Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #51
cptbutton

Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
There was a TV series called Hawkeye back-in-the-day based on Last of the Mohicans.
There was also a miniseries on Masterpiece Theater back in the 1960s or 70s. Originally made in the UK, I believe.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #52
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The British don't call it that in the present day. We call that one "The American Revolution" or "The American Revolutionary War". The war against the French and Spanish just gets lost in the long series of wars we had against them.

The lesson learned was "Treat colonies better", and we managed the transitions of other colonies into independent states better, mostly.
...I was always taught it as The American War of Independence and AWI is also a fairly common period designator in wargaming.

I'd never heard it called the American Revolution until a decade or two ago and would normally expect a revolution to take place within an existing nation state, not to mark the emergence of a new one.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #53
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
...I was always taught it as The American War of Independence and AWI is also a fairly common period designator in wargaming.

I'd never heard it called the American Revolution until a decade or two ago and would normally expect a revolution to take place within an existing nation state, not to mark the emergence of a new one.
It is called the American revolution as early as the 19th century ... in France.
Obviously in parallel with the French Revolution.

https://books.google.lu/books?id=Ouka3JBXKF4C&pg=PA59
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:53 AM   #54
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
It is called the American revolution as early as the 19th century ... in France.
Obviously in parallel with the French Revolution.

https://books.google.lu/books?id=Ouka3JBXKF4C&pg=PA59
Foreign countries are like the past … they do things differently there. ;-)
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #55
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The British don't call it that in the present day. We call that one "The American Revolution" or "The American Revolutionary War". The war against the French and Spanish just gets lost in the long series of wars we had against them.

The lesson learned was "Treat colonies better", and we managed the transitions of other colonies into independent states better, mostly.
Both the Mandate and India and several African and Asian country are arguable counterexamples although the problems in transition seem to have been mostly local.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #56
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I'd note that SJ himself mentioned at the recent Fnordcon that one of the two historical periods GURPS didn't cover enough was the ACW [1]. Not saying that wasn't the case at the time, but it apparently didn't leave a lasting impression on Steve.

1. The other was WWI.
I think that a problem with ACW is with Age of Napoleon it would have had an undercurrent of been there done that. Of the various Dixie realities I would say that only Dixie-1, 4, and 6 are viable without invoking any ASBs. Early’s Raid was IMHO to late in the war to do any good and Dixie-2 and 3 have a 'how did that happen' feel.

WWI gets overshadowed by WWII. Heck, one of the few video games set in WWI (Battlefield I) effectively turned it into WWII with a different skin. Its like no one knows what to do with it.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #57
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
WWI gets overshadowed by WWII. Heck, one of the few video games set in WWI (Battlefield I) effectively turned it into WWII with a different skin. Its like no one knows what to do with it.
WWI has a few things of note:
- Trench warfare
- Aircraft dogfights
- Armored tanks

All of which were new, and the latter two are also representative of WWII.

And trench warfare is not something anyone really wants to game, as it was a literal meatgrinder, infantry charging machine gun nests.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #58
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
And trench warfare is not something anyone really wants to game, as it was a literal meatgrinder, infantry charging machine gun nests.
You could do a comedic Blackadder goes Forth style campaign.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #59
Gigermann

Quote:
Like a lot of aspects of mass combat in general, this wouldn't be very playable as the focus of a campaign, but can be really tense and chaotic as the background of one.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #60
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
WWI has a few things of note:
- Trench warfare
- Aircraft dogfights
- Armored tanks

All of which were new, and the latter two are also representative of WWII.

True but the main reason for trench warfare was there was a mammoth overestimation of how fast objective would be reached.

There is a reason the Operation Archduke mission in the Time Corp section deals with what is viewed as the key trigger to WWI but there were plenty of points where it could have still not happened.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american revolution