Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
CarnivorouSwarm

Default Clerics and Resurrection

Clerics allow you to take cards from the discard pile rather than drawing a face up card, "when it is time for you to draw cards face-up" Does this include kicking open the door?

As a cleric, could I resurrect a dead monster (assuming it's on the top of the doors discard pile) on my turn rather than kick open the door?

Also, is a resurrected monster considered Undead? (Meaning a cleric can use Turning against it to get additional bonuses)
CarnivorouSwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Clerics and Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivorouSwarm View Post
Clerics allow you to take cards from the discard pile rather than drawing a face up card, "when it is time for you to draw cards face-up" Does this include kicking open the door?
That's the most frequent face-up draw in the game, in my experience. It's certainly legal to use Ressurection there.

Quote:
As a cleric, could I resurrect a dead monster (assuming it's on the top of the doors discard pile) on my turn rather than kick open the door?
Yes.
Quote:
Also, is a resurrected monster considered Undead? (Meaning a cleric can use Turning against it to get additional bonuses)
Unless there's been a change to the Cleric card recently, I'm not sure why you'd assume this. Even if there has been a change to that effect you should still do whatever Cleric says.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
CarnivorouSwarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Unless there's been a change to the Cleric card recently, I'm not sure why you'd assume this. Even if there has been a change to that effect you should still do whatever Cleric says.
I assumed/am asking because there's other cards in the deck that "resurrect" dead/discarded monsters and tells you to consider them Undead for all intents and purposes. Since they are still being "resurrected" although by a different means, that would leave me to believe they're to be considered Undead. The Cleric card obviously doesn't say anything specific about this.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I assumed/am asking because there's other cards in the deck that "resurrect" dead/discarded monsters and tells you to consider them Undead for all intents and purposes. Since they are still being "resurrected" although by a different means, that would leave me to believe they're to be considered Undead. The Cleric card obviously doesn't say anything specific about this.
Unless the card says "and the monster is now considered Undead" or words to that effect, then it doesn't make the Monster Undead. If you really need a narrative explanation, then imagine that the Cleric is casting Raise Dead or similar.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Just because one card does something specific, that doesn't mean that all cards which do something similar do it exactly the same way.

However, let's look at Curse! Clerical Error, the only card I can find that does what you say "other cards" do. The word used on the card is "re-animated," not resurrected. It also comes from Munchkin 3:Clerical Errors, which means that it definitely came after the Cleric was introduced. Given that, if the Cleric's resurrection ability had been intended to create an Undead Monster in just one of several situations that would occur when the ability is used, it would have to say it for it to have ever be true.

Short answer: The cards do exactly what they say, and unless there is a specific rule for a type of card (e.g., one-shot Items), one should not assume a general behavior for all cards which seem similar.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
CarnivorouSwarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Just because one card does something specific, that doesn't mean that all cards which do something similar do it exactly the same way.

However, let's look at Curse! Clerical Error, the only card I can find that does what you say "other cards" do. The word used on the card is "re-animated," not resurrected. It also comes from Munchkin 3:Clerical Errors, which means that it definitely came after the Cleric was introduced. Given that, if the Cleric's resurrection ability had been intended to create an Undead Monster in just one of several situations that would occur when the ability is used, it would have to say it for it to have ever be true.
Fair enough, thanks for the help. My mistake, must have misremembered the wording on Curse! Clerical Error to begin with, and I'll keep that bit on card specifics in mind.

Tags
cleric, discards, monsters, resurrection, turning