Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Parrying Heavy Weapons

Exploits Page 49 gives us, "A weapon parrying three times its weight has a 2 in 6 chance of breaking: 1 breaks on a role of 1 or 2 on a 1d. ...Weapon quality modifies the odd: +2 for a cheap weapon, -1 for fine, and -2 for very fine."

Took me many readings to understand this, but I believe this statement says that a very fine weapon has no chance of breaking it it parries at 3 times its weight, whereas a cheap weapon has 66.6% (4 in 6) chance of breaking under the same circumstances.

EDIT: I find myself confused again on "What am I parrying?" It reads, "You can parry thrown weapons. Roll at -2 for weapons that weight a pound or less, or -1 for heavier."

I thought penalties to skills were bad. So it's harder to parry light weapons?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
tbone

Default Re: Parrying Heavy Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
EDIT: I find myself confused again on "What am I parrying?" It reads, "You can parry thrown weapons. Roll at -2 for weapons that weight a pound or less, or -1 for heavier."
I think "light" here is just a stand-in for "small". My understanding of the rule is "Parrying a thrown weapon is inherently a bit difficult (-1), more difficult if the weapon is small and thus hard to 'hit' with the Parry (-2)".

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Parrying Heavy Weapons

Assuming it's not so heavy that you can't stop it, smaller weapons are harder to knock aside.