Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Not

Default Rolls 12 on Heroic Grace, now what?

A holy warrior with 2 levels of Heroic Grace adds 12 to DX. It has the following effects:

+6 to block. Great!

+6 to parry. I can do one or two more parries per turn and eat the penalties. Nice!

+12 to weapon skill. What can I do with this? Target chinks with deceptive attacks I guess.

I can safely attempt a feat of Acrobatics at default. Cool beans.

It does not improve speed or dodge.

What else?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Rolls 12 on Heroic Grace, now what?

A cleric I played used heroic grace to allow for better called shots. Without it, I couldn’t reliable hit the skull with my flaming morning star. With it, I was closer to keeping up with the melee types. Being able to take extra levels of deceptive attack is always good. With +12 it’s nearly a guaranteed hit every turn, even against a high-defense foe.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
Imbicatus

+12 to weapon skill is enough to deceptive attack whatever hit location you want. Eyes are usually better than chinks in armor, as they already aren’t covered By DR unless your opponent is wearing an invisible helmet with no eyeslit, has a magic forcefield, or is a monster with a Nictitating membrane.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
zuljita

You can also soak rapid strike penalties even though they're at -6. That means you can get away with two attacks instead of just one and still enjoy the plus six leftover to either make deceptive attacks or called shots
Old 09-27-2020, 05:03 AM   #5
Anders

You can now sneak like a moderately competent thief.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You can now sneak like a moderately competent thief.
Alas, the Heroic Grace description on p. 26 of Adventurers stipulates that it is reserved for "combat rolls—not for noncombat activities like stealth and picking pockets."
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
+12 to weapon skill is enough to deceptive attack whatever hit location you want. Eyes are usually better than chinks in armor, as they already aren’t covered By DR unless your opponent is wearing an invisible helmet with no eyeslit, has a magic forcefield, or is a monster with a Nictitating membrane.
Building on this: depending on the weapon you wield, target critical locations and layer deceptive attack. Fighting humanoids, using a crushing weapon? Skull (at -7) is a great bet, with Deceptive Attack -3, for a net -13 to skill. Your holy warrior probably already has a 16 or 18 skill to start, so you’re highly likely to hit. Maybe go with Deceptive -4. If you have enough ST to penetrate DR, damage quadruples and any major wound to the head means a HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning at -10 (-7 if the opponent has High Pain Threshold). The neck is easier to hit at -5 and cutting weapons do x2 damage. Face is good for stunning and also is -5. Eyes are an excellent target against things with brains and if you have a piercing or impaling weapon.

Against foes that don’t have brains, and if you think you can inflict enough damage to cripple a limb (-2) or hand (-4), go for that. With even a 16 skill (now 28), you can easily swing for the hand at deceptive -4 (net 16) and still crit-fish. Or the foot, in the hope of making whatever you’re fighting go prone, which is almost always an advantage.

Obviously vitals at deceptive -4 (net 17) or -5 (net 15), assuming a base 16 skill is always good.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:18 AM   #8
ArchonShiva

Against unsuspecting foes, a good feint can tank their defenses so hard they will critically fail it on almost any roll.

You don’t need to bother getting up: you can attack and defend while sitting or lying down... but you can also get up in one turn by making an Acrobatics-6 roll *at default*.