Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #11
phiwum

Default Re: Public gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
For a different buzz on the subject read A Temple of the Six Gates in Hexagram #4.
Dammit, don't tempt me. The missus is already noticing how many times I've made a small purchase at Warehouse 23. PDFs are insidious. No single $5 to $20 purchase is much, but after a while, the sum is more than I should be spending.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
zot

Default Re: Public gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Thanks, I had not seen that thread.

Did you ever run a campaign with such a guild? Might be fun, but for now I'm going for simpler fantasy, something a bit more relatable to the average player and to me. Buncha swords, some guys who cast spells and a bit of intrigue on a small scale appropriate for beginner characters.

There's no doubt that if gates are commonplace, everything is mighty different. That thread spins out some of the differences, a lot more than I had in mind when I posted. I was just puzzling over why my adventure had to do with carts taking items from one place to another if small villages have temporary gates around harvest time.
I have not but I think it's got some good potential. Gates are commonplace in JRPGs where magic and technology frequently mix. I think TFT could do well for science fantasy stories, like in Hawkmoon, some parts of Corum and Elric, certain Conan stories, and Spelljammer (as opposed to urban fantasy and technomancy).
zot is offline   Reply With Quote