Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
Tyneras

Default Affliction: Alternate Abilities vs Power Techniques

I am in the process of building out a series of powers, and finally nailed down all the modifiers I want. The result is a half a dozen different related afflictions using the method of taking a collection of advantages and/or disadvantages and packaging them together as a single ability (i.e. 4DR, +1 Striking ST, -1 Move as a +20% Stone Power advantage).

Now, my first impulse was to buy them as alternate abilities of each other, but then it occurred to me that Power Techniques are pretty cool and would be a better fit to the concept. Would using the packaging method in any way be disallowed with power techniques?
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Affliction: Alternate Abilities vs Power Techniques

If they're all afflictions, you could just buy one affliction with the Selectivity enhancement. I really should use that more often.
"Someone despises me? That is his concern. But I will see to it that I am not guilty of any word or action deserving contempt, Will he hate me? That is his concern. But I will be kind and well-intentioned to all, and ready to show this very person what he is failing to see - not with any criticism or display of tolerance, but with genuine good will..." Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

If they are a single ability, then they require Selectivity (+10%). Alternative attacks should probably involve modifiers that are not meant to work together (or attack abilities other than Affliction). For example, it would make more thematic sense for a character who could afflict agony or ecstasy to have alternate abilities rather than multiple enhancements in one ability (it is also usually cheaper)?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
johndallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If they're all afflictions, you could just buy one affliction with the Selectivity enhancement. I really should use that more often.
The difficulty with that is that you have to pay for all the enhancements on one ability. Either/Or limitations (Power-Ups 8: limitations, p. 6) are another alternative to Alternate Abilities, and might fit this.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Refplace

Consider using Alternative Enhancements and apply any limitations to specific enhancements instead of the power.
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Consider using Alternative Enhancements and apply any limitations to specific enhancements instead of the power.
This is what I would also suggest, but only if it is cheaper than buying everything as A.A. and they all function similarily, that is to say they all have the same affliction level and range and time. If any of that is different, then use A.A.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
This is what I would also suggest, but only if it is cheaper than buying everything as A.A. and they all function similarily, that is to say they all have the same affliction level and range and time. If any of that is different, then use A.A.
Agreed. Sometimes alternative abilities are simply the best option. For a hopefully upcoming project I have built a lot of Afflictions using alternative enhancements and each typically costs just a few points (so comparable to GURPS Magic) and makes for an easier to read and shorter character sheet. That said, I also use alternative abilities extensively, its rarely cheaper but gives more options,
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 08-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
kirbwarrior

I definitely echo Alternative Enhancements. While there could be the note of different ranges, RoF, areas, etc, this kind of sounds like one ability that can grant someone a power from a list and each gift giving would likely work the same.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I definitely echo Alternative Enhancements. While there could be the note of different ranges, RoF, areas, etc, this kind of sounds like one ability that can grant someone a power from a list and each gift giving would likely work the same.
Note that you can also do different areas of effect, duration's, and areas of effect as alternative enhancements. Either combined as a single set or separate as separate sets.
Example: Set A (effect of Affliction) + Set B (Range or level of Malediction) + Set C (Duration). Then choose the desired effect from Steps A, B, and C to get the desired mix. Lower versions of a set allow more costly versions of another set. It was more work setting that up and more confusing for the GM to read but still easy enough and greatly enhanced flexibility.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #10
Tyneras

Alternative Enhancements are working out great. My strategy is to use the highlight tools and just color the title of the ability in my verbose description and the Alt. Enhancements the same.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote