Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Dammann

Default GURPS & Paizo

On his blog, Douglas Cole describes his foray into Pathfinder from a player's perspective. Toward the end of the post, he mentions that it would be nice to see Golarion translated into GURPS, but that this is unlikely to happen.

It got me curious. What are the good reasons he alludes to? Is it a matter of licensing costs? It seems to me like those should scale with a company's customer base, but I know nothing about publishing. Is it a matter of protection against competition? It seems like GURPS is no threat to Paizo, and cross fertilization would actually be beneficial to both companies, encouraging GURPS customers to buy more low-crunch Paizo products, while some Paizo enthusiasts would try and perhaps buy GURPS. Is it a lack of interest or manpower for developing less profitable properties? Is experience with past licenses so adverse that new licenses, even those from within the hobby, cannot be contemplated?

I am just curious. On the face of it, I would think this was a win-win scenario, with benefits for both companies, as well as players. I am sure that I am underestimating some obstacle, or overestimating some benefit, but I wondered what the people at SJG judge them to be. I've found in my own business (food) that there are potential synergies between competitors. There is a point beyond which we are competing for finite customers, but it seems to me like table top games have some room for growth, with new customers being brought into the hobby.