Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
phiwum

Default Physicker and poison

Does the physicker skill reduce damage from poisons? Not clear to me if these are "wounds".

Thanks.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Terquem

Default Re: Physicker and poison

As the GM, I would rule yes - and I would say this because the words "wounds" and "damage" are not specifically defined in the list of terms, therefore the GM should be able to determine what wounds and damage are for their game. Specifically sighting that the concept of "damage" is itself nebulous and a game element that should, in my opinion, be flexible.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
MikMod

Physiker is good, but I'd like to see naturalist talents or even alchemy depending on the kind of poison.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:47 AM   #4
JimmyPlenty

I certainly agree with naturalist and alchemy involved.

Proposal-ish

Treating with physicker or naturist roll 4/IQ or with alchemy at 3/IQ. Success stops lingering effects and is only way to recover ST from poison other than rest or magical healing.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
hcobb

Note that if you get stung a dozen times in one combat all your Master Physickers can heal is three points total, so don't leave home without a goblin witch if you want to live.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Does the physicker skill reduce damage from poisons? Not clear to me if these are "wounds".
I like to allow it. I figure if a human body's been mistreated it's almost always better off if it gets competent first aid than if it doesn't, regardless of the exact nature of the mistreatment.

I'd probably allow a Chemist to act as a Physicker for this purpose, or a Physicker+Chemist to act as a Master Physicker. I'd allow a Naturalist to forage for local flora to partially substitute for a physicker's kit but I wouldn't give a bonus above having a physicker's kit.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'd allow it, but there's a pretty big scope for poisons. See the Hexagram #5 article on the subject, it adds a more tiered system of treatments than just Universal Antidote. I would suspect that physickers could probably create some of the Antitoxins, and naturalists could make or harvest a good number of the Antivenoms. But regardless I'd say that part of a physicker's remit is dealing with toxins and thus they should be able to alleviate their effects at least in part.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
phiwum

I find it somewhat interesting that a lot of folks have suggested Naturalist talent could play a role in either producing antivenin or healing poison damage.

I guess I'd see the latter somewhat plausible when it comes to snake bites, but not for, say, the effects of a simple poison bomb (even though it comes from snake venom). Sucking poison out of a wound is something a naturalist can do. That's a pretty good idea.

Not sure how antivenin works, but if it takes a chemist to make a poison, I'd lean to having a chemist making antivenin.

Anyway, lots of good and interesting replies. For now, I'll accept that Physicker can heal two points of poison damage (which is how I played it when it came up anyway). I'll think about how skills like naturalist or chemist (or alchemist) might help too.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
Shadekeep

I was thinking that Naturalists might not just have insight into harvesting antivenoms, but also know some natural palliatives for certain kinds of poisons. Like antivenoms these would be highly specific to the poison's source, but in game terms could be generalised as a difficult roll (4/IQ or even 5/IQ) for the Naturalist.

As for Physickers, I think they should be able to slow or halt multi-turn poisons, if such things occur in your campaign settings. The TFT system is more geared towards immediate combat effects, but one can imagine a slow-acting poison that does a small amount of damage every turn for a number of turns. Physickers should be able to counter this effect to some degree.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
tcr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I'd allow it, but there's a pretty big scope for poisons. See the Hexagram #5 article on the subject, it adds a more tiered system of treatments than just Universal Antidote. I would suspect that physickers could probably create some of the Antitoxins, and naturalists could make or harvest a good number of the Antivenoms. But regardless I'd say that part of a physicker's remit is dealing with toxins and thus they should be able to alleviate their effects at least in part.
I was just looking at this article and noticed the mention of "giant mellipheon hive insects," which, I guess, makes "Hive of the Mellipheon" canon.
tcr25 is offline   Reply With Quote