Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
Bruno

Default Re: [Divine Favor] Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Yes. Obviously there's no point in using high levels of Malediction when you do; stick to Malediction 1.
This would be effectively just a range cap and an elimination of range penalties inside your Reach, yes? I don't see this turning it into a "normal" to hit/active defense situation. Would you be able to combine this with the melee options for things like All Out Attack: Determined?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This would be effectively just a range cap and an elimination of range penalties inside your Reach, yes? I don't see this turning it into a "normal" to hit/active defense situation. Would you be able to combine this with the melee options for things like All Out Attack: Determined?
Melee+Malediction is how you made attacks that must touch the subject, and the subject get a chance to resist. Imagine a monster that has an attack that deals no damage, but if hits, forces a save vs paralysis. You would build it with melee Attack and Malediction. Sequence is Attack-Defense-Quick Contest.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Melee+Malediction is how you made attacks that must touch the subject, and the subject get a chance to resist. Imagine a monster that has an attack that deals no damage, but if hits, forces a save vs paralysis. You would build it with melee Attack and Malediction. Sequence is Attack-Defense-Quick Contest.
What Antoni said. See many of the builds in Psionic Powers, such as Mental Blow, for examples.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Quote:
What Antoni said. See many of the builds in Psionic Powers, such as Mental Blow, for examples.
Ta much both, I'll go do that :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #25
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Personally, I think that in this case, Melee Attack should get a bigger modifier. An innate Attack with Malediction and Melee Attack for example still needs to hit (as per melee Attack) and trades rolling damage against DR vs rolling Will vs HT as the way to do damage.

Of course, part of the issue is how Malediction interacts with Affliction. For Affliction, Maledictions replaces the Attack roll and the Resistance roll. Melee Attack returns the Attack Roll part. Personally, I think that for Malediction to be combined with Melee Attack (but not with Melee Attack+Aura), you should first return the attack roll to the attack, via Weaponized, and then pile Melee Attack on top of that. Still, Affliction cost is screwy anyway, specially when you can often get cheaper results via Side Effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Ta much both, I'll go do that :)
Glad to help, and you know, next time you have a rules issue, you know how to contact me xD
My stuff on e23
Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #26
PK

Quote:
Still, Affliction cost is screwy anyway, specially when you can often get cheaper results via Side Effect.
Sometimes, yes, but it's important to note that Side Effect can't be combined with most penetration modifiers, including Malediction -- so there are many, many builds for which it isn't an appropriate approach.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #27
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Sometimes, yes, but it's important to note that Side Effect can't be combined with most penetration modifiers, including Malediction -- so there are many, many builds for which it isn't an appropriate approach.
Thing is, from a munchkin point of view, anything that can be applied via Side Effect is better applied with a small piercing no wounding attack, than with Affliction. For the rest, if the modifiers are over 0%, toss malediction, if they're under 0%, buy as many levels as you can. It's certainly screwy.
My stuff on e23
Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #28
PK

Quote:
Thing is, from a munchkin point of view, anything that can be applied via Side Effect is better applied with a small piercing no wounding attack, than with Affliction. For the rest, if the modifiers are over 0%, toss malediction, if they're under 0%, buy as many levels as you can. It's certainly screwy.
I disagree.

Abe has Affliction 1 (Malediction 2, +150%; Unconsciousness, +200%) [45]. For the same cost, Bob has Small Piercing Attack 5d (No Wounding, -50%; Side Effect, Unconsciousness, +250%) [45].

They both want to knock out a soldier wearing DR 20 armor. Abe rolls against his Will (let's say 12) and succeeds by 2. Now the soldier must roll against HT-2 or pass out.

Bob rolls to attack the soldier. The soldier may dodge. If he fails to dodge, he's hit by the attack. Bob cannot penetrate the vest with an average damage roll; he has to roll at least 21+ to have any effect at all. So not only is Bob likely to have no effect at all, his odds of knocking out the guard are less than Abe's, both because it's harder for him to roll enough damage and because the guard has a chance of dodging the attack to begin with.

Tags
divine favor, resurrection