Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Synchronizing shots between squad members

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesus View Post
So still not by RAW...
What do you mean who's GM? One guy. Maybe he's reading this right now :)

I think we just found some sort of solution actually. I guess.
"If you follow an Aim maneuver with an Attack or All-Out Attack with the same weapon against the same target, you get a bonus to hit."
"WAIT
Do nothing unless a particular event you specified in advance occurs before your next turn; e.g., a foe moves into range. If that happens, you may transform your Wait into an Attack, Feint, All-Out Attack (you must specify the option before acting), or Ready maneuver."
So it looks like if we take Wait after few turns of Aim, we have an Aim followed by Attack (if trigger occurs). So... since Aim is followed by Attack, it's bonus is retained. I guess.
Turns:
1. Aim
2. Aim
3. Aim. Here comes command: "Get ready".
4. Wait (trigger: command "attack"; action: Attack). Here comes command: "attack" which triggers Wait. So 4-th maneuver become Attack and thus 3-rd maneuver is followed by Attack.

Is this by RAW?
If your GM doesn't allow a wait to retain aim bonuses against a particular target, as opposed to a hex, because it isn't explicit in RAW, there is another convoluted way to do it by RAW.

Turn
1. Command: "Aim"
2. Aim
3. Aim
4. Shooters Aim and report "Ready" as a free action. Leader Waits until last shooter reports "Ready" and gives command "Fire"
5. Shooters All Out Attack determined.

But for simplicity's sake, just letting a Wait retain the bonus of an Aim is the best way to go, and there is support for that interpretation in the rules for covering a hex.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

As has been said, p. B390 explicitly allows Wait to double as Aim on point targets, and Wait has a built-in trigger clause that doesn't exclude "I act when I receive an order." All of that is in the rules.

That said, why would you use tactical combat for this at all? It's a surprise attack. Ambushes don't need turnwise resolution with manuevers. You just say "We all attack on his order!" and leave it at that.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
If your team has a means of telecommunication (ie: the Coordinator is a Telepath or, somewhat more mundanely, they have walkie-talkies or bluetooth-enabled phones), and all 3 snipers are Waiting for the same fire command, I see no reason why the attacks couldn't be (in GURPS terms) simultaneous.
I also see no reason why, if the team drills the procedure extensively, it can't be made into a non-levelled Perk that gives a reasonable bonus to any rolls to avoid timing mishaps in such a situation.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Technological solution --

Back in the late 1980s some US company had a gadget. Each sniper rifle had a transmitter-receiver solenoid interposed between the trigger and the rifle's action. A team of up to six snipers could line up on their targets & squeeze the triggers. Only when all six triggers were pulled would the six rifles fire. IIRC the maker claimed the shots would all go off within one-twentieth of a second. The variability had more to do with the rifles' varying lock time than the system.

Or -- just have all snipers on radio. Let the commander say, "Four, three, two, one, shoot!" Should be within about 1/5th second.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
As has been said, p. B390 explicitly allows Wait to double as Aim on point targets, and Wait has a built-in trigger clause that doesn't exclude "I act when I receive an order." All of that is in the rules.
I suspect the confusion is that B390 is mostly discussing "watched hexes" awaiting the appearance of a target who isn't there yet. It's reasonable to extend the 1 hex version to a target creature already in view, but I understand thinking that doesn't fall under "Opportunity Fire", as 1-hex areas and point targets are not usually treated as synonymous in GURPS.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

That said, why would you use tactical combat for this at all? It's a surprise attack. Ambushes don't need turnwise resolution with manuevers. You just say "We all attack on his order!" and leave it at that.
Yes, going into tactical combat rounds tips off the enemy you are trying to surprise... ;)
Well, in Order of the Stick it would have. "Nothing is happening, yet I still have to choose Do Nothing each second!"
Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
whswhs

This is the sort of thing where I'd ask for a Leadership roll. Whoever is acting as leader of the fire team can get exact coordination on a success, but not on a failure. You could also apply a Gesture roll, but I think if someone has Leadership skill a separate Gesture roll would be redundant; this is going to be one of the things where a good leader will have made the gestures routine long ago.

Since the intent is to gain effective surprise on the targets, you might also review the surprise rules in the Basic Set.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

This is the sort of thing where I'd ask for a Leadership roll.
That is what I do in my campaign. People can attempt this without a leader, but then each person has to make a Per or Per-based Soldier roll (similar to the "Target Discrimination" roll on p. B390), with failure meaning a late shot. A single Leadership roll waives all those rolls and ensures simultaneous fire. All this is at the resolution of GURPS – meaning "within one second" if it works or "with a delay of up to a second" if it doesn't.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
gesus

So... Is it Aim + Wait for command or is it Leadership / Perception roll?
gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

As stated above, Aim + Wait is RAW.

The bit about Perception/Leadership is more of a GM ruling (e.g. if the command is too quiet and the background noise is loud, but that's just one possibility out of many).

Tags
aim, turn sequence, wait