Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default [Divine Favor] Resurrection

I have a couple of questions about Resurrection from Divine Favor.

1. It says that this form of Cosmic, "gives one try, ever." Does this mean that if he dies again at some later point, the same healer cannot bring him back again. Or does it mean that a healer has one try to bring him back from death each time he dies?

2. If I modify Resurrection with Cosmic, Irresistable Attack, +300% will the healing only last one minute as there is no margin of success? Or is there some way to increase the number of minutes it will last?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: [Divine Favor] Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
I have a couple of questions about Resurrection from Divine Favor.

1. It says that this form of Cosmic, "gives one try, ever." Does this mean that if he dies again at some later point, the same healer cannot bring him back again. Or does it mean that a healer has one try to bring him back from death each time he dies?
One try each time he dies.

Quote:
2. If I modify Resurrection with Cosmic, Irresistable Attack, +300% will the healing only last one minute as there is no margin of success? Or is there some way to increase the number of minutes it will last?
That's not what Cosmic, Irresistable Attack does. What you want is something like Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, except that's specifically not allowed for Afflictions.

Basically, you can't do what you want. There is no way to remove the die roll.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
That's not what Cosmic, Irresistable Attack does. What you want is something like Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, except that's specifically not allowed for Afflictions.

Basically, you can't do what you want. There is no way to remove the die roll.
My bad. It seems I rolled the attack and the resistance roll into one.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Why not? Affliction is an attack and therefore I can use Cosmic that way. The problem is that the margin of success of the attack determines how many minutes he will heal which determines if the target will be resurrected or not.
The roll to hit with the attack can be removed, but the roll to resist the effects cannot. However, there are several legal ways to rig the resistance roll, like attribute bonuses and Luck.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The roll to hit with the attack can be removed, but the roll to resist the effects cannot. However, there are several legal ways to rig the resistance roll, like attribute bonuses and Luck.
You can sort of get rid of the resistance roll - with Malediction, it becomes a Quick Contest, and then the "target" can waive their resistance, which they'd do for a beneficial Affliction. I might go either way about a dead person's "soul" (or, alternatively, their desire to remain alive at the moment of their death) being able to waive their resistance roll on behalf of their corpse, probably settling on "yes, of course".

But if I felt more stingy about it, I'd allow a Cosmic, Person can waive resistance for his corpse, +50% for such a resurrection Malediction Affliction for sure.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
You can sort of get rid of the resistance roll - with Malediction, it becomes a Quick Contest, and then the "target" can waive their resistance, which they'd do for a beneficial Affliction. I might go either way about a dead person's "soul" (or, alternatively, their desire to remain alive at the moment of their death) being able to waive their resistance roll on behalf of their corpse, probably settling on "yes, of course".

But if I felt more stingy about it, I'd allow a Cosmic, Person can waive resistance for his corpse, +50% for such a resurrection Malediction Affliction for sure.
AFAIK, people can already waive their resistance rolls and fail automatically, unless they are in a must-lose situation where the roll only distinguishes between normal and critical failure.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
AFAIK, people can already waive their resistance rolls and fail automatically, unless they are in a must-lose situation where the roll only distinguishes between normal and critical failure.
That's not my reading of p. P40, the section in the box about Beneficial Afflictions. That rather seems to unambiguously state that the subject only gets to waive their resistance if it's a Malediction (because then it's a Quick Contest).
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
That's not my reading of p. P40, the section in the box about Beneficial Afflictions. That rather seems to unambiguously state that the subject only gets to waive their resistance if it's a Malediction (because then it's a Quick Contest).
It's an uncollected Krommnote, grandfathered in from 3e unless there's a general rule change against it. The more specific rule on POWERS p.40 is relevant to Maledictions, but stops short of an affirmative statement about non-Maledictions. Meanwhile, the general section of success rolls on p.B343 says they are only required when there is a chance of gainful success or meaningful failure. If your success would not be gainful, like if you *want* to be overcome by the gas, you needn't make the HT roll to see if you can avoid inhaling cos you are positively inhaling the gas on purpose.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
PK

Resurrection is a beneficial Affliction; it is not resisted! Instead, the subject must succeed at a HT roll to enjoy the benefits of the Resurrection. So this cannot be "waived," any more than you can choose to "waive" your HT roll against a disease to automatically resist infection, or "waive" a skill roll to succeed automatically!

If you want the person to succeed, there are several ways to do it, but before addressing that, let's take a step back. Note the end of the miracle description: When being used as a specific prayer, the GM is encouraged to ignore the actual rules and simply "rez" anyone the god would approve of. If the GM wants a game world in which the Resurrection learned prayer works this way, it's okay -- the only reason the rules suggest being strict on the learned prayers is to give the GM something to point to to prevent his players from rules-lawyering their way into "free rezzes."

So if you're just concerned about Resurrection as a learned prayer -- that is, you're not trying to build some sort of unique power system in which specific builds are crucial -- I'd suggest just treating the learned prayer usage as you would the specific prayer usage. It's easier, and as long as the god is strict about who He will and won't bring back, it's pretty much a wash in terms of utility.

(Otherwise, if specific build details matter, I agree with making it a Malediction. Add Malediction 1, Reliable 10, and two Cosmics (No die roll required, +100%, and No Rule of 16, +50%). This adds 30 points to the Statistics cost and the learned prayer cost. Now the petitioner rolls Will+10; if he fails, treat him as succeeding with a margin of 0. The subject then rolls against HT with a bonus equal to the paragon's margin of success, which virtually guarantees a great success.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
[snip]The subject then rolls against HT with a bonus equal to the paragon's margin of success, which virtually guarantees a great success.)
What about the rule that target of Affliction with Malediction can waive his resist roll? (p. P40)
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divine favor, resurrection