Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #51
Aldric

Default Re: [Spaceships] Questions for Open Space

Until you get to nanofacs, that minifac (or factory for that matter) will make feeding those people cheaper, but won't save you any cargo space for food.

But to answer the OP, you won't find anything more than what's written on the book, one open space system feeds the entire ship.
So if you want a "Farm" ship, you can decide it can feed one other ship (of equal size) for each system devoted to Open Space.
You can also decide that a ship full of bunks requires more than one Open Space system to feed all the people it can carry, because that just makes sense, but there is no easy rule on the book. If I had to decide on an exact number, I'd probably go for 1 Open Space System feeds 1 Habitat full of cabins or something like that, and make a note on the "campaign switches" section of my campaign notes, which is actually what I'm going to do right now, leaving it in red because it's not finalized, but just a work in progress idea.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #52
the-red-scare

When David Pulver was directly asked about open spaces in a long ago thread, he said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I've always assumed that the whole "open space providing total life support" thing didn't leave it as an open space with rolling fields of wheat, but converted it into an extensive life support system, with algae, aquaculture, tilapia tanks, fauxflesh vats, etc occupying the entire space.

I suppose that's not really supported by the text, but I don't see how it could provide the life support any other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
That's the only way it would work, yes.
the-red-scare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #53
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-red-scare View Post
When David Pulver was directly asked about open spaces in a long ago thread, he said this:
Then the Open Space Farm will be the similar things to my house-rule Multi-floored Open Space. Thanks.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=36

But then an Open Space Farms will NOT be equivalent of an Open Space Gardens for food supply purpose. Isn't it? I think no gardens will be full of such a devices.

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-27-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #54
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
I made Multi-floored Open Space as my house-rule system.

SM+ 8 : 1 Area, 0.1M$
SM+ 9 : 3 Areas, 0.3M$
SM+10 : 10 Areas, 1M$, 1 Workspace
SM+11 : 30 Areas, 3M$, 3 Workspaces
SM+12 : 100 Areas, 10M$, 10 Workspaces
SM+13 : 300 Areas, 30M$, 30 Workspaces
And so on.

So when I use Multi-floored Open Space system to my Prospector Pioneer Mothership 40 cabins correspond to 6 multi-floored open space areas and it satisfies my setup for the indoor gardens.
(Here is my link to my sheet of Prospector Pioneer Mothership : http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=29)

But there are still unsolved questions remained :

1. Should Open Space Farms be in the Multi-floored Open Space systems? Or should it be in the Single-floored Open Space systems? When Open Space Farms are setted in Single-floored Open Space Systems, the ratio between OSF and the other components in spaceships will go less while spaceships' SM increases.

2. I still wonder the assumption that 100 people occupying 1 Open Space Area (0.05 acre, app. 200m^2) seems be too cramped when really occupied by 100 people. So I setted up that the indoor gardens' (which is set in Multi-floored Open Space) passenger capacity is still 100 (as if the gardens are set in Single-floored Open Space) in my Prospector Pioneer Mothership. Then app. 16-17 people occupy the each floor of 6-floored Indoor Gardens and it seems comfortable.

3. Can passengers occupy Open Space Farms like they occupy the other sorts of Open Space (like Tennis Court, Theater, Concert...) ? When thinking that Gardens yield foodstuffs too RAW, then I think passengers can occupy Farms like they do Gardens, but there is no explicit rules that passengers can occupy (and rest in) Farms or not.
Well, How do you think the question 2?
Old 09-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #55
Aldric

To answer your previous question, a garden is usually much smaller than a farm but if it's aimed at food production won't be much different. I guess if you want them to produce food, they won't also count as an open area where 100 people can congregate or help your luxury passengers.
If you want them to count as open space areas, they'll have some green, but won't feed your ship.

As for multi floor open space areas, since spaceships cares more about systems and mass, and very little about actual mapping, I'd say a single area will most likely have a single floor, multiple areas could be one large area with a single floor or split on multiple floors.

As for the idea of increasing the number of areas in a single system as a house rule, you could do it, and it shouln't break anything too badly, but I think the idea of an Open Space is something with a bit more clearance than your standard cabin or meeting room even at the cost of some wasted space. Helps with the feeling of being stuck in a tin can for months or years

Edit: of course I may have misunderstood, but I think I saw proposed numbers with more areas per system.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #56
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
To answer your previous question, a garden is usually much smaller than a farm but if it's aimed at food production won't be much different. I guess if you want them to produce food, they won't also count as an open area where 100 people can congregate or help your luxury passengers.
If you want them to count as open space areas, they'll have some green, but won't feed your ship.
Well, Just I thought so. Then do you think Open Space Farm is not to congregate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
As for multi floor open space areas, since spaceships cares more about systems and mass, and very little about actual mapping, I'd say a single area will most likely have a single floor, multiple areas could be one large area with a single floor or split on multiple floors.
I meant Multi-floored Open Space has more areas in the same system. not meant 1 areas be multi-floored.

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-28-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #57
Aldric

That's how I would design a ship if I wanted to include farms in it.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #58
Agemegos

When we say that a thing or place is “given over to” one use that usually means that it is not available for other uses.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:56 PM   #59
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
When we say that a thing or place is “given over to” one use that usually means that it is not available for other uses.
What does this reply mean?
Old 09-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #60
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
What does this reply mean?
Open Spaces are single-purpose. If it's intended as recreational space for Luxury passengers it won't grow significant amounts of food. It it's there to grow food then it won't be very attractive to Luxury passengers.