Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #51
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Pricing of Delusion [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Delusions would definitely alter your way of acting in specific situations. You could for example impose a delusion like "I am safe from all harm as long as I wear my blessed St. Christopher medal" and that would change how you'd act if you were normally a fearful person. But that doesn't mean the person imposing the delusion could specifically impose a specific action.
True. I don't think 'Will attack purple things on sight' means 'Will take some form of Attack Maneuver on purple target on my turn when it enters my sight'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Could be both or neither.
Which, to me, seems to be the important part. From what I can tell, taking Delusion in any of these ways seems valid and thus taking Affliction: Delusion in any of these ways seems similarly valid.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #52
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
True. I don't think 'Will attack purple things on sight' means 'Will take some form of Attack Maneuver on purple target on my turn when it enters my sight'.
Even "Will Attack Purple Things On Sight" isn't a Delusion, it's an Odious Personal Habit... isn't it? I can see allowing "Purple Things Are Alive (And Dangerous)!" as a Delusion, but this only guarantees an attack if your target reacts to such danger in a predictable manner, possibly aided through additional planning and setup.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #53
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Even "Will Attack Purple Things On Sight" isn't a Delusion, it's an Odious Personal Habit... isn't it? I can see allowing "Purple Things Are Alive (And Dangerous)!" as a Delusion, but this only guarantees an attack if your target reacts to such danger in a predictable manner, possibly aided through additional planning and setup.
Honestly, Delusion in Basic doesn't really seem appreciably different from OPH. Like it kind of reads as "OPH because of a not commonly held belief" while other books expand it into more things.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #54
David Johnston2

Quote:
Honestly, Delusion in Basic doesn't really seem appreciably different from OPH. Like it kind of reads as "OPH because of a not commonly held belief" while other books expand it into more things.
No, it's more than that. Let's consider some Delusions

1. A famous dead oppressive tyrant was actually a benevolent dictator who will return when the realm is in need. (Victim will pledge allegiance to anyone who looks like the tyrant and claims to be him.)

2. We are being replaced by robots. (Victim wanders the streets stabbing random passers-by with a long needle to see if they bleed.)

3. We are being invaded by aliens. (Victim hires and equips mercenaries and sends them out to capture and bring back demons and superheroes for scientific study.)

4. My father molested me when I was a little girl. (Victim accuses her father of rape and does her best to ruin his life.)

5. I am safe from attack as long I keep taking pictures. (Victim ignores danger until his camera is full.)

6. My precognitive visions of catastrophe are reliable (Victim has reliable combat precognition but her long term visions are always catastrophic and almost always wrong even if she does nothing. But she commits crimes to try to avert the coming apocalypse)

7. I am hideous. (Victim always wears a mask to conceal his imaginary disfigurement.)

8. I am disgustingly overweight. (Victim constantly starves herself and takes pills to try to keep the weight off.)

I'd say the reaction roll penalty, if there is one is frequently secondary to the dangerous behaviours that the character may indulge in with a severe Delusion.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:38 AM   #55
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No, it's more than that.
I should have emphasized Basic in my post. As written, each level gives a penalty to reactions equal to OPH and both are from some combination of actions that would bring about said reaction penalty. Some of your examples seem to fit better with Untrue Belief which is the type of Delusion that seems to be much more about what you do than how others react. In fact, some of the examples of OPH could be Delusion; Constant Bad Puns because you think you're hilarious, constant scratching to ward off government tagging, tuneless humming because you know the frequency that scrambles alien tech so they can't spy on you, etc.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #56
Celjabba

Quote:
I should have emphasized Basic in my post. As written, each level gives a penalty to reactions equal to OPH and both are from some combination of actions that would bring about said reaction penalty. Some of your examples seem to fit better with Untrue Belief which is the type of Delusion that seems to be much more about what you do than how others react. In fact, some of the examples of OPH could be Delusion; Constant Bad Puns because you think you're hilarious, constant scratching to ward off government tagging, tuneless humming because you know the frequency that scrambles alien tech so they can't spy on you, etc.
So :

OPH :
"You usually or always behave in a (repugnant) way that give a reaction penalty."
The behaviour may be due to a false belief > see delusion.

Delusion:
"You believe something and you must roleplay your belief at all times. This roleplay affect your normal life and give a reaction penalty."
The roleplay may be reduced to specific (repugnant) actions > see OPH .

I think there is enough difference to make this 2 separate disadvantages, although they are close.

But imho, you can have an OPH without belief, and a delusion without preset actions.

Last edited by Celjabba; 09-02-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:20 AM   #57
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I think there is enough difference to make this 2 separate disadvantages, although they are close.

But imho, you can have an OPH without belief, and a delusion without preset actions.
I totally agree on both counts. The important part is can. Which continues into how you have it when you buy it as an affliction. I could even be afflicting the delusion I have! I could have the Delusion of flat earth to the level of "Must convince others I'm right to save their lives!" and afflict exactly the same thing as a misguided form of thinking I'm spreading knowledge.