Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #1
DoctorRomulus

Default GURPS circa 1985 !!!

Dusted off my 1st edition of GURPS boxed set just out of nostalgia.

Thought of running something in it.
Had some house rules for starship building back in the day, don't know where they are, but think I can scrounge them up.

Point is,
and this is a question for the ancient ones here like me.

Have you ever for the sake of fun, dusted off the this edition or another edition of GURPS just for fun.

Seems it was much easier to set up and run then this current edition.

THOUGHTS???

GURPS IS..."undead-cyborg-undead-dragon-cyborg-riders... and their werewolf allies carrying plasma rifles while riding in aircars"
DoctorRomulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #2
mook

Default Re: GURPS circa 1985 !!!

Hmm, I think it's at least debatable whether earlier editions are "easier to set up and run," but if they are, is it because there's less to them? 4th Edition seems to me the most comprehensive of all the editions, with every core mechanic getting at least an overview within the Basic Set. Previous editions might seem simpler because they don't cover the same amount.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRomulus View Post
Have you ever for the sake of fun, dusted off the this edition or another edition of GURPS just for fun.
?
Not long ago I took the last chance to finish off my Gurps Traveller collection (in pdf format least) and this of course was for 3e. That lead to 3e Psionics (which was much simpler) and vehicle-building systems that were far higher resolution than Spaceships and ranged combat rules that I liked better and so on.

What I didn't like better were corebook chargen and layout, 3e Martial Arts or the 3e Tech books generally.

It's been a while since my last Gurps Space game and it was before we had any 4e Tech books much less Spaceships and it used 4e chargen but 3e Psionics and vehicles and it worked fine.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Alden Loveshade

I've run all four editions, although the 1st I ran after having run 2nd - 4th (I was lucky enough to get hold of GURPS 1st edition online for less than the price of the king's jewels.)

The easiest editions for me to run for the first time were 1st and 3rd. But I think that's because I had run other editions before I ran those. I'd run 2nd and 3rd before I ran 4th, but it was more of an adjustment as it had more changes to the system than the others had.

Even though I now run and play 4th almost exclusively, I still sometimes find myself thinking things like, "Say, if my effective skill is 25 or higher, it's an automatic success--no wait; that was 2nd edition."

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 05-24-2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: better adjective
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
Drop Bear

My group never successfully made the jump to 4th, we tried but it never took, mostly because GURPS has bean a 2ndry game system for us through much of our gaming life. so we never really stopped using 3rd (when we use Gurps for more than research)with the occasional 2nd or 1st source book.

But mortally because my revised 3rd and companions are out on lone I've dug out my battered (but still in fair condition) orignal 3rd ed for a project that isn't just research for an other game, around half way through the first character I didn't need to reference the book for Adds & Dads and the commonly used skills difficultys or for points costs skills.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
Erling

I started playing GURPS during 4th edition age, but I have 3rd edition Basic Set and Compendiums anyway. I like some rules from 3rd more than their 4th edition counterparts, hence I use them as house rules.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #7
aesir23

I started with 3e, back in 1993 (before the Compendia!), but I'd never go back. 4e is simply better in every single way.

The only argument I can see for earlier editions is that some great books haven't been updated (Cliffhangers, Voodoo, Swashbucklers, Faerie) but those books are still useful for a savy enough 4e GM.

That said, I did buy an OSRIC clone to play some 1st edition D&D with some buddies on a camping trip. But's different. Practically a board game.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote