Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Trekkin

Default A Very Malphas Democalypse

I was watching the election and related fallout, and it occurs to me: in the In Nomine-verse, Malphas might very well see an opportunity in the rampant cynicism surrounding the process, in that a cycle of truly horrifying politics on both sides could be ramped up to secession-inducing levels of nastiness without unduly raising suspicion. More to the point, it lends itself well to a traditional three-act structure, with lots of nice deadlines and things to move the players along a campaign based on it.

So, assuming he took a leaf from A Very Nybbas Christmas and decided to make politics as divisive as possible as fast as possible by manipulating the agendas and practices of both sides into pure opposition, with the express intent of starting an ideologically driven civil war that would destabilize the entire world, how would the other superiors react?

I can see Baal and Saminga eagerly awaiting the final outcome, Nybbas giving two thumbs up to the entire viewer-grabbing process, and Beleth grinning unsettlingly to herself at the prospect of the nightmares people will conjure for themselves...but what about Haagenti? Fleurity? Kobal? Heck, Asmodeus? It's a Game, sure, but not one he's playing.

And I have no idea about the Archangels. As much as they'd presumably be opposed to the whole process on principle (Novalis in particular), I would imagine Malphas isn't stupid: he'd craft the ideologies of each nascent faction to appeal as much to a single existing faction topside as possible, at least in potential. How would they react to such a state of affairs?
Trekkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: A Very Malphas Democalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
And I have no idea about the Archangels. As much as they'd presumably be opposed to the whole process on principle (Novalis in particular), I would imagine Malphas isn't stupid: he'd craft the ideologies of each nascent faction to appeal as much to a single existing faction topside as possible, at least in potential. How would they react to such a state of affairs?
Much as Michael likes war--is War--he's not going to give a piddling demon like Malphas the satisfaction of dancing to his tune. He brought this trouble to Janus, his dear brother in arms, and Janus remembered a curious little incident...

http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/art...nce.Ralph.html

So Janus sent one of his fastest servants to go fetch Ralph and drag him around the U.S. (because, let's face it, that was the only way Ralph was going to go anywhere). And while it fed an infernal Word it also hoist Malphas by his own petard, forcing Factions to deal with the other factions in Hell. Meanwhile jaded Americans looked at all the madness and thought--meh, it's an election year.

And for now, War enjoys his battle won.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Trekkin

So what's to stop Malphas sending a team to rescue Ralph?
(which would make an amusing mini-adventure)
Actually, what's to stop Asmodeus from rescuing an important, if bizarre, piece in the Game?

And how is Janus' agent caring enough to keep dragging him? I have this image of a very long rope being employed...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
So what's to stop Malphas sending a team to rescue Ralph?
(which would make an amusing mini-adventure)
Actually, what's to stop Asmodeus from rescuing an important, if bizarre, piece in the Game?

And how is Janus' agent caring enough to keep dragging him? I have this image of a very long rope being employed...
Angels of The Wind are on a mission to shake things up - the antithesis of apathy. I'd allow them a bonus equal to their Celestial Forces to their rolls to resist Ralph's effects.

As for the Demon Princes - sure, they could act, but "why care about Apathy?" It'll take them a while to shake off that effect.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Trekkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
As for the Demon Princes - sure, they could act, but "why care about Apathy?" It'll take them a while to shake off that effect.
Quite the ticking clock, although it's a wonder Janus doesn't keep someone schlepping him over Earth to foil everything demons do. Ralph's a handy guy to have around.

Incidentally, tHEhERETIC, thanks for pointing me to the fanmade demon prices. These are priceless.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Quite the ticking clock, although it's a wonder Janus doesn't keep someone schlepping him over Earth to foil everything demons do. Ralph's a handy guy to have around.
If Janus keeps on doing the same thing, it becomes routine... and he can't have that!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Trekkin

Quote:
If Janus keeps on doing the same thing, it becomes routine... and he can't have that!
So is the answer simply to outlast him? How long until Janus gets bored of dragging a demon along...or some overzealous Malakim does what they do best?

By the time i actually run this, i suspect my players will find the whole plan a mess of paranoid overengineering.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
By the time i actually run this, i suspect my players will find the whole plan a mess of paranoid overengineering.
Well, it's Malphas - of course it's going to be paranoid!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Trekkin

Quote:
Well, it's Malphas - of course it's going to be paranoid!
Which brings up a question that's been weighing on my mind for some time: what are the strategic elements of his plan going to be? I can see how, logically, one might proceed, but Malphas isn't acting on the same assumptions. What kinds of crazy internal affairs is he going to have running in the middle of this thing?

Tags
malphas