Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Help with Binding build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Binding is not a proper grappling ability though like TK, it is fire and forget, and the target is bound until they escape or are freed.
kind of like TK where you buy Persistent + Independent

Quote:
Now, you can probably model Binding as dosappearimg after a set time by taking a variation of Maximum Duration (weakening over time could be modeled with Maximum Duration as well). For example, a character could have Binding 20 (Enguling, +60%; Maximum Duration, 20 seconds, -75%; No Signature, Mundane, +25%) [44] to represent a rapidly evaporating glue.
the prob with that is it seems to require ignore the '5 minutes unusability' factor. It's built for switchable abilities so if I had max dur 12 hours on an attack ability (affliction/binding/innate attack) I'd think it would be I can fire my attacks as long as I want for 12 hours then I expeiience a 5-minute downtime where I can't shoot anybody".

That's prob how it'd work when you do make those attacks switchable w/ Aura guessing.

Why not just give binding a base 10 sec duration?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
kind of like TK where you buy Persistent + Independent
That exact build is likely a better way to make a 'fire and forget' grappling build than Binding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Why not just give binding a base 10 sec duration?
That would vastly underpower Binding. PK has a good starting point of 1 second being -60% for permanent abilities meaning that Binding that lasts only 10 seconds could likely be around -50% (and that seems like a bad deal to me).

http://www.mygurps.com/pmwiki.php?n=...orptionRevised
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

Binding is awesome because it allows for immobilization without resistance. Binding 20 (Engulfing, +60%; Melee, C-1, -20%; Unbreakable, +40%) [72] is a perfectly good way to disable the vast majority of opponents. Since Engulfing forbids using Escape and Unbreakable forbids damaging the binding, the only way to escape is through succeeding on a ST roll. Good luck on that if you do not have Super ST.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Since Engulfing forbids using Escape and Unbreakable forbids damaging the binding, the only way to escape is through succeeding on a ST roll. Good luck on that if you do not have Super ST.
There's always teleporting out, neutralizing, using a power parry, etc.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

You cannot use Concentrate while pinned.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #16
Plane

Quote:
-10 for free action, or compartmentalized mind?

That's actually kind of a super-iffy concept to begin with. Being grappled is obviously super-distracting and should be a penalty to concentrates but not some kind of absolute impossible-to-focus
Old 09-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #17
AlexanderHowl

Regardless of how many Compartmentalized Minds a character has, grappling prevents Concentration maneuvers.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #18
kirbwarrior

Quote:
The way Binding is worded seems to imply the opposite since it says one of your only options is purely mental abilities which I believe uses Concentrate. Really, the fact you can't Concentrate while grappled seems... simplistic. Then again, even though Binding says your victim is grappled, I don't think it actually works the same especially because there is a difference between active grappling and passive holding. If someone is chained up and left to die, are they unable to Concentrate at all?
Old 09-27-2020, 01:12 AM   #19
Plane

Quote:
Regardless of how many Compartmentalized Minds a character has, grappling prevents Concentration maneuvers.
Cole mentioned CM in 2012: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...32&postcount=2

Not sure if he recalled his writing properly though: he introduced the option to Concentrate while grappling (as attacker) rather than as target.

Using that rule (also applies to Aim) both ways sounds like it could make sens.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:45 AM   #20
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Honestly, I could see it going the other way; because only one 'mind' controls the body, the other minds can ignore what happens to it. If they can continue to function while the body's mind is mind controlled, grappling seems no harder. Mentalism would then take that away.