Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Horrific Weakness [Basic]

In Basic, the rates of damage from Weaknesses are not quite horrific enough for the some of creatures in fiction. For example, vampires from VtM would suffer sufficient damage from sunlight that they burn to a crisp in less than a minute in direct sunlight. In order to reflect that level of damage, I suggest the following two modifications to Weakness.

1. Leveled damage: The damage of Weakness increases by 100% per level while the value increases by 50% per level (for example, a vampire could have Weakness (Sunlight; 3d per minute) [-120].

2. Accelerated damage: 1d per 12 seconds would have a base value of [-30] while 1d per two seconds would have a base value of [-40].

3. Combined damage: A vampire who took 3d damage every two seconds from sunlight would have a disadvantage worth -240 CP (and would take 90x as much damage from sunlight for only 4x the disadvantage value).

What do you think, would you use horrific weaknesses in your settings?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

It looks very reasonable. Yeah, I would probably use it.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In Basic, the rates of damage from Weaknesses are not quite horrific enough for the some of creatures in fiction. For example, vampires from VtM would suffer sufficient damage from sunlight that they burn to a crisp in less than a minute in direct sunlight. In order to reflect that level of damage, I suggest the following two modifications to Weakness.

1. Leveled damage: The damage of Weakness increases by 100% per level while the value increases by 50% per level (for example, a vampire could have Weakness (Sunlight; 3d per minute) [-120].

2. Accelerated damage: 1d per 12 seconds would have a base value of [-30] while 1d per two seconds would have a base value of [-40].

3. Combined damage: A vampire who took 3d damage every two seconds from sunlight would have a disadvantage worth -240 CP (and would take 90x as much damage from sunlight for only 4x the disadvantage value).

What do you think, would you use horrific weaknesses in your settings?
I've just used Reduced Time to reduce the amount of time between damage and Vulnerability to multiply the damage. Weakness (Sunlight, 1d/min, Reduced Time 6, +120%) [-132] causes 1d damage per second in sunlight.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
TGLS

Quote:
I'd just stack Vulnerability on top (so a vampire could take Weakness (Sunlight; 1d per Minute) [-60] and Vulnerability (Sunlight x3) [-60], which ends up with the same cost).

Quote:
My pentaphilia would insist on 1d per 10 seconds at -30 and 1d per second at -40.

Stack both for option 3.

I'd also be inclined to offer: "Die on a specifically defined condition outside your control in under a minute" for -100 points. Sure, death can be a motivator, but on the other hand, a sufficiently common suicide trick is a minor advantage.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Vulnerability explicitly multiplies damage from specific types of attacks, not from specific types of sources.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Vulnerability explicitly multiplies damage from specific types of attacks, not from specific types of sources.
Seeing as Vulnerability (Silver) is legal, this can’t possibly be true. I feel Vulnerability is a pretty good match for increasing the effects of a Weakness (particularly as this means vampires suffer extra Injury from a “sunbolt” type attack (tight beam burning Innate attack, specifically typed as mimicking - or utilizing - sunlight)), but as the pricing appears to work out similarly, your version seems fairly valid as well.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Silver can be a type of attack (it is a subset of Metal), but it can also be a source. Vulnerability (Silver) only multiplies damage by silver attacks, Weakness (Silver) causes damage by proximity to a silver source. They do not interact because Weakness is not an attack.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #8
Prince Charon

Quote:
Silver can be a type of attack (it is a subset of Metal), but it can also be a source. Vulnerability (Silver) only multiplies damage by silver attacks, Weakness (Silver) causes damage by proximity to a silver source. They do not interact because Weakness is not an attack.
That depends entirely on how the GM thinks it should work, though. I'd allow it, and it seems that you wouldn't.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
Michele

I don't know. I find it difficult to assess whether the point values are appropriate for that level of kiss-of-death effect, or not. I tend to suspect that it might become too much of an instant effect, especially on beings that are famously hard to get rid of. And if the vampire is clever enough never to even remotely risk being exposed to his kryptonite? He gets a bucketful of points, becoming even more powerful all through the night.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #10
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I don't know. I find it difficult to assess whether the point values are appropriate for that level of kiss-of-death effect, or not. I tend to suspect that it might become too much of an instant effect, especially on beings that are famously hard to get rid of. And if the vampire is clever enough never to even remotely risk being exposed to his kryptonite? He gets a bucketful of points, becoming even more powerful all through the night.
Indeed. To compare, Terminal Illness that kills you within a month is -100 pts, and is more likely to come into effect than a weakness to sunlight that a character would do everything they can to avoid.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pentaphilia