Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Permeation with Tunneling vs. Can Carry Objects

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglorax View Post
I feel pretty good about the idea that you can carry objects through the tunnel, but I'm still not 100% clear on whether you can be carrying objects while making the tunnel in the first place.

Any thoughts?
I think you have the right of it as far as how Tunnel and CCO interact. When you assume that the two enhancements can be taken together, you should also assume that without CCO, a Permeator w/ Tunnel would not be able to carry objects while using the advantage. Afterward, walking through the tunnel you made is not using the advantage, so of course you could carry stuff then, just as anyone else could.

Note:
Tunnels left by most SM 0 characters may not necessarily be comfortable for others to traverse. Tunnel is inherently switchable, so that a Permeator with it can decide whether or not to leave a passage at any time.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I think you have the right of it as far as how Tunnel and CCO interact. When you assume that the two enhancements can be taken together, you should also assume that without CCO, a Permeator w/ Tunnel would not be able to carry objects while using the advantage. Afterward, walking through the tunnel you made is not using the advantage, so of course you could carry stuff then, just as anyone else could.

Note:
Tunnels left by most SM 0 characters may not necessarily be comfortable for others to traverse. Tunnel is inherently switchable, so that a Permeator with it can decide whether or not to leave a passage at any time.
Wait - do you need CCO with Flight to carry objects in Flight? Or when running with Enhanced Move? If not, I wouldn't require it when essentally what you're doing is walking through a tunnel that you're making ahead of yourself.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
younglorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Wait - do you need CCO with Flight to carry objects in Flight? Or when running with Enhanced Move? If not, I wouldn't require it when essentally what you're doing is walking through a tunnel that you're making ahead of yourself.
The reason for the interpretation where you need CCO is that the book says, "You can leave a tunnel (of about your size) behind you, if you choose." (emphasis mine).
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Wait - do you need CCO with Flight to carry objects in Flight? Or when running with Enhanced Move?
Yes. Fortunately, however, Flight and Enhanced Move have that quality already built-in - although I could see a Cannot Carry Objects Limitation thrown on to either of them.
Creating a nice, perfect tunnel is what happens if Tunneling includes (or is in addition to) Can Carry Objects. Otherwise, you're making some sort of tunnel that is impassable if you are carrying any objects. At least, that's my interpretation - although one where you simply can't carry anything while creating the tunnel also works.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Yes. Fortunately, however, Flight and Enhanced Move have that quality already built-in - although I could see a Cannot Carry Objects Limitation thrown on to either of them.
Creating a nice, perfect tunnel is what happens if Tunneling includes (or is in addition to) Can Carry Objects. Otherwise, you're making some sort of tunnel that is impassable if you are carrying any objects. At least, that's my interpretation - although one where you simply can't carry anything while creating the tunnel also works.
Best to forget the enhancement and just take Tunneling as an Alternative Ability, then. The idea that you can create actual, physical tunnels in a wall where people trying to follow you have to drop their weapons and get undressed unless you pay more for the ability is pretty strange to me...
Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Best to forget the enhancement and just take Tunneling as an Alternative Ability, then. The idea that you can create actual, physical tunnels in a wall where people trying to follow you have to drop their weapons and get undressed unless you pay more for the ability is pretty strange to me...
You don't leave a tunnel unless you want people to follow you. Allowing people to follow you without stripping (and, perhaps more importantly, leaving all their stuff behind) seems like a clear Enhancement to me. The fact your enemies can also make use of it is problematic... unless you collapse the tunnel after you (which shouldn't be too hard).
Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #17
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
You don't leave a tunnel unless you want people to follow you. Allowing people to follow you without stripping (and, perhaps more importantly, leaving all their stuff behind)
Why would they have to strip?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 AM   #18
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Why would they have to strip?
Many tunnels in fiction have everything carried get lost in transit, though it's more common for things to just get left behind, falling to the ground as the traveler passes into the tunnel.

Nothing like having your fillings and contacts hit the ground to really appreciate some carrying capacity.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Many tunnels in fiction have everything carried get lost in transit, though it's more common for things to just get left behind, falling to the ground as the traveler passes into the tunnel.

Nothing like having your fillings and contacts hit the ground to really appreciate some carrying capacity.
Teleport tunnnels, maybe. Not actual physical tunnels in walls, the ground, etc. At least not that I've ever seen.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
No, most tunnels in fiction are physical holes and you just walk through them. The Permeation Tunnel is NOT a teleportal.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doors, insubstantiality, locks, permeation, tunneling