Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
Tyneras

Default One Mind, Two Bodies

The concept is that a single mind has 2 independent bodies. There is one set of memories and goals, but can otherwise act as 2 identical people.

My first thought was Altered Time Rate (Two Bodies, +0%). You can occupy 2 places at once, but you can also be deprived of ATR by having one imprisoned or otherwise disabled.

Ally (minion) might also work. I don't think duplication is appropriate here, since its a permanent and irreplaceable part of the character.

Am I overlooking something?
Old 08-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: One Mind, Two Bodies

A former thread :
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=94171

which forward to Kromm answer here : http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...233#post470233
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
naloth

Before that solution, I used Duplication, Mindlind, and Telesend (racial).

If the each had different stats. I used Altered Form for two different bodies, which each duplicate was stuck in one form.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
Empada

a long time ago I try to made something similar

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=152862

this is the thread. I hope it help
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Before that solution, I used Duplication, Mindlind, and Telesend (racial).

If the each had different stats. I used Altered Form for two different bodies, which each duplicate was stuck in one form.
Duplication is also discussed by Kromm just below that post, as an option where you can go from one body to many bodies.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
Donny Brook

We are told, ad nauseam, that ATR only gives you one extra maneuvre per turn and absolutely nothing else, despite what the text says and even though that leaves no way to build various abilities that are seen in literature etc.

If that position is correct, then I don't think ATR can do what you are looking for here.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #7
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
We are told, ad nauseam, that ATR only gives you one extra maneuvre per turn and absolutely nothing else, despite what the text says and even though that leaves no way to build various abilities that are seen in literature etc.

If that position is correct, then I don't think ATR can do what you are looking for here.
That is not my reading. While the primary effect of ATR is the extra maneuver, and I imagine you are referring to the post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=751245&postcount=16
My advice here is to ignore the advantage's name . . . it's deceiving. It has long been established that GURPS (like many RPGs) has a whole lot of unintuitively named traits (Honesty disadvantage, Karate skill, etc.). Altered Time Rate is one of these. All ATR does or is supposed to do is give you one extra maneuver per level on your turn; a more accurate name would be Extra Maneuver, but that doesn't sound as cool. At any rate, "one extra maneuver per turn" is what's worth 100 points, not all the other things that might go along with it. To round it out, buy the game-mechanical benefits you want: Basic Move, Basic Speed, Enhanced Defenses, Enhanced Time Sense, etc. Those things are also priced for their effects.

The chief benefit of this "effects-oriented" approach is that you can mix and match just those effects that suit your character. The full package for someone who has a different perception of time is more of a template or a meta-trait built from a bunch of the above traits. I suppose I should apologize for ATR's name – although I didn't come up with it – but let's not dwell on the name when all that matters is the effect.

But there are other (lesser) advantages that come with it :

Powers : complete non combat task quickly
Power up 3 Talents : maintaining multiple job training
Powers : the weird : getting the take extra time bonus
Social engineering : back to school : speeding up learning
Supers : catching bullet, take extra time bonus
forums : enhancing perception : "Very much so. Making two rolls against most mid-range scores is fairly close in effect to having +2 to a single roll."

Then there is the variant suggested here : that is probably closer to what you want :

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1031420&postcount=32
I'd call "Warps Time" a 0% modifier on ATR that extends your advantage effects to any inanimate object you're carrying or holding. (This is a weird power, so let's assume that some observer effect or psi distortion keeps it from affecting people.)

Pros: All your gear works faster. Use full RoF during each maneuver, regardless of the gun; get the benefits of potions, combat drugs, etc. you take in fewer real-world seconds; make quick draws from power holsters within the space of a maneuver; self-sealing armor seals more rapidly in real-world time; and so on. Yay!

Cons: Poison and bombs (like sticky grenades) harm you more quickly once they're in/on you, from your enemies' point of view; comms devices get frequency-shifted and transmit gibberish or go off the net; anything that needs batteries runs out faster, and beneficial drugs and potions have shorter duration, in real-world time; and so on.
That said, I agree that ATR is not the solution to "2 bodies, 1 mind"

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-24-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
The concept is that a single mind has 2 independent bodies. There is one set of memories and goals, but can otherwise act as 2 identical people.

My first thought was Altered Time Rate (Two Bodies, +0%). You can occupy 2 places at once, but you can also be deprived of ATR by having one imprisoned or otherwise disabled.

Ally (minion) might also work. I don't think duplication is appropriate here, since its a permanent and irreplaceable part of the character.

Am I overlooking something?
Minion is the way to go. But what happens when one of them gets bonked on the head?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Minion is the way to go. But what happens when one of them gets bonked on the head?
The GM makes a sensible judgment call.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
Varyon

Duplication (No Sympathetic Injury +20%; Always On -20%) could be an alternative to the Ally build Kromm posted, although this ends up being a bit more expensive (an Always Available, equal point Ally, with a +50% for being playable, costs [30], while this costs [35]). One thing I disagree with the RAW here on is that Telesend that works only with your dupe(s) would have Racial -20% - the Limitation should be worth markedly more, possibly even -80% (One Person Only).