Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Plane

Default "doesn't need to blink" perk?

Aside from the RP aspect of winning all staring contests, I'm wondering what kind of mechanical advantages might result from having eyes that moisturize without needing to close eyelids and briefly obstruct vision.

This is the type of thing we glaze over, and it'd probably be rare where it would matter (like Weeping Angels mockups) but I could see some small advantage to it...

Perhaps someone who opts to not blink should eventually suffer penalties to vision rolls due to progressive dry-eye which can be cured by blinking, but on any second you opt to blink as a free action you are an extra -1 to vision rolls?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: "doesn't need to blink" perk?

If blinking obstructs your vision you should probably see your doctor. The only stat I would use to represent this trait in an otherwise-human-looking character would be Unnatural Feature (Never Blinks) [-1].
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Aside from the RP aspect of winning all staring contests, I'm wondering what kind of mechanical advantages might result from having eyes that moisturize without needing to close eyelids and briefly obstruct vision.

This is the type of thing we glaze over, and it'd probably be rare where it would matter (like Weeping Angels mockups) but I could see some small advantage to it...

Perhaps someone who opts to not blink should eventually suffer penalties to vision rolls due to progressive dry-eye which can be cured by blinking, but on any second you opt to blink as a free action you are an extra -1 to vision rolls?
When you start to wonder the mechanics of blinking, it's time to take a moment and remember that GURPS is a game, not a reality simulator. If you have too many rules, it'll bog down gameplay till it slows to a complete stop.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Google tells me average time between blinks is around 6 s (2-10), while blink duration is about 125 ms. In other words, 2% less incoming light. You're only going to miss events that take less than 125 ms to occur (total, start to finish). Long enough to affect reaction time (at the bottom end), but hardly seems worth worrying about.

If you want to give some creation better defenses or a Feint bonus or enemy defense penalty thanks to their unimpeded reaction time, then just buy Enhanced Dodge or +1 DX for weapon attacks or give them a Perk for whatever effects you imagine this micro-advantage would have over a baseline human. You can collect several into a meta-trait if you like, to make it clear it's a package deal and a result of physiology.

But I'd start by defining the game-mechanical effects and then buying those, unless you find one without an existing price or way to build it. Paying for a trait like "Doesn't Blink" without a definition seems like an invitation to table arguments about exactly what mechanical benefits someone imagines that feature would have. So just define the mechanics up front and price from that.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
If blinking obstructs your vision you should probably see your doctor. The only stat I would use to represent this trait in an otherwise-human-looking character would be Unnatural Feature (Never Blinks) [-1].
I'm talking about someone who doesn't need to blink to avoid the negative effects of not blinking (however one represents that... eyes eventually dry up and begin to water, obstructing vision) not someone who can't shut their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
When you start to wonder the mechanics of blinking, it's time to take a moment and remember that GURPS is a game, not a reality simulator. If you have too many rules, it'll bog down gameplay till it slows to a complete stop.
It'd be interesting to know for situations where it might come up, like for example if you had an ability which required maintaining eye contact to keep up an effect or to prepare an effect.

Vision-Based, Reversed (part of Sight-Based) if combined with Takes Extra Time or Immediate Preparation Required, for example. That's going to be a problem if giving in to the compulsion to blink causes you to lose your accrued prep time and start from zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Google tells me average time between blinks is around 6 s (2-10),
while blink duration is about 125 ms.
In other words, 2% less incoming light.
You're only going to miss events that take less than 125 ms to occur (total, start to finish).
Long enough to affect reaction time (at the bottom end), but hardly seems worth worrying about.
Having vision compromised for ⅛ a second could matter against a speedster w/ Altered Time Rate 7 [700]...

or even Altered Time Rate 3 [300] if you're someone with Decreased Time Rate [-100].

Or maybe even some non-ATR w/ Extra Attack 2 (Multi-Strike) using AOA:Double?

Quote:
If you want to give some creation better defenses or a Feint bonus or enemy defense penalty thanks to their unimpeded reaction time, then just buy Enhanced Dodge or +1 DX for weapon attacks or give them a Perk for whatever effects you imagine this micro-advantage would have over a baseline human.
It wouldn't be an advantage against invisible foes, nor make you more agile for landing/evading hits

Quote:
But I'd start by defining the game-mechanical effects and then buying those, unless you find one without an existing price or way to build it.

Paying for a trait like "Doesn't Blink" without a definition seems like an invitation to table arguments about exactly what mechanical benefits someone imagines that feature would have.

So just define the mechanics up front and price from that.
The issue is sort of that I'd need to figure out baseline mechanics for it to ignore:

1) the effects of not blinking over time (people could make Will rolls to do this to win staring contests, for example, at some point blinking becomes and Uncontrollable action, most likely)
2) the effects of actually blinking in briefly reduced vision as your upper/lower field of view narrows (kine of like Tunnel Vision rotated 09 degrees) with a brief moment (even less than 0.125) of actual blindness with the lid utterly closed
I had heard something about Nictitating Membrane offsetting vision penalties underwater (can't seem to find where though) so if someone is forcing themselves to blink less than necessary the "eyes watering" result could explain some penalties from the droplets.

Come to think of it... what sort of critical failure am I rolling on a weekly basis when I get an eyelash in there? That could compromise your effectiveness in battle if it happens at an inopportune moment, especially if you don't have clean hands and a mirror to get it out, which I think we may take for granted in a civilized world.

Maybe we all have Unluckiness (Game Time +0%) [-10] built in to explain at least one thing going wrong per week? Seems reasonable. GMs can multiply that by up to 7 to causes daily problems...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
I had heard something about Nictitating Membrane offsetting vision penalties underwater (can't seem to find where though)
Sentence 2 of the description of Nictitating Membrane in Basic.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

'Staring contests' aside, this mostly seems relevant if your game involves Weeping Angels or similar horror entities that somehow exploit blinking.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:51 PM   #8
Tomsdad

Quote:

Having vision compromised for ⅛ a second could matter against a speedster w/ Altered Time Rate 7 [700]...

or even Altered Time Rate 3 [300] if you're someone with Decreased Time Rate [-100].

Or maybe even some non-ATR w/ Extra Attack 2 (Multi-Strike) using AOA:Double?
two ways you could rule for these without needing a new rule

For the first two blinking is also done at that changed scale. (The anatomical reality of these traits is really a can of worms of you don't make some gameable allowances for them)

The third could be covered by the attacker briefly suppressing their blink response during that attack chain.

EDIT sorry I misread your post entirely I was thinking of the speedster and the multi attacker blinking, not their targets! (although I say the game mechanics regarding their increased ability already includes the negative effects of defending against them)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-25-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:42 AM   #9
Toptomcat

This is a perk-level-to-five-point Unusual Background for a rather cheap Immunity in a Dr. Who or SCP game and a zero-point feature with no game-mechanical effect elsewhere. Even Unnatural Feature seems like an enormous stretch to me- it is *not* going to put people off enough to justify a -1 to reaction rolls, it will be a highly unusual person who even notices. Maybe you could justify a five-point Odious Personal Habit (Deliberately draws attention to the fact that he doesn't need to blink).
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:55 AM   #10
Jariel

According to Horror pg.26 Cannot Close Eyes is a -5 point Supernatural Feature. For an advantage version you could just call it a form of Nictitating Membrane.
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote