Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #161
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Another thing to pay attention to is the OS of the tablet, if you're going to buy a tablet to use as a PDF reader. Recently, Google has said that their Android operating system is intended for cellular phones and not for tablet computers.

Android will be updated eventually, I'm sure, to have all the functionality you need on a tablet, but it should probably be avoided for now. Or maybe it'll function well as long as the tablet is used only as a PDF reader and not as a tablet?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #162
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Another thing to pay attention to is the OS of the tablet, if you're going to buy a tablet to use as a PDF reader. Recently, Google has said that their Android operating system is intended for cellular phones and not for tablet computers.

Android will be updated eventually, I'm sure, to have all the functionality you need on a tablet, but it should probably be avoided for now. Or maybe it'll function well as long as the tablet is used only as a PDF reader and not as a tablet?
Android 3.0 honeycomb is purpose built for tablets such as the upcoming motorola xoom. It has some interesting new features for this form factor
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #163
Buzzardo

Quote:

Android isn't a good OS for tablets at present, but wait just a bit.

From this article (and many more like it if you're inclined to Google around a bit), one sees the following (long and awkward) headline:

"Google Says Honeycomb is a Tablet OS [Google Source Says Android 3.0 Honeycomb is Meant for Tablets; Might Not Likely Be Available for Smartphones]"

It happens that, 'mongst my many other sins, I'm an Android developer, and I can report that the Android community very much looks forward to a version of Android customized for tablets. All the Android developers I know have applications just a-waitin' for a decent tablet (10-inch form factor and decent resolution and battery life).
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #164
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
It happens that, 'mongst my many other sins, I'm an Android developer, and I can report that the Android community very much looks forward to a version of Android customized for tablets. All the Android developers I know have applications just a-waitin' for a decent tablet (10-inch form factor and decent resolution and battery life).
Yeah, I'm not surprised by this. It makes sense to expand the Android OS functionality to also cover tablets. And probably full-scale computers too, in the long run.

Also from a market share perspective. Linux is scary. Most people probably aren't even sure if it has got some kind of windows in it. But if people gradually learn to use Android on their cellular phones (and tablets), they'll get used to it, so maybe in 2015 or so, lots of people will use Android as the OS on their desktop computers?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #165
Peter Knutsen
Banned

The Kindle DX is 1280 x 825 pixels. That's an aspect ratio of close to 1.45, rather far from the ideal 1.3, but still better than my 800x1280 laptop turned 90 degrees (1.6!!) which was ungood to use. English Wikipedia also says that Amazon claims that the DX is intended for reading textbooks (and newspapers).

How good is the Kindle DX at displaying PDFs?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #166
finn

The NoteSlate coming in June looks interesting.

http://www.noteslate.com/

The resolution is not high (750x1080pixels with no sub-pixel rendering), and the PDF compatibility might also be low (I'm not too sure what "*.PDF text viewer (just bitmap mode)" is suppose to mean), but the price (99$) and size (A4) is great!

Even if NoteSlate doesn't cut it, the age of A4 eInk slates suitable for GURPS readings might not be too far.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #167
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
NoteSlate
Quote:
750x1080
I calculate an aspect ratio of 1.44. That's not ideal, but given the price, this might end up being very, very interesting in spite of that.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #168
demonsbane

Quote:
The NoteSlate coming in June looks interesting. (. . .)
Yes, I agree. We'll see.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #169
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
I calculate an aspect ratio of 1.44. That's not ideal, but given the price, this might end up being very, very interesting in spite of that.
An A4 page (210*297mm) has an aspect ratio of 1.41.

North American Letter size (216*279mm) has a ratio of 1.29.

Of those two I prefer A4.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #170
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
An A4 page (210*297mm) has an aspect ratio of 1.41.

North American Letter size (216*279mm) has a ratio of 1.29.

Of those two I prefer A4.
Thanks for doing that work for me.

So Letter is more square than A4? Or what? In that case, I'm with you. I prefer a more elongated page. Even with A4 in portrait mode, I'm kinda tempted to divide into 2 columns layout-wise, for maximum readability, or 3 columns if in landscape. With the width being largely the same, though, it boils down to the page height; with a longer page (A4) you have to turn pages less frequently.

Either way, in terms of purchasing RPG products, we must adapt to whatever the major publishers use. And what do they use? Do SJ Games use Letter format? What does Atlas Games use for their paper-to-PDF conversions?

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf