Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Dwarf99

Default Will of the Gods, Help with Serendipity

ok so I was looking at about 3 million points spent on serendipity (with wishing) and I came up to that little annoying part where it says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Page 83
one fortuitous but plausible coincidence per game session...
...the GM may rule that a single implausible coincidence counts as some or all of your lucky breaks for a given session
so what I was wondering is, how big of a modifier do I need to make it where the wishes never need to be plausible
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Kawaii_Koneko

Default Re: Will of the Gods, Help with Serendipity

well with most advantages 300% seams to be wow it can do that as far as cosmic goes also snatcher has Permanent that is 300% sooo maybe around that cost
Kawaii_Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Dwarf99

that's what I had originally thought but the affliction for temporal stasis is more like a thousand...
Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Goober4473

Cosmic for things other than attacks and defenses costs +50%: "Your ability is not subject to the usual built-in restrictions."

That should do the trick.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Dwarf99

I don't know... logically that sounds all nice, but I think before I even consider it I'd rather get the great one's advice...
Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Kawaii_Koneko

well if you can use it to trip over a ring of greater wish and wish away your peoblem your having i think that should cost more then just 50% and like i ponted out for snatcher there is a 300% mod for it that is not a combat related one so it comes to what do you think can keep it under control +300%means it will cost 60 points for a level
Kawaii_Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
ok so I was looking at about 3 million points spent on serendipity (with wishing) and I came up to that little annoying part where it says
Quote:
one fortuitous but plausible coincidence per game session...
...the GM may rule that a single implausible coincidence counts as some or all of your lucky breaks for a given session
so what I was wondering is, how big of a modifier do I need to make it where the wishes never need to be plausible
As big as the GM of the campaign says it has to be, if he allows it at all. (I doubt I would, if I were the GM.)

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Mgellis

This could come in three levels...

Normal serendipity involves plausible events. If you're in jail, a guard might drop his keys, allowing you to escape. With Wishing, for self or others, +100%, this is 30 points per level.

Cosmic, Implausible events, +300% = You're in jail and the guard decides to give you his keys so you can escape. Somehow, he knows you are innocent and that you deserve his help. With Wishing, for self or others, +100%, this is 75 points per level.

Cosmic, Miraculous events, +1000% = In a world without werewolves, a werewolf bursts into the jail, eats the guard, and then gives you the guard's keys. Oh, and he's singing Aerosmith tunes while he does it. With Wishing, for self or others, +100%, this is 180 points per level.

If you were building a moderately powerful god, I'd say 100 levels (i.e., 100 uses per game session) of the third type should be enough to take care of most problems. Well below your budget of 3,000,000 points. :)

No, I don't think it's a very suitable advantage for most player characters. Why do you ask? :)

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
transmetahuman

"Plausible" doesn't mean "likely". I think you can get an awful lot of mileage out of plausible serendipitous events before having to worry about Cosmic. JMO.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
This could come in three levels...

Normal serendipity involves plausible events. If you're in jail, a guard might drop his keys, allowing you to escape. With Wishing, for self or others, +100%, this is 30 points per level.

Cosmic, Implausible events, +300% = You're in jail and the guard decides to give you his keys so you can escape. Somehow, he knows you are innocent and that you deserve his help. With Wishing, for self or others, +100%, this is 75 points per level.

Cosmic, Miraculous events, +1000% = In a world without werewolves, a werewolf bursts into the jail, eats the guard, and then gives you the guard's keys. Oh, and he's singing Aerosmith tunes while he does it. With Wishing, for self or others, +100%, this is 180 points per level.

If you were building a moderately powerful god, I'd say 100 levels (i.e., 100 uses per game session) of the third type should be enough to take care of most problems. Well below your budget of 3,000,000 points. :)

No, I don't think it's a very suitable advantage for most player characters. Why do you ask? :)

I hope this helps.

Mark
that's exactly what I'm looking for but I'm going to have to redo my math, what I was looking for the cost of doing it once every second of every day(game time), which is way more something like 18 mil but that's before the mods listed above...

anyway I'm technically neither player or GM in this instance I'm doing it for mere curiosity I won't use it in my game per se, none of my players will get that high, but they might talk to someone who is that high.

Last edited by Dwarf99; 06-18-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Tags
gods, plausible, serendipity