Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #621
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_walker View Post
For anyone still on the fence - the Nook HD and HD+ are a great deal right now if you don't need the newest/best tablets around. (B&N is killing them off, but they opened up the full Google Play store before they did, so they don't even need to be rooted to be useful.)

Good resolution (for 2012 models) at a rather nice price.

(And micro SD slot for those who care!)
What are the stats? Megapixels, and screen diagonal size, in particular?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #622
raven_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
What are the stats? Megapixels, and screen diagonal size, in particular?
1920x1280 9-inch screen 256ppi for the Nook HD+ $149 16G / $179 32G
1440x900 7-inch screen 243ppi for the Nook HD $129 8G / $149 16G

(Not quite as good as the 2013 resolutions on the Nexus (and probably newer ipad/mini,) but a good bit less expensive than either.)
raven_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #623
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
1920x1280 9-inch screen 256ppi for the Nook HD+ $149 16G / $179 32G
1440x900 7-inch screen 243ppi for the Nook HD $129 8G / $149 16G

(Not quite as good as the 2013 resolutions on the Nexus (and probably newer ipad/mini,) but a good bit less expensive than either.)
Thanks.

And you use the 7 incher to read e23 GURPS PDFs?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #624
raven_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Thanks.

And you use the 7 incher to read e23 GURPS PDFs?
I tried both, the 7" was fairly good for reading full-size PDFs without any cropping (I do have good close-in vision, can just about read unzoomed PDFs on my ipod, so YMMV) but I went for the 9" because I prefer the bigger screen for web browsing and the like (and reading even uncropped PDFs is a genuine pleasure on it.) I also have big hands, so the 9" is comfortable for me to grip.

The 7" would probably work very well with cropped margins, and reasonably well with good eyesight and no cropping.

Last edited by raven_walker; 09-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.
raven_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #625
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
I tried both, the 7" was fairly good for reading full-size PDFs without any cropping (I do have good close-in vision, can just about read unzoomed PDFs on my ipod, so YMMV) but I went for the 9" because I prefer the bigger screen for web browsing and the like (and reading even uncropped PDFs is a genuine pleasure on it.) I also have big hands, so the 9" is comfortable for me to grip.

The 7" would probably work very well with cropped margins, and reasonably well with good eyesight and no cropping.
I use my Nexus 7 (2012 edition) to do that, with cropped margins, and it works well. With the extra resolution of the 7" Nook, it would work even better (though I would go for the 2013 Nexus 7 if my nexus broke). Mind you, I have good eyesight, and do not mind 7" screens for reading margin cropped letter sized PDFs. Those of you that are far sighted might need something bigger.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #626
Daeglan

So i got iAnnotate PDf for the Android. Finally a tabbed PDF viewer for android so I can have multiple PDFs open at the same time. My use of PDF books at the table just got better.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #627
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

eBookDroid doesn't quite have tabs, but it does have a drop down menu where you can navigate back to your library and open up another file, then switch back & forth between the different books you have open.

My problem with all these programs is that they are still dog slow to access. It's quicker to get up, grab a book, then flip through it to find what I want than to open a PDF and do a search on my Droid. It's still great having my entire GURPS library in a one pound package, and being able to easily read at night in bed or at other times. I just prefer books at the table.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #628
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
eBookDroid doesn't quite have tabs, but it does have a drop down menu where you can navigate back to your library and open up another file, then switch back & forth between the different books you have open.

My problem with all these programs is that they are still dog slow to access. It's quicker to get up, grab a book, then flip through it to find what I want than to open a PDF and do a search on my Droid. It's still great having my entire GURPS library in a one pound package, and being able to easily read at night in bed or at other times. I just prefer books at the table.
iAnnotate is dog slow on my 2012 Nexus 7, but RepliGo flies. Also, by letting me use bookmarks it can be faster than a dead tree book. Still, I print and spiral bind any PDF that will end up being used at the table.

By the way there is another contender, Quickoffice got re-released not so long ago and it works decently too.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #629
Daeglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
iAnnotate is dog slow on my 2012 Nexus 7, but RepliGo flies. Also, by letting me use bookmarks it can be faster than a dead tree book. Still, I print and spiral bind any PDF that will end up being used at the table.

By the way there is another contender, Quickoffice got re-released not so long ago and it works decently too.

Does Repligo allowed tabbed PDF viewing?
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #630
JackShadow

I've been using my Asus TF300T for all my PDF gamebook reading and it's worked great. But I recently got a Kobo Aura to use as an eInk eBook reader. It supports PDF so I thought I'd load one up and give it a try.

http://www.kobo.com/koboaura

It is only a 6" screen so when a GURPS or Pyramid PDF is full screen my mid-40 year old eyes can't read it without a magnifying glass, but when I do use one the text is scary clear. And when I use the built-in Zoom feature it becomes remarkably clear. The eInk screen isn't as fast to refresh as a full tablet but it is way faster than I expected. I wouldn't recommend it as your main portable PDF reader, but it works in a pinch. And I absolutely love it as an eReader.
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf