Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
lachimba

Default Making dragons slightly tougher

The dragons in DFRPG (particularly non spell casting ones) seem a little too likely to go down to 10D missile spells, 4D skull hits and the like.

Any particular upgrades out there people recommend?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Making dragons slightly tougher

What sort of fight do you want a fight against a dragon to be? GURPS tends towards fights that are resolved by a small number of decisive hits, but there are a lot of ways you can make dragons more durable if that's what you want. I recommend injury reduction over simple DR increases.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What sort of fight do you want a fight against a dragon to be? .

One in which the Knight doesn't deceptive attack the Dragon to the skull on the first turn roll 20 damage - DR, stun the dragon then proceed to beat down on it while the Scout puts arrows into its eyes for 10-DR damage
Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
One in which the Knight doesn't deceptive attack the Dragon to the skull on the first turn roll 20 damage - DR, stun the dragon then proceed to beat down on it while the Scout puts arrows into its eyes for 10-DR damage
Hm. How experienced are those characters? While DF dragons aren't terribly physically powerful (if I were writing up dragons, I'd go with "pick a size in hexes. ST 5, DR 1 per hex"), that still seems like high damage.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Hm. How experienced are those characters?
Um starting DF Characters?

Knights can easily roll 3d damage + weapon master bonuses with ST 16 plus Striking ST 2. A few of the remaining points into skill covers the penalties.

Charging up spells with 3d to 4d per turn is entirely possible with a starting Wizard.

A Scout with a decent ST and fine arrows can roll 1d+5/6 and run up to the Dragon while its in Stun lock so there is no range penalty.

This is bread and butter DF.

And that's with three PCs, make it six and a couple of henchmen and a small Dragon looks very overmatched.

If thats the way its meant to be I have no complaints I just am looking for alternatives for tougher dragons.

Last edited by lachimba; 05-01-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
And that's with three PCs, make it six and a couple of henchmen and a small Dragon looks very overmatched.
Small Dragons are at a power level of about 1 per PC. DF dragons aren't brute force opponents. Alternate 'boss fight' dragons are not a terrible plan.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
a small Dragon
Do note that medium dragons are cited as an example of a monster which could potentially challenge a (poorly prepared) party of delvers; see the last sentence on Monsters, p. 22. Small dragons can't individually take on batches of delvers; they need to come in groups.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Do note that medium dragons are cited as an example of a monster which could potentially challenge a (poorly prepared) party of delvers; see the last sentence on Monsters, p. 22. Small dragons can't individually take on batches of delvers; they need to come in groups.
Actually looking at my notes I was thinking of a medium dragon, but typed small dragon.

So lets start from there.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Actually looking at my notes I was thinking of a medium dragon, but typed small dragon.

So lets start from there.
GURPS has a long history of having simple brute monsters being not very durable or dangerous. Dragons are apparently expected to make heavy use of cheap tactics.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
Celjabba

Quote:
The dragons in DFRPG (particularly non spell casting ones) seem a little too likely to go down to 10D missile spells, 4D skull hits and the like.

Any particular upgrades out there people recommend?
You said it, non spell casting ones. DFRPG Dragon are more wizard with unusually strong bodies, not just tough fighter, Imho.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg, dragons