Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #21
BillK

Default Re: Ogre Battlefields on Warehouse 23

Minor Scenario Errata:
RAID with Map S-3:
Special Rules:

The first column of the reinforcements "table" is missing: number each entry 1 through 6.

-------------------

BREAKTHROUGH with Map G-3:
Special Rules:
Does the defender receive these town-infantry on turn 1 also? (I assume not.)

-------------------

THING FROM THE CRYPT
In the two Ogre Scenarios:
Does the defender still get the Vulcan and 2 Drones? (Yes.)
The 3 freely chosen armor units? (No.)
The Radar and the Sensor Net? (Yes.)
The 7 damaged armor units? (Yes.)
The baseline revetment and entrenchments? (No.)
(y/n) = my guesses.

Thanks!

Last edited by BillK; 11-14-2019 at 09:00 PM.
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #22
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Then no one would've been unhappy.
Have you met gamers? Let's face it, we're always complaining about something.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #23
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Are Scenario Books 2 and 3 also one-offs? Several of the scenarios in them require the Designer's Edition counterset.
Yes; especially Scenario Book 2. That was specifically a collection of scenarios from a contest by us designed to go with and showcase ODE (and the new games did not exist at the time of the contest). Additionally, they even state explicitly nothing in the Scenario book is canon:
This book is not to be considered canon for the Ogre universe. Some of these scenarios include rules, units,or timelines that aren’t in full compliance with the official rules of the Ogre Designer’s Edition. That’s all right. Fans created these scenarios, and all our fans are encouraged to make Ogre their own. Sometimes departing from strict canon is a lot of fun!
There's definitely more to defend your position regarding Scenario Book 3, since that was created well after the new base products (Ogre and Reinforcements) were created.
Quote:
Many players have the Designer's Edition/Sponsored Countersheets/Scenario Books: these players are now finding the new products in the Ogre line not matching their previous products. I wish SJGames, having established a standard, had merely kept it. Then no one would've been unhappy.
And many people have _only_ ODE. The reality is ODE was not intended to define a standard; it was a surprise it did as well as it did. It's also unrealistic to expect that no-one will ever be unhappy about something; that's not how the world works. Your displeasure is valid and warranted, simply because you have every right to be upset about something if you'd like (I'm not crazy about the stats of the SHVY or lasers, but my opinion isn't going to change them, either), but keeping things in context might help.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #24
BillK

Ogre Battlefields was at first just intended to include only maps G3 and S3: odd, that choice, if Ogre Designer's Edition was considered a one-off, as Maps G1 and S1 are used far more often in scenarios, but the only maps available till then in the newest Ogre 6th Edition, Ogre Reinforcements line was the Ogre map. (The backprinting of the two maps with G1 and S1 was a stretch goal.)

And I'm not "upset," I'm merely annoyed: I do think I'm looking at it in a even-keel context.

Of course a company can't please everyone, but that doesn't mean a company shouldn't--where possible--do what it can to keep its customers pleased. I mean, how hard would it have been to keep using the same cardboard thickness?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #25
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Ogre Battlefields was at first just intended to include only maps G3 and S3: odd, that choice, if Ogre Designer's Edition was considered a one-off, as Maps G1 and S1 are used far more often in scenarios, but the only maps available till then in the newest Ogre 6th Edition, Ogre Reinforcements line was the Ogre map. (The backprinting of the two maps with G1 and S1 was a stretch goal.)

And I'm not "upset," I'm merely annoyed: I do think I'm looking at it in a even-keel context.

Of course a company can't please everyone, but that doesn't mean a company shouldn't--where possible--do what it can to keep its customers pleased. I mean, how hard would it have been to keep using the same cardboard thickness?
Well, when ODE was created, it's pretty obvious that concessions were made for various reasons. The omission of G3 and S3, for example. I had hoped at the time we would get all the maps, but that wasn't the case; especially assuming ODE was going to be the "final fling" and we'd likely never see them. I'm happy that ended up not being the case (adding Battlefields), but I'm also happy ODE wasn't 38 pounds instead of 28.

Weight was likely another one of the considerations. That thinner cardboard probably saved a not-insignificant amount of weight to an already-insane project. Proportionally, that's a smaller issue in the smaller products; in ODE, that's a big difference.

It is an interesting question, but I don't think it's as simple a question as you imply it to be.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
BillK

I suspect it was just simpler for SJGames to have one thickness of cardboard instead of two. And maybe cheaper.

But that decision has left us with this . . .

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5056...reinforcements
Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #27
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
I suspect it was just simpler for SJGames to have one thickness of cardboard instead of two. And maybe cheaper.

But that decision has left us with this . . .

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5056...reinforcements
That's what I would think, as well; and yes, that's not a trivial amount of difference. Makes me wonder about the thickness of the classic counter set in comparison...
Old 11-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #28
Oldgamer72

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I agree 100%! There should also be more pics. I'll be talking to the team today.
Not to be a pest, I know you guys are incredibly busy with the CW6E KS but the Battlefields description still hasn't been updated.

Thanks!
Oldgamer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:07 AM   #29
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgamer72 View Post
Not to be a pest, I know you guys are incredibly busy with the CW6E KS but the Battlefields description still hasn't been updated.

Thanks!
The team is working as fast and as hard as they can. They're currently enjoying a holiday weekend before they jump into Monday and all of the heavy lifting that will be expected between December 2 and the Christmas break.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #30
Oldgamer72

Thanks, Phil. I know you guys are busy. Just keeping it in the queue.
Oldgamer72 is offline   Reply With Quote