Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #111
adm

Default Re: GURPS Prime Directive

Jean is busy on another project this week end, however; the foot notes with the chart on page 281 states how many charges are used per setting, and the chart on 283 states how many a given weapon has.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #112
dataweaver

I can always gut the technology section of the book and replace it with suitable material from Ultra-Tech and Spaceships; so I'm not terribly worried about that part of things. What I find harder is to put together the Racial Templates; so I'm hoping that this latest edition is fully compatible with 4e in that regard.

I'm hoping for something other than the setting material that I'll find useful; because I've already got the setting material from the other editions of the game.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #113
Jean_Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
I can always gut the technology section of the book and replace it with suitable material from Ultra-Tech and Spaceships; so I'm not terribly worried about that part of things. What I find harder is to put together the Racial Templates; so I'm hoping that this latest edition is fully compatible with 4e in that regard.

I'm hoping for something other than the setting material that I'll find useful; because I've already got the setting material from the other editions of the game.
Every species has been checked to make sure it adds up properly. For species that have societal norms, the cultural advantages and disadvantages are acknowledged in the text so that a player can more easily buy that off. (Biological differences should be more difficult to convince a GM to allow to be changed.) The species of the ISC in particular have been enhanced and updated.

The templates for the academies have been added.

If you don't want the tech, how to play the games, universe background, or ship info, you may only want the first book.
Jean_Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #114
Jean_Sexton

Just a note: I have made sure that it is lifeform (not life form) everywhere and battle station (not battlestation) everywhere in the book. Not a big change, but it niggled.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #115
Gold & Appel Inc

While I do feel bad for Larry Niven over the business decision he made there, the presence of the Kzinti in our version of Trek did allow my Science Officer PC who happened to be a hobbyist wrestler* take down one of their security officers in the session where they were on our ship and then went a little crazypants due to a space-time anomaly.

* He was a Brecon, a race invented in PDVerse as an analogue to the half black, half white, or half white, half black species in that one OG episode. His wrestling and romantic rival was his best friend from the other clan on the same ship, and I wrote up an MA style for both clans that are mostly 4-armed MMA with heavy notes of Boxing and BJJ.
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #116
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
He was a Brecon, a race invented in PDVerse as an analogue to the half black, half white, or half white, half black species in that one OG episode.
Cheronites? Cheronings? Cheronans? Memory Alpha just calls them "Cheron natives." One novel calls them Cheronians.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #117
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Cheronites? Cheronings? Cheronans? Memory Alpha just calls them "Cheron natives." One novel calls them Cheronians.
In PD, they're Brecons who are either Grenpahk or Sorel. Clan name first, Family name second, personal name last. There are functionally no distinctions between the two besides history and cultural habits that suggest but don't mandate different Quirks; the conflict is the point. But I wanted to play a 7'-tall wrestler with four arms whose job is more cerebral at that moment and worked it into his persona. :D
Old 09-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #118
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
In PD, they're Brecons who are either Grenpahk or Sorel. Clan name first, Family name second, personal name last. There are functionally no distinctions between the two besides history and cultural habits that suggest but don't mandate different Quirks; the conflict is the point. But I wanted to play a 7'-tall wrestler with four arms whose job is more cerebral at that moment and worked it into his persona. :D
My Grenpahk rival was basically just like my PC but worked in Engineering. It was a running joke that we thought we were very different and more or less conspired to mess with each other in minor ways unless the chips were really down, in which case, c'mon, Federation.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #119
Jean_Sexton

Sounds like you had fun with the Brecon. I'm glad you did.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #120
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Sexton View Post
Sounds like you had fun with the Brecon. I'm glad you did.
Fun GM, fun role. This is what it's all about.