...

While Per +4 is a good buy as well as thematic, the problem I have with it is that it partially mitigates a lot of the inconveninces a Von Fangula would have in the daytime. I consider a vital part of the concept being that the Von Fangulas have a degree of social alienation due to their difficulty in interacting in the daytime. While the Weakness can be handled by simply bundling up or staying indoors, the sensory problems can't be mitigated. I want a VF to feel both weak and sensory-deprived in the daytime (many VFs who can't adapt would develop Bad Temper during daytime, others would adapt).

Also, the racial Combat Reflexes feels unnecessary to me. VFs who get training or have a natural talent for it would buy it, but as the VFs aren't combat monsters, merely people with a odd biological condition, it shouldn't be an automatic.

The Vibration Sense is a good idea, but good night vision is kind of necessary for someone with the basic anti-daylight mutation. While Dark Vision is useful, I agree that it would be too much, and Night Vision is a proper replacement.

And the Voice thing is completely forgotten, it seems. Vampire-looking people should have a distinctive voice. But after looking over all the commentary, I'm developing a minimalist look for this. So go "Perk" instead of something more costly.

So that winds up like this ...

Von Fangula Family Template [135 points]

Attributes:
ST+2 [20]; HT+2 [20]
Secondary Attributes: Per+4 (Accessibility, Night Only, -20%) [16]

Advantages: Extended Lifespan 2 [4]
Flight (Accessibility, Night Only, -20%) [32]
Lifting ST+10 (Accessibility, Night Only, -20%) [24]
Night Vision 6 [6]
Regeneration (Regular; Accessibility, Night Only, -20%) [20]
Sharp Claws (Switchable, +10%; Temporary Disadvantage, Ham-Fisted 2, -10%) [5]
Sharp Teeth (Switchable, +10%; Temporary Disadvantage, Stuttering, -10%) [1]
Striking ST+10 (Accessibility, Night Only, -20%) [40]
Vibration Sense (Reliable +10, +50%; Sense of Perception, +100%; Accessibility, Night Only, -20%) [23]

Perks: Penetrating Voice [1]

Disadvantages: Appearance (Ugly) [-8]
Bad Sight (Nearsighted; Accessibility, Day Only, -20%) [-20]
Colorblindness (Accessibility, Day Only, -20%) [-8]
Lunacy [-10]
Restricted Diet (Carnivore) [-10]
Unusual Biochemistry [-5]
Weakness (Sunlight; 1d per 5 minutes; FP Damage, -50%) [-15]

Quirks: Distinctive Features (Pointy-Eared Albino) [-1]

Notes: Members of the Family usually also have Independent Income 5, Status 1, Wealth (Filthy Rich), and Enemy (Vampire Wannabees, Watchers, 9-) or Enemy (Vampire Hunters, Hunter, 9-), for a total of +50 CP.

This template can be used for any character from 100 points (for a young or utter loser VF) to 500 points (for a VF who is very successful or has worked up to heroic stature) with no problem.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #303
Varyon

As previously noted, Accessibility for Disadvantages should be built as having the unmodified Disadvantage, then an Advantage that cancels it out. The reverse of the Accessibility would apply to the Advantage. This makes Bad Sight (Day Only) actually be Bad Sight and Negated Bad Sight (Night Only -20%). Thus, Bad Sight (Day Only) would be worth [-5], while Color Blindness (Day Only) would be [-2]. That’s a net [+21] to the template, bringing it to [156].
Old 09-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #304
AlexanderHowl

Where exactly is that stated in the books? Because I have seen no mention of it in published templates.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #305
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Where exactly is that stated in the books? Because I have seen no mention of it in published templates.
I’m not certain it is, but it is very much in keeping with GURPS design philosophy regarding Limitations - assume the players will do their best to mitigate disadvantageous effects, and thus give fewer points back than dictated by pure random probability (thus an Advantage that’s available 50% of the time costs 80% as much as the wild Advantage). It’s clearly not right that a Disadvantage that only applies during the day would be worth a full 80% of the wild Disadvantage when the player can typically avoid most of the problems with it by just adventuring at night.

Edit: An exception can be seen with Vulnerability - while not explicit, the math works out if Vulnerability were a wild Disadvantage worth [-50] for x2 (and [-25] more per additional level) with the pricing of Limited Defenses applies. As the players have very little control over the damage types of their enemies (aside from, day, a troll PC opting not to go into the Cave of Fire Elementals, Fire-Breathing Dragons, and Generally Things That Produce Fire), while enemies can purposefully change their weapons/tactics to take advantage of the PC’s Vulnerability, this is arguably fair.

Last edited by Varyon; 09-06-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:45 AM   #306
AlexanderHowl

If it is not explicitly stated in the books or the errata, then it is a house rule and does not particularly apply to this thread. By RAW, the template seems valid unless there is any particular reason by RAW that it would be invalid.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 09-06-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #307
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
If it is not explicitly stated in the books or the errata, then it is a house rule and does not particularly apply to this thread. By RAW, the template seems valid unless there is any particular reason by RAW that it would be invalid.
I believe it's in Power-Ups 8: Limitations. I'm absolutely certain there's a book it is in, but I don't have access to my books now.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #308
AlexanderHowl

But it contradicts the entire structure of modifiers for traits (and is needlessly complicated). For example, Mitigator (Corrective Lenses) is worth -60% as a limitation for Bad Sight. We do not calculate it by buying No Bad Sight (Accessibility, Only When Not Wearing Corrective Lenses) and then adding it to Bad Sight to determine the difference (especially when the Accessibility would be only worth -20%). The difference is quite significant, -10 CP by RAW and -5 CP by the house rule.

In another case, imagine Terminal Illness (Two years; Mitigator, Monthly Treatment, -70%) [-15]. If we used the house rule, we would need to purchase No Terminal Illness (Two Years) [50] and then apply Accessibility (Only when not benefiting from a monthy treatment). The Accessibility would be worth only -10%, so the advantage would be worth 45 CP. The difference would be -15 CP for RAW and -5 CP for the house rule.

Now, it may apply for buying off disadvantages from templates. For example, in a setting where Dwarfs have Greed (12), a Dwarf with No Greed effectively has a 10 CP advantage. Now, if the same Dwarf had No Greed (Accessibility, Only in cases not involving gold, -20%), then No Greed would be worth 8 CP and, when the template is added to the character, the result is -2 CP. That is, however, a minor issue with template disadvantages rather than a major issue with limiting disadvantages.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 09-06-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #309
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
But it contradicts the entire structure of modifiers for traits (and is needlessly complicated). For example, Mitigator (Corrective Lenses) is worth -60% as a limitation for Bad Sight. We do not calculate it by buying No Bad Sight (Accessibility, Only When Not Wearing Corrective Lenses) and then adding it to Bad Sight to determine the difference (especially when the Accessibility would be only worth -20%). The difference is quite significant, -10 CP by RAW and -5 CP by the house rule.

In another case, imagine Terminal Illness (Two years; Mitigator, Monthly Treatment, -70%) [-15]. If we used the house rule, we would need to purchase No Terminal Illness (Two Years) [50] and then apply Accessibility (Only when not benefiting from a monthy treatment). The Accessibility would be worth only -10%, so the advantage would be worth 45 CP. The difference would be -15 CP for RAW and -5 CP for the house rule.
Well, obviously Mitigators are different. They're specifically designed to be balanced for disadvantages. Limitations specifically for disads aren't the same as trying to use general limitations on disads.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #310
RedMattis

By that logic you can't use limitations on Disadvantage to begin with since they are designed for advantages.

If we're using them unmodified for diadvantages I'll be having the following: Decreased Time Rate, Total Paralysis, Blindness, with (Accessibility: Only a short time after eating a chunk of raw rotten fish, -20%).

:)

Tags
supers