Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Kale

Default Re: [Spaceships] External Weapons (Missiles, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I really don't see the point of doing this - why not simply replace your Small External Clamp with a Small Weapons Battery - especially if you're limiting the Clamped Weapons to the mass of the Clamp anyway - just get rid of the clamp, put the weapons in the Spaceship as a standard Small System and be done with it - much simpler - and the unfired missiles are protected by the armour.
Yes you get slightly fewer missiles (by mass) when they are part of a Weapons Battery, but is that really such a big issue?
Mainly due to throw weight. On shorter time scales you can fire ALL the missiles in a very short period of time, giving you a good chance of overwhelming an enemy's point defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Under what acceleration? A SSTO HEDM-powered craft and a FPD-powered DSV have wildly differing top accelerations.
This is very true. I went with the theory that the hardpoint would be designed with the maximum acceleration of the craft in mind. I also only tend to use designs with acceleration between 0.5 and 3 G.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #12
Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
OK, so how many hard-points does a fighter get?
That totally depends and is basically a compromise with other design parameters. Performance yets as few as possible. Support jets that can be slow - a LOT. The A10 was (i think it is retired now) a quite extreme number of external weapons when fully loaded - but then it was slow (ok, it was slow anyway - the idea was to slowly go over a battlefield and kill every tank on it's line and drop hell on the enemies).
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
That totally depends and is basically a compromise with other design parameters. Performance yets as few as possible. Support jets that can be slow - a LOT. The A10 was (i think it is retired now) a quite extreme number of external weapons when fully loaded - but then it was slow (ok, it was slow anyway - the idea was to slowly go over a battlefield and kill every tank on it's line and drop hell on the enemies).
The A10 is actually not retired just yet: Apparently there's some sort of extension until 2019-ish as there is a phase-out scheduled over the next five years. They are a simple design so are easy to fix and maintain, but they want to phase it out for the F35 fairly soon. Due to its wide wingspan and strong structure, the A10 can carry up to 8 tons(!) of external stores.

Space fighters not designed to enter atmosphere aren't limited by having wing area under which to hang things. The lack of gravity and atmosphere means you can stick weapons pretty much anywhere you like, including on top of the fighter as well as underneath. Your main limitation would be surface area. Of course surface area is increased with the streamlined or winged options. However, unless the ship has contragrav or does a full burn to land (sets down on its jets or otherwise uses thrust to reduce speed instead of aerobraking) I doubt any external stores would be able to withstand atmospheric re-entry and having external stores would probably limit your maximum atmospheric speed sharply.

Last edited by Kale; 04-06-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fighters, spaceships