Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School

I came here to teach
And in answering questions
I did also learn
— Some hack
In GURPS, "learning" is often just a euphemism for "spending points on new traits that make my character more powerful." That's fine, but sometimes you want more than that – whether because realism matters or because education is a theme of an adventure or even the whole campaign. In situations like these, Chapter 9 of the GURPS Basic Set might not be enough . . . which is why we've released GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School.

This supplement builds on the existing mechanics for learning, elaborating on the options in the Basic Set and other supplements, and offering entirely new ideas (like treating study as a "job" that pays in hours toward new skills instead of in $). It also views training from the instructor's perspective, explaining how the Teaching skill works in play, extending GURPS Social Engineering to the teacher-student relationship, and addressing practical matters (such as getting paid!). It covers a variety of ancillary concepts, too, from tuition fees to shifting points from skills to attributes to reflect the holistic benefits of a broad education. Yet it isn't all crunch – gamers who want to run campaigns that use these rules will find plenty of advice on how to make that interesting.

Fond of heroes who study somewhere other than at the School of Hard Knocks? Interested in a campaign inspired by high-school themed anime or a certain well-known school of witchcraft and wizardry? Want to make anything from realistic Special Forces training to being Trained by a Master an adventure rather than a background story? GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School is your textbook!

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1668
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
cptbutton

Default Re: GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School

I was hoping you'd licensed the Rodney Dangerfield movie...
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I was hoping you'd licensed the Rodney Dangerfield movie...
Well, that movie's whole premise can be done using this book, I'd say. Still, that particular license would be a niche within a niche within a niche.... that is to say, wouldn't sell to more than a handful of people.

I just have to say... CURSE YOU, BUDGET! :(

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Reading what's on the W23 page, this seems to be EXACTLY what I need right now! Bought.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

At least now all teachers capable of teaching will no longer be equally good at it. That's a huge step forward for GURPS.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:18 AM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Accelerated Learning looks like it will be a popular advantage for those who use the "Improvement Through Study" rules.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
Randyman

Haven't seen it yet, sadly. I'd be essentially uninterested in the learning rules, but heavily interested in educational settings for campaigns or educational institutions for "broader" settings. As usual, something for everyone, it appears! (That attention to scope is well appreciated.)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Haven't seen it yet, sadly. I'd be essentially uninterested in the learning rules, but heavily interested in educational settings for campaigns or educational institutions for "broader" settings. As usual, something for everyone, it appears! (That attention to scope is well appreciated.)
Out of the four chapters, The first one is more or less rules about learning. The second chapter is about two thirds rules about teaching, one third discussion about "being a teacher". The third chapter is about organizations. The fourth chapter is about campaigns.

Your judgement if that's enough for you.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Out of the four chapters, The first one is more or less rules about learning. The second chapter is about two thirds rules about teaching, one third discussion about "being a teacher". The third chapter is about organizations. The fourth chapter is about campaigns.

Your judgement if that's enough for you.
Definitely. Like I said, good attention to scope; something for many/most, if not everyone. Thanks for the breakdown!

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
munin

The original Super-Speed enhancement for ATR (p. P42) states it can't be used to hasten learning (it's only for mundane repetitive tasks, which learning is not), while Back to School says it can (p. 20) but only with a similar teacher, I guess?

Last edited by munin; 07-11-2015 at 08:15 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
social engineering